U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Of course why would anyone want to live in this horrible place if it was not for cheap housing. I mean everything else here is so miserably horrible only fools would want to move here. My, my, my. And the damn fools are coming by the thousands monthly. Are they in for a surprise.

Dude, you act as if no one is moving in the other direction. You need to get out more. I run into southerners all the time up here that have moved here for jobs. I work with a women born and raised in Mobile, AL. I recently had surgery on my elbow at the Rothman Institute here in Philadelphia. Lo and behold my therapist born and raised in TN and loves living here.

Get over yourselves down there. You act as if every single person is moving south. They're not. There are still millions here and great jobs to be had. Honestly, the only people I know moving south are retired folks who don't want to deal with the cold anymore. But even some of them come back.

https://www.google.com/webhp?gws_rd=...mployment+rate

PA unemployment rate 5.6%
SC unemployment rate 6.7%

https://bber.unm.edu/econ/us-pci.htm

Per capita personal income
PA = 43,616 ranked 19th
SC = 34,266 ranked 48th

Cost of Living by State

Cost of living (national avg = 100)

SC = 95
PA = 101.1

Your state is no where near providing a better "American Dream" than PA is. If I were looking for a job I wouldn't head to your state. If I were an old baby boomer looking for suburban golf course sprawl then I would head to Myrtle Beach where most of all the growth in SC is happening. In fact, your coast is being destroyed by all the sprawl being built all over it by retirees moving there. In a few years your coast from NC to GA will be over developed and too crowded. Then the retirees will look for somewhere else to wreck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:29 PM

13,097 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And a lot of them are stuck in the urban ghettos. Their southern/western counterparts are most likely making a lot more money. The Koreans in Northern Atlanta are making really good money and live in the nice well-off educated suburbs.
Minority poverty is generally higher in the South. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:31 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And the historical, long-term growth patterns confirm it.
You mean population growth, not economic growth. The weakest economies in the U.S. are in the Southeast.

Raw population growth has nothing to do with a more desirable location. Malibu, Aspen, and East Hampton are all tiny towns, with basically no population growth. Some random Crapville in Sunbelt Sprawlandia will have super high population growth.

But that doesn't mean people prefer to live in Crapville as opposed to Malibu, Aspen or East Hampton. It's just that they want cheap housing and they can find it in Crapville.

Even in the Sunbelt, you see this phenomenon. The richest cities in Texas are two Dallas suburbs- Highland Park and University Park. Those two cities have basically no population growth. They have been "stagnant" for decades. Yet they are the most desirable places to live anywhere in Texas.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

People do NOT move to the South simply because housing is less expensive. That is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it. People move here for MANY reasons that include, but are not limited to:

Jobs
Lower cost of living overall
Lower taxes
Friendly people
Better winters
Lots of outdoor activities/recreation
Southern ambiance (slower pace of life, traditional values, rich cultural history, friendly people, great food, etc)

The South isn't a fit for everyone - but neither is any other region. And that's OK - we have lots of regions to choose from. If you don't appreciate what the South offers, please live elsewhere. We're fine with that!
Why is it that when people talk about the South, it sounds like they're reading bullet points from a pamphlet at a travel agency?

Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
[quote=JerseyGirl415;37791928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

It is a shame but that's what you get for 1. living above your means (and PLENTY do) and 2. wanting to live near the country's most cosmopolitan and famous city.

I am in no way trying to run any place down. I just simply do not care for "big" cities. It is not my idea of good living. People running around like ants all day long. I very much like smaller places where you can breathe. Everybody to their own thinking though. The farther away from a big city the happier I am.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:34 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Minority poverty is generally higher in the South. I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Minority poverty is much higher in the South. The commentor has no idea what he's talking about.

There are no "urban ghettos" for Koreans in the North. What does that even mean? In the NYC area, they live in upscale parts of Eastern Queens, and in upscale parts of Bergen County, NJ. There is no remotely undesirable area in the NYC area with a significant Korean population.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Dude, you act as if no one is moving in the other direction. You need to get out more. I run into southerners all the time up here that have moved here for jobs. I work with a women born and raised in Mobile, AL. I recently had surgery on my elbow at the Rothman Institute here in Philadelphia. Lo and behold my therapist born and raised in TN and loves living here.

Get over yourselves down there. You act as if every single person is moving south. They're not. There are still millions here and great jobs to be had. Honestly, the only people I know moving south are retired folks who don't want to deal with the cold anymore. But even some of them come back.

PA unemployment rate 5.6%
SC unemployment rate 6.7%

https://bber.unm.edu/econ/us-pci.htm

Per capita personal income
PA = 43,616 ranked 19th
SC = 34,266 ranked 48th

Cost of Living by State

Cost of living (national avg = 100)

SC = 95
PA = 101.1

Your state is no where near providing a better "American Dream" than PA is. If I were looking for a job I wouldn't head to your state. If I were an old baby boomer looking for suburban golf course sprawl then I would head to Myrtle Beach where most of all the growth in SC is happening. In fact, your coast is being destroyed by all the sprawl being built all over it by retirees moving there. In a few years your coast from NC to GA will be over developed and too crowded. Then the retirees will look for somewhere else to wreck.

"Dude"? I am tired of hateful people. The ignorance here is making my head hurt. I will no longer discuss this with you. BTW a little education will help you understand things a little better.
Well what do you know, you have 2 count them 2 southerners who love it there.
Last year we had 1,230 people moving into this state every month. Check it out.In March the Census Bureau said the Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach metro areas were the three fastest-growing on the Atlantic Coast in 2013. The tri-county Charleston metro area grew by roughly 1,230 people each month last year. South Carolina was home to all three of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas on the Atlantic Coast in 2013, new Census Bureau estimates say.
Greater Charleston is the largest of those metro areas, and it has accounted for nearly a third of the state's population growth since the last census in 2010.

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC16/141229759

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-27-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
My, how impressive!

It doesn't really matter, though. People have been voting with their feet for decades now, and they continue to do so.
So for the first few centuries of the US' existence, people apparently preferred cold winters and everything North, as those are the places that boomed, and most of it continued to do so through about 1950.

The South's more recent boom likely peaked during the 1990s or a little before.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
FWIW, the number 1 and often only important reason everyone (not exaggerating) I know from New Jersey and New York moved South (sometimes to retire, sometimes to not) was because it's cheaper. You can get a big house for less than you can here and taxes are lower. Number 1 reason. Even above weather.
That's because very few people actually move for weather. The census does surveys on this as well, and economic reasons are always number 1, followed by family/school. Weather is like part of the 1% or less category that's basically misc.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:53 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,803,577 times
California's incredibly high cost of living is one of the reasons prople are heading south. I lived in the south and plan to move back, not simply for the low COL, but because it's a good fit for me. I love California, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or