U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:03 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,767,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As the invasion continues, the fleeing Californians and New Englanders will turn the southeast into the same high cost/high tax mess they fled because it never dawns on them that they and their needs and demands are the reasons the old state was such a mess.
Ummm... yeah, I could make a list of all the "Yankee hating" quotes such as this one if I wasn't typing from phone. ...

PS- I found this quote below particularly relevant since my roommate moved to THIS EXACT LOCATION for work and he was NOT happy about it to say the least! He's been with company almost 20yrs.

"As if anyone willingly moves to Greenville, SC from LA, SF, or Seattle?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:23 AM

44,990 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Ummm... yeah, I could make a list of all the "Yankee hating" quotes such as this one if I wasn't typing from phone. ...

PS- I found this quote below particularly relevant since my roommate moved to THIS EXACT LOCATION for work and he was NOT happy about it to say the least! He's been with company almost 20yrs.

"As if anyone willingly moves to Greenville, SC from LA, SF, or Seattle?"
You do know that personal anecdotes really prove nothing, right? I mean, I could fill your ears with personal anecdotes of people who have moved to the south, even to towns smaller than Greenville, SC, from LA, SF and Seattle (and other regions), who absolutely HATED living in those areas and who were thrilled to be moving here. I was a realtor for many years so I met a lot of transplants from other regions - and I got to hear WHY they were moving here - to a mid sized town in the South. Nearly all of them moved for either a job or to be closer to family, or both. Retirees usually moved due to a combo - better weather (in their opinion) and to be closer to kids, who had often moved to one of our big metro areas (DFW, Austin, Houston, etc) and they wanted to live in an area that wasn't so congested but closer to grandkids.

Not one time - NOT ONCE - did I ever hear anyone say, "Oh, I'm moving to the south because of the low cost of housing." Though, that being said, they were invariably thrilled with that added benefit!

Now that I think of it, though I was a listing agent (focused on selling my listings vs being a buyers' agent, though of course I did both), I do not recall ever, not one time, listing someone's house because they were moving to the southwest or northeast, or for that matter, the midwest. I did list some homes because people were moving to a larger metro area (usually in the south) and once or twice I listed homes because people were retiring to FL. Actually, I recall some clients who were moving to CO and one set who were moving to Vegas of all places. Both of those were because of personal interests/hobbies.

But of course, these personal anecdotes don't prove anything.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 AM

10,166 posts, read 6,500,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually, here are some quotes from this thread that have ticked those who love the south off. I would hardly call these sorts of statements "balanced, reasonable, and even handed" and I would say that these sorts of comments are sure to elicit a defensive response:

Yeah...I'd say that this sort of diatribe pretty much smacks of "hater."

Thanks, Kathryn. can't rep you again, but as usual you are right on.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 AM

10,166 posts, read 6,500,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unfortunately, it's predictable and common on this board for some reason.

So common that it's almost boring.

The ignorance of "the enlightened ones" is totally amazing to me.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As the invasion continues, the fleeing Californians and New Englanders will turn the southeast into the same high cost/high tax mess they fled because it never dawns on them that they and their needs and demands are the reasons the old state was such a mess.
+1

I agree. However to be fair, while many will unfortunately vote for the same policies and procedures that made their old states so expensive - not everyone is so blind.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 AM

775 posts, read 844,486 times
Remember, California itself is more than just the LA/SD and Bay Area regions with the high prices. The Central Valley is another large region with the cost of living close to average compared to the rest of the country, and there are other regions such as the high desert, Central Coast, and some nice small towns/cities in the northern part of the state. If anything, I think of all the states that border California as "new American Dream destinations" for their families who were raised in CA, while the Southeast is more towards Rust Belt refugees and some who got priced out of the Northeast or simply hate the cold northern winters. Then you have Texas which are a combination of CA transplants and some midwesterners. California will continue to attract some immigrants as a gateway destination before moving elsewhere unless if they can "make it there".

Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/up...abt=0002&abg=1

"The Southeast has replaced California as the place where many people now go to find the American dream."

The article states that holiday travel patterns have shifted such that most people now travel from the Southeast to California or the Northeast. In the past, it was the other way around.

The article cites that the main reason is cost of living and/or warm climate. It also mentions that the politics of the South are becoming more liberal as a result.
It's kind of funny. People are leaving California by the boxcar because regulation and taxation have made that state one of the worst places in the country in terms of cost of living and friendliness to business. So they move to the Southeast, bringing along with them the political philosophies that made California untenable in the first place.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,994 times
Man, there's so much vitriol in this thread. How do you guys wake up everyday and not want to off yourselves? I hope you people are like this as part of an internet persona and not this bitter about things beyond your control in real life because damn, if so, I think I'll invest money in heart medication.

I understand there's a decent amount of you who are retirees, but dragging the rest of us down to wherever you guys are isn't going to help with anything.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 PM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
+1

I agree. However to be fair, while many will unfortunately vote for the same policies and procedures that made their old states so expensive - not everyone is so blind.
Also, I think the dynamics are different in terms of government structure, development, immigration, etc. to the point that some policies aren't given a second thought.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
High crime in the South? Maybe in New Orleans, but most of the South is safe. The South has gators, yes--but AZ has rattlesnakes, scorpions, and other such undesirable creatures. The torrential rain--it is a tropical, warm rain that happens in the summer and only lasts an hour. Afterwards, it's sunny again. It keeps everything lush and green--something that the brown dirt of AZ will never know.

Let's not act like AZ is a paradise. Y'all get chilly winter rain, and high humidity/torrential downpours in the monsoon season. Cold weather also makes its way into Phoenix a lot of the time. As for skiing--didn't you move to Az to get AWAY from snow? Most people prefer beaches, something that AZ lacks, while the South has this:
High crime exists all over the south... Miami, Memphis, NOLA, ATL, etc. Even the smallish town of Clarksville, TN, where we lived was plagued. It was awful.

Yes, AZ has rattlers and scorpions, but so does the south. There are several rattlesnake species and scorpions species, so the south is no different in that aspect. Its all the other bugs the SE has that are what make it miserable, especially chiggers. Screw chiggers!

I didnt say AZ was a paradise. Im the first to point out its shortcomings. We do get some chilly winter rain, but it hardly often.

I didnt move to AZ to get away from snow. I moved here for my wife's health. And its nice to be able to drive just 90 minutes or so to go see the snow or go a little further to go skiing. Cant do that in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or