U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 09:03 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Everyone's experience is different.

All of the people I know from the NE were either transferred here by their jobs, or moved here for new ones. And none of them want to go back.
Good for them. If you're waiting for me to get defensive like you, it's not going to happen. I'm glad they like it there. You should always like where you live, it's sad when people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but as far as I am concerned and most people I know would not move to a place that I don't think I would like even if they gave me a free new house. I don't understand that frame of mind. If I loved New Jersey I would not leave for a cheaper house. It has to be more than that.
They would if they could no longer afford it. Which is why many leave, especially retirees. People are being "pushed out" of here. It seems like you don't understand just how expensive the NYC area can be. It is very, very hard for some people to get by, especially families with kids. Many are in over their heads, which is partially their own fault of course. It's a different environment up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And a quality of life that is just as good, or better, than the place they left behind. You forgot that part of the equation.
Possibly. It depends.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Good for them. If you're waiting for me to get defensive like you, it's not going to happen. I'm glad they like it there. You should always like where you live, it's sad when people don't.
I'm hardly defensive. I am just fascinated by people like you that simply don't 'get it.'

Quote:
They would if they could no longer afford it. Which is why many leave, especially retirees. It seems like you don't understand just how expensive the NYC area can be. It is very, very hard for some people to get by, especially families with kids. It's a different environment up here.
Most well-informed people are very aware of how ridiculously expensive it has become there. This is hardly news to most, hence the steady drain of population and commerce south for the last 50+ years.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Definitely the former. Far more economic mobility in NYC than in a mid sized metro in the South or Midwest. I get my quality of life from my location, not from the size of my bathroom or whatever. That stuff isn't important to me.

But I think I'm in the minority. Most people probably just want cheap, big housing.

Your thinking is much more in line with a European line of thinking. But I agree with you. I enjoy big city life in a more progressive area. I'd rather live in a well built brick townhome in a big city, than a sprawlville McMansion.

Suburban sprawl American housing stock is crap compared to Europe. Once you live in the place a few years all the problems start to surface. US builders do everything on the cheap, and that is why houses are cheaper here. Looks up EIFS and the water and rot problems people have had with it. Doesn't happen with a well built brick home.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Haters gonna hate. Meanwhile, people keep moving here, building their lives, growing their families, putting down roots, and enjoying the sun and warmth (not to mention the music, the food, the history, and the friendly natives!).

Yes Kathryn you are just so lucky and amazing a person to be living in the South. We are all so jealous up here and wish we could be like you.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,485,363 times
[quote=JerseyGirl415;37791809]Good for them. If you're waiting for me to get defensive like you, it's not going to happen. I'm glad they like it there. You should always like where you live, it's sad when people don't.

They would if they could no longer afford it. Which is why many leave, especially retirees. People are being "pushed out" of here. It seems like you don't understand just how expensive the NYC area can be. It is very, very hard for some people to get by, especially families with kids. Many are in over their heads, which is partially their own fault of course. It's a different environment up here.[/quote]

Well I think it is a damn shame that people are unable to live in the state that they love because it is too expensive. To me that is not something to be proud about. It is actually sad.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm hardly defensive. I am just fascinated by people like you that simply don't 'get it.'

Most well-informed people are very aware of how ridiculously expensive it has become there. This is hardly news to most, hence the steady drain of population and commerce south for the last 50+ years.
Then Scotty would see why people who love NJ would still leave it.

And what don't I get? I haven't once here ragged on the South, and I won't. I like it there. While it is true that it is a poorer region than where I live, with less healthy and educated people (yes these are facts, no need to get so angry at NOLA and others for pointing them out) I genuinely like it. None of that matters to me when it comes to visiting a place. I like its charm and history. I like warm weather, not sure I could handle it all year seeing as I love true four seasons with snow, but warmth during a time of year where it is cold here is a nice change for a bit. I have a lot of family in the South, notably South Carolina and Texas. I have nothing against it. I visited Texas for the first time this past summer and I was so excited about it. All I said was that it is known around here to be so cheap, which is why so many move there from here. People love big homes and they love cheap. Big homes are not cheap here, from list price to taxes to overall COL. Many genuinely cannot make it in New Jersey or other parts of the Northeast and need to move somewhere cheaper. What's the problem? What don't I get?

If you think people primarily move South for outdoor activities or friendly people or something other than 1. cost and 2. weather you're delusional. Again - the perception of the South here, especially a state like NC, is cheap housing.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,485,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes Kathryn you are just so lucky and amazing a person to be living in the South. We are all so jealous up here and wish we could be like you.

We know that, or you would not be on here complaining all of the time. You see people that have to put down other places have a problem. They are only trying to make themselves feel better of their own miserable lives. Like she said. Haters have got to spread their hate. Educated people know better.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:20 PM

[quote=Scotty011;37791889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

They would if they could no longer afford it. Which is why many leave, especially retirees. People are being "pushed out" of here. It seems like you don't understand just how expensive the NYC area can be. It is very, very hard for some people to get by, especially families with kids. Many are in over their heads, which is partially their own fault of course. It's a different environment up here.[/quote]

Well I think it is a damn shame that people are unable to live in the state that they love because it is too expensive. To me that is not something to be proud about. It is actually sad.
It is a shame but that's what you get for 1. living above your means (and PLENTY do) and 2. wanting to live near the country's most cosmopolitan and famous city.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:20 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And the historical, long-term growth patterns confirm it.

I guess Chris Christie's new "We'll pay you to stay" scheme may turn the tide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or