U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-28-2014, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,143,519 times
Reputation: 7075

Advertisements

8to32characters was right on when he said that North Carolina feels southern because there's too much "bubba" talk. That's how I felt about it, too, when I stayed there for a month, last year in Charlotte. Despite all the transplants, it still felt southern in general. I mean, if you compare say, Atlanta to Boston, the difference is night and day. Or Raleigh to Hartford....despite all the transplants in those southern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,380,569 times
Reputation: 8288
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Forbes is a right wing magazine. They're saying "the most business friendly, low regulation states". Obviously the poorer states have less regulation and are at face value more business friendly.
How funny that you post about how Forbes is a right wing magazine catering to red states when the poster a
couple posts before you cited a Forbes article to make almost an opposite point. Perhaps more ironically, I agree with you about Forbes' credibility (though I disagree with you most of the time.) San Diego is a relatively awful place to start a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
1,392 posts, read 1,277,768 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Forbes is a right wing magazine. They're saying "the most business friendly, low regulation states". Obviously the poorer states have less regulation and are at face value more business friendly.
lol okay so someone can post something from Forbes on here that shows the south not being a good place for start up companies but I post something from Forbes about the best states for business and that ticks you off? How typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,264,768 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
lol okay so someone can post something from Forbes on here that shows the south not being a good place for start up companies but I post something from Forbes about the best states for business and that ticks you off? How typical.
You must not be responding to me, because nothing you wrote refers to my post.

I am not "ticked off" and all I wrote is that Forbes is a right-wing magazine supporting minimal regulation, which is well-known.

I have no idea what you're even trying to say in your post, as obviously start-up companies are not as prevalent in the deep south as in places like California or New York, and obviously everyone from right wing to left wing, including Forbes, would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,264,768 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
How funny that you post about how Forbes is a right wing magazine catering to red states when the poster a
couple posts before you cited a Forbes article to make almost an opposite point.
I don't see what is "funny". Forbes is a legitimate news source. The point I was making (which seemed obvious to me, but apparently not to others) is that Forbes is judging "good business climate" with a certain perspective that is obviously slanted towards minimal regulation.

That's totally fine, but then don't take a Forbes list of "best business climate" to be a proxy for most robust business centers in the U.S. It's basically ranking where it's cheapest to do business, not where it's most desirable to do business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
1,392 posts, read 1,277,768 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You must not be responding to me, because nothing you wrote refers to my post.

I am not "ticked off" and all I wrote is that Forbes is a right-wing magazine supporting minimal regulation, which is well-known.

I have no idea what you're even trying to say in your post, as obviously start-up companies are not as prevalent in the deep south as in places like California or New York, and obviously everyone from right wing to left wing, including Forbes, would agree.
I pointed out that forbes article since someone else posted an article from forbes to try and state that the south sucks to do business in and that the north east and california were better. So I found an article that showed which states were rated as the best for business by forbes and the northeast states and california weren't in the top ten and then you went off a rant about forbes being unreliable source that's what I found hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't see what is "funny". Forbes is a legitimate news source. The point I was making (which seemed obvious to me, but apparently not to others) is that Forbes is judging "good business climate" with a certain perspective that is obviously slanted towards minimal regulation.

That's totally fine, but then don't take a Forbes list of "best business climate" to be a proxy for most robust business centers in the U.S. It's basically ranking where it's cheapest to do business, not where it's most desirable to do business.
Places where it's cheap to do business are generally more desirable then places where it's expensive to do business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2014, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,308 posts, read 3,520,434 times
Reputation: 4494
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
8to32characters was right on when he said that North Carolina feels southern because there's too much "bubba" talk. That's how I felt about it, too, when I stayed there for a month, last year in Charlotte. Despite all the transplants, it still felt southern in general. I mean, if you compare say, Atlanta to Boston, the difference is night and day. Or Raleigh to Hartford....despite all the transplants in those southern cities.
This so called 'bubba talk' is called regional culture.

Are you advocating that it should be totally erased by transplants to make things 'less Southern?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,340 posts, read 10,326,456 times
Reputation: 5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
First off all the premise of this entire thread is ridiculous on the face of it. Think about it, we're comparing 1 state to an entire region. California has the largest population in the country for a reason and real estate/COL is higher for a reason. Supply and demand. California on it's own has 8th largest economy in the world and it's population is larger than South Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Louisiana combined. The fact that we're comparing a large collection of states to 1 state shows the power and importance of California.

People on here act like the only states with any opportunity are southern ones yet economic mobility is more difficult in the south. Also according to Forbes the top 10 best places to start a company were as follows:

1. San Diego, CA
2. Denver, CO
3. Austin, TX
4. Seattle, WA
5. Portland, OR
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Dallas, TX
8. Boston, MA
9. New York, NY
10. Chicago, IL


8 of those cities are not in the south and Texas is as far west as you can go and still be in "the south." 6 of them are coastal and even Boston and NYC (2 whipping boys for low tax advocates) are in the top 10. Somehow millions and millions and millions of people are finding ways to make it. Somehow we can overcome our "coastal bitterness"(???) and make our way.

I forgot how touchy southerners are about their region. Any statement that's not 1000% supportive of the south or can be perceived as slightly critical is met with a giant persecution complex and a lot of backlash. I lived in Georgia for 8 years and for the most part I loved it. The rolling hills in the south are beautiful. Yet that doesn't change the fact that on average the south is cheaper, less educated, more obese, and has a lesser economic mobility rate than the rest of the country. People who live in the south love it there, and a lot of people who move there love it. They move to the south for a myriad of reasons but a lot of it does have to do with the lower COL and lower housing prices. If it makes southerners feel better to believe that everyone moves to the south because they love southern culture, food, music, and people more than "yankee" things than so be it. As an aside, I do miss southern food.
Thank you for stating the obvious. There is no region in the US with a more giant chip on their shoulder than the South. Hmm, why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,237,770 times
Reputation: 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Thank you for stating the obvious. There is no region in the US with a more giant chip on their shoulder than the South. Hmm, why is that?
And if you think what you see on C-D is bad, pay eastern Kentucky a real life visit. Anywhere from Corbin and Mount Sterling on east into the state. Talk about a chip on the shoulder, hyper-defensive mentality if ever there was one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2014, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,143,519 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This so called 'bubba talk' is called regional culture.

Are you advocating that it should be totally erased by transplants to make things 'less Southern?'
No, I don't think southern culture should be eradicated. I think it's nice to have different cultures in different regions of our country. If everywhere was homogenized culturally, that would be boring.

All I would ask for is for southerners to stop referring to northerners as Yankees and be welcoming of transplants. Northerners are Americans too and have every right to move down south and build a life, if they choose to do so. Likewise, southerners have every right to move up north and build a life, if they choose to do so. When southerners move up north, we do not look down upon them or label them or whatever. We simply don't care, either way. There are a decent handful of southern transplants living here in New England, for example. I see people from Texas in my apartment complex or at my gym, or that have relocated here for work or whatever. I see South Carolina license plates pretty much every day here in CT. But they're probably just visiting or something...I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top