U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I miss the snow. Im like you, I dont want a lot of it, just an inch or two that lasts a few days. In fact, my only beef with snow is the salt they use to dissipate it... it eats the crap outta your car.

Fountain Hills is one of my favorite 'burbs here. Its just a little too far out for me to consider it, but I love going there. I try and go at least once a month to Fountain Hills just to marvel in its beauty.

They have a beautiful view of the snow capped mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,621,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Let me let you in a little secret...the vast majority of people don't hate the south. They simply don't care about it. This idea that the south is this persecuted and hated region exists solely in the mind's of southerners.
I don't totally agree it seems like people from rural parts of Appalachia are considered the one group of people it's considered ok to hate against and discriminate against. Terms like hillbilly, cracker, and hoopie are technically ethnic slurs. Sure some call themselves that BUT it's the equivalent of a black person calling themselves the N word. They're allowed to do it. White people aren't. You will see people use these terms though and it's considered socially acceptable. Also all of this transfers over to the corporate world in my opinion. Appalachia isn't just part of the South it covers a very large region but a lot of it is rural.

This article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette hits the nail on the head:

Hating rural Americans | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-30-2014, 03:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,012,287 times
My American Dream does not include the Southeast.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:49 PM

44,656 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That's just like where I live. People go nuts when it snows. I like snow, but I only want it to stay around 3 or 4 days then I want it to disappear. I have several friends that live in Arizona around Fountain Hills.
Several DAYS? I want it gone in 24 hours! LOL

But even though I personally don't care for snow and ice, that doesn't mean I will come onto this forum (or even in real life) and bash another region or state. I guess I've traveled around enough to realize - or at least it's my opinion - that different people love different regions for different REASONS - and that's OK. I just don't understand why some people, particularly on this forum, apparently feel like they have to put other regions or states down. I don't personally care for snow, or for large urban areas, or for lots of cloudy days, or for flat terrain, or (fill in the blank) but I also know that other people have very good reasons for choosing to live in areas with those attributes - and they have valid reasons for loving those areas. GOOD FOR THEM! I want them to be happy, to prosper, to enjoy their lives in those areas that are so different from my area.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that if life circumstances mandated that I move to a a state or region that doesn't particularly appeal to me, I'd be happily settled in, enjoying certain aspects of it, and tolerating others, within just a few weeks. Every region and every state has some real positives and one of the biggest positives is that they're all part of the United States.

Each area is in a sense a national treasure. I don't have to put any state or person down in order to absolutely love where I live or make myself feel validated about my lifestyle choices.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Several DAYS? I want it gone in 24 hours! LOL

But even though I personally don't care for snow and ice, that doesn't mean I will come onto this forum (or even in real life) and bash another region or state. I guess I've traveled around enough to realize - or at least it's my opinion - that different people love different regions for different REASONS - and that's OK. I just don't understand why some people, particularly on this forum, apparently feel like they have to put other regions or states down. I don't personally care for snow, or for large urban areas, or for lots of cloudy days, or for flat terrain, or (fill in the blank) but I also know that other people have very good reasons for choosing to live in areas with those attributes - and they have valid reasons for loving those areas. GOOD FOR THEM! I want them to be happy, to prosper, to enjoy their lives in those areas that are so different from my area.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that if life circumstances mandated that I move to a a state or region that doesn't particularly appeal to me, I'd be happily settled in, enjoying certain aspects of it, and tolerating others, within just a few weeks. Every region and every state has some real positives and one of the biggest positives is that they're all part of the United States.

Each area is in a sense a national treasure. I don't have to put any state or person down in order to absolutely love where I live or make myself feel validated about my lifestyle choices.

Bless your heart!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You really can, I've thought about this too. There's nothing too "American" about the "American dream." I guess it's just the perception of America as a free place where you can do what you want and where anything is possible.
"American dream" must refer to the very rare cases of people moving to America and getting wealthy in Hollywood or Wall Street (impossible to do so in other countries).

Old 12-31-2014, 04:56 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
Education and the American Dream: California versus the Southeast, by EclecticEars

To California's credit, they don't have roving Tea Party nut jobs actively suing libraries on the premise of "illegal taxation," and a substantial population calling for libraries' closures due to their "irrelevance." Kentucky and Texas (though not a Southeastern state) have that problem.

