U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

I am in no way trying to run any place down. I just simply do not care for "big" cities. It is not my idea of good living. People running around like ants all day long. I very much like smaller places where you can breathe. Everybody to their own thinking though. The farther away from a big city the happier I am.
Neither am I. You're allowed to not like big cities. Personally I can't imagine NOT living here, 20 miles from New York. It's a great life IMO. I have access to so much in this metro. It is expensive but if you can afford it and live within your means it's so worth it. Most who leave either simply can't afford it here any longer (for various reasons) or are sick of the cold winters (usually old people). Trust me, seriously, people don't commonly leave for other reasons. Not sure why it's so hard for some to understand and some seem to be in denial (and accusing us of being ignorant and uneducated) but people move North to South mainly because it's cheaper overall, from real estate to COL. People probably move North for better job opportunities - most people on the NJ forum posting about moving from out of state preface their posts with something along these lines: "my husband (or I) recently got offered a job in New York City making $X and we are interested in moving to New Jersey within close proximity to Manhattan."

It is what it is. If you told me that the Northeast is very expensive and has cold, snowy winters, and that NJ is extremely dense and urban I wouldn't get mad like some Southerners here are getting mad when we say the South is cheaper and less wealthy and educated yadda yadda. What's there to get mad for, it's all true? It's not like we're making up these stats. The federal government tracks these things, you can find them yourselves. The defensiveness is truly astounding. Some of you guys can't hear anything without taking it as an instant insult It makes genuine conversation very difficult. Again - I'm not here to bash the South. But with reactions I'm getting you'd think I just bombed it or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:15 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,144,021 times
In 1950 CA pushed past PA in population signifying the massive change in the country with the West being the new land of opportunity
CA 10,586,223
PA 10,498,012

Now with the population at over 37 million CA is reeling under the weight of no infrastructure to handle it's population. It is a very divided along economic lines.

Georgia was just becoming comfortable as air conditioning started becoming comfortable. Now using percentages it is growing twice the speed of California.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,278,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes Kathryn you are just so lucky and amazing a person to be living in the South. We are all so jealous up here and wish we could be like you.
I'll give her credit for being proud of being an American unlike you with your constant whining about the United States.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:18 PM

5,314 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The South's more recent boom likely peaked during the 1990s or a little before.
No. The South hasn't peaked yet.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:21 PM

45,084 posts, read 36,303,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm just sharing the experiences of everyone I know who has chosen to move South - usually NC, but sometimes SC, Florida, VA outside DC area, and Texas. Number one reason was always cost. The South is notorious around here for being so cheap. Everyone knows you can get a large, usually new home, in a development often, for super cheap compared to what we're used to - list price and taxes. Many people know at least one family/person who have decided to make the move for that reason. Sometimes people don't even care about weather.
If it was awful when they got here, don't you think they'd move back? THEY RARELY GO BACK. And it's not just because "it's cheap." Lots of places are cheap, even in the northeast, once you get out of metro areas. If it was just cheap they wanted, they'd move to WV or western PA or some place like that. So it's gotta be more than that.

It IS more than that in the long run. People may be initially attracted to the SE because of the cost of living, but that's not enough to keep someone in a place they dislike. If that was the case, I'd be moving to (fill in the blank - believe it or not, there are all sorts of places less expensive than northeast Texas).

Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If it was awful when they got here, don't you think they'd move back? THEY RARELY GO BACK. And it's not just because "it's cheap." Lots of places are cheap, even in the northeast, once you get out of metro areas. If it was just cheap they wanted, they'd move to WV or western PA or some place like that. So it's gotta be more than that.

It IS more than that in the long run. People may be initially attracted to the SE because of the cost of living, but that's not enough to keep someone in a place they dislike. If that was the case, I'd be moving to (fill in the blank - believe it or not, there are all sorts of places less expensive than northeast Texas).
Because they can't afford to go back. It's a fairly common story up here. Not that complicated.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes Kathryn you are just so lucky and amazing a person to be living in the South. We are all so jealous up here and wish we could be like you.
I agree with you that I am lucky to live in Texas, but please don't be jealous. Jealousy is not an attractive trait.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM

5,314 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
Because they can't afford to go back. It's a fairly common story up here. Not that complicated.
Keep telling yourself that. I'm glad that living next to the supposed 'center of the universe' boosts everyone's self worth.

People should definitely live where it makes them happy.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Then Scotty would see why people who love NJ would still leave it.

And what don't I get? I haven't once here ragged on the South, and I won't. I like it there. While it is true that it is a poorer region than where I live, with less healthy and educated people (yes these are facts, no need to get so angry at NOLA and others for pointing them out) I genuinely like it.
Here's a pertinent fact that people often overlook. EVERYONE in the south is not "less healthy and less educated" than EVERYONE in other regions. There are certain demographic groups who have more health issues or who may be less educated, but it's a mistake to assume that people in general are less educated or more obese or whatever. Some groups really bring down the averages. Sad but true.

Quote:
None of that matters to me when it comes to visiting a place. I like its charm and history. I like warm weather, not sure I could handle it all year seeing as I love true four seasons with snow, but warmth during a time of year where it is cold here is a nice change for a bit.
Most places in the South really do have four seasons - I promise you (excluding some coastal or extreme south areas).

Quote:
I have a lot of family in the South, notably South Carolina and Texas. I have nothing against it. I visited Texas for the first time this past summer and I was so excited about it.
Oh, I hope you had a marvelous time! Hopefully you got to spend some time in some of our metro areas as well as rural areas.

Quote:
All I said was that it is known around here to be so cheap, which is why so many move there from here. People love big homes and they love cheap. Big homes are not cheap here, from list price to taxes to overall COL. Many genuinely cannot make it in New Jersey or other parts of the Northeast and need to move somewhere cheaper. What's the problem? What don't I get?
Well, the reverse is that your part of the country is known around here to be very expensive, which is why so many people move from there to here. Nothing wrong with wanting a more comfortable home and maybe some acreage. But that's not what keeps people here - that's all we're saying.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Even in the Sunbelt, you see this phenomenon. The richest cities in Texas are two Dallas suburbs- Highland Park and University Park. Those two cities have basically no population growth. They have been "stagnant" for decades. Yet they are the most desirable places to live anywhere in Texas.
Really? I think not. Most people I know in Texas are definitely not Jonesin' for Highland park or University Park. Come to think of it, I don't know ANYONE who wants to live there. Which is why, I guess, their growth is stagnant.

Northeast Texas is booming, the Hill Country (central Texas) is booming, Houston is booming, Dallas is booming. But not everyone wants to spend a million dollars on a house. Even if they could.

My husband and I just bought a beautiful, 2600 square foot home in northeast Texas. We bought a home that was less than half of what we "qualified for," and the sticker price would probably absolutely shock many people on this forum.

Many people can afford a lot more than they buy, just so you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or