At least California values education more than the Southeastern states, instrumental in helping people cultivate their "American dream." While California has some abysmal school systems (LAUSD, Santa Ana USD, Oakland USD, San Francisco USD with the exception of Lowell High School...), there are also a great many school systems in places like Walnut Creek, Orinda, Moraga, South Orange County, Carlsbad, Los Alamitos, Santa Clarita, much of Silicon Valley, etc. that are essentially mills that produce graduates by the hundreds that ultimately attend Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, USC, UW-Seattle, UT-Austin, the Ivies of the East Coast, etc.

The California Community College System is still one of the most affordable, easily accessible means to higher education in the world. At less than $50 per credit hour and with over 100 campuses offering academic and technical training, coursework is also very transferrable to many degree fields in the CSU and UC systems. This is one of the best transfer and reciprocity agreements on Earth.

The California State University system offers 23 campuses (I do believe), providing academic-based training to help one decide their life path or advance their careers. Cal Poly campuses in San Luis Obispo and Cal Poly Pomona are the co-flagships, in essence, of the CSUs, and while they are not full-fledged doctoral research institutions, they rank very highly among regional institutions on the West Coast. CPSLO grads have one of the highest lifetime income earning expectancies among college graduates in the U.S., probably because of their specializations (and excellent internship and real-world experience opportunities provided to students) in engineering and architecture. CPSLO and CPP would both rank at least as high, and honestly, probably higher, than a lot of Southern states' flagships (UK in Kentucky, UGA in Georgia, USC/Clemson in South Carolina, etc.) Within CSU, strong programs in business can also be found at San Diego, in transportation studies at Long Beach, in maritime studies at California Maritime, and public administration at San Francisco.

The University of California system with its 11 campuses (if you count Hastings School of Law) is more expensive than the CSUs, but heavily geared toward research and production and has six campuses that are considered Public Ivies: Berkeley, UCLA, San Diego, Irvine, Davis, and Santa Barbara. Berkeley has a stellar reputation, and so does UCLA honestly. Irvine, Davis, and Santa Barbara, and even Riverside and Santa Cruz, are relatively young campuses that have, through a combination of excellent state funding (until about ten years ago) and very focused leadership on those campuses, developed an incredible world of opportunity (and UCLA is less than 100 years old, too.) The Public Ivy campuses have also become quite competitive to be admitted into over the years, and Berkeley and UCLA even more so than they already were. UC San Francisco is exclusively health sciences, one of the premier academic medical research institutions in the world and one of the best hospitals on the West Coast.

And don't forget: We also have awesome private universities. Stanford, Caltech, and USC, three of the world's premier research and development institutions. The Claremont College consortium would be like combining Centre College in Kentucky and UNC-Asheville in some variation, multiplying their campuses by five, then making them even more competitive and very highly endowed; among this consortium are Harvey Mudd, Pomona, and Claremont Graduate. Santa Clara University has been referred to as the new "Georgetown of the West" and has strong MBA programs. Then don't forget University of San Diego, Pepperdine, and Loyola Marymount that immediately come to my mind.

Honestly, Southern states, standalone or collectively, can't hold a candle to California's stellar system of higher education. Yes, yes, EclecticEars knows: UT-Austin, Texas A&M, Emory, Georgia Tech, Duke, UNC, and Vanderbilt are great schools, too, but those are spread over several states. And honestly, Southern regional universities, the ones most accessible to the middle class, aren't really that academically strong (I know from personal experience). I also know that Oldham County (Kentucky), Williamson County (Tennessee), and Hoover/Vestavia Hills (Alabama) are supposed to have strong public K-12 school systems. However, to speak in generalities, I'd rather place my children, if I had any (God forbid that I do at this point in my life), in a public school system in Los Gatos in Silicon Valley than in your typical private school or private system, certainly no less a public system, in most places in the South.

Oh, and as for libraries? San Mateo, Los Gatos, Newport Beach, San Diego, and some neighborhoods in San Francisco, have truly spectacular facilities. Redwood City and San Carlos have more cozy facilities, but still reflective of care by the community. Kentucky's libraries were never quite as nice by virtue of being a lower income, lower tax state, and court rulings to come by Kentucky Appeals Courts could jeopardize the very existence of some of these libraries. Poor people have to learn, too, not just the middle and upper classes who already have MacBooks.

Finally: The catch here? I grew up in the Southeast and now live in California. By choice. I'll always love the Southeast, but valuing education was never one of the strong suits of Southern culture.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 12-31-2014 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Grammatical errors

Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unfortunately, it's predictable and common on this board for some reason.

So common that it's almost boring.
Not almost...it IS boring. Loved your previous post, BTW; a little wake-up call for those of you that think we're just being paranoid.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
My American Dream does not include the Southeast.
Then dream on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or