U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:05 PM

10,163 posts, read 6,491,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

People do NOT move to the South simply because housing is less expensive. That is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it. People move here for MANY reasons that include, but are not limited to:

Jobs
Lower cost of living overall
Lower taxes
Friendly people
Better winters
Lots of outdoor activities/recreation
Southern ambiance (slower pace of life, traditional values, rich cultural history, friendly people, great food, etc)

The South isn't a fit for everyone - but neither is any other region. And that's OK - we have lots of regions to choose from. If you don't appreciate what the South offers, please live elsewhere. We're fine with that!

Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:43 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Quote:

People do NOT move to the South simply because housing is less expensive. That is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it. People move here for MANY reasons that include, but are not limited to:

Jobs
Lower taxes
Friendly people
Better winters
Southern ambiance (slower pace of life, traditional values, rich cultural history, friendly people, great food, etc)

The South isn't a fit for everyone - but neither is any other region. And that's OK - we have lots of regions to choose from. If you don't appreciate what the South offers, please live elsewhere. We're fine with that!
I agree with what you said with the exception of outdoor recreation. If that's high on a person's relocation list they're gonna be pretty disappointed. There's some beautiful scenery, for sure, but the most common time for family recreation is during the summer. That's also the same time that the weather is typically at its worst for outdoor activity in the south.

For instance, tent camping in July in Texas east of the Llano would be suicidal. Can it be done? Sure, but between the bugs and overnight lows near 80 it would seriously suck.

Now there are places here and there where summer might be a little more tolerable (Knoxville & Asheville come to mind along with the coastal areas), but overall (to me) the south isn't super outdoorsy.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I agree with what you said with the exception of outdoor recreation. If that's high on a person's relocation list they're gonna be pretty disappointed. There's some beautiful scenery, for sure, but the most common time for family recreation is during the summer. That's also the same time that the weather is typically at its worst for outdoor activity in the south.

For instance, tent camping in July in Texas east of the Llano would be suicidal. Can it be done? Sure, but between the bugs and overnight lows near 80 it would seriously suck.

Now there are places here and there where summer might be a little more tolerable (Knoxville & Asheville come to mind along with the coastal areas), but overall (to me) the south isn't super outdoorsy.

Thank you for the good laugh this morning. "The south isn't super outdoorsy." WOW!!!
You apparently do not know much about the south. I live in the south and I can tell you that it is super outdoorsy.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:37 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Thank you for the good laugh this morning. "The south isn't super outdoorsy." WOW!!!
You apparently do not know much about the south. I live in the south and I can tell you that it is super outdoorsy.
Check the obesity stats and then get back to me. The south is one of the most sedentary and fattest regions in the country.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 12-27-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Check the obesity stats and then get back to me. The south is one of the most sedentary and fattest regions in the country.

Learn a little about the south and get back to me. A little research before one talks might be a good clue.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:19 PM

279 posts, read 364,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Statistically, there is much greater economic mobility in NJ than in the Sunbelt. You cannot argue with actual Census data cited in that NY Times.
In the Sunbelt, you don't HAVE to be as economically mobile. The middle-class is much more easily attainable and within reach in the first place.

Quote:
I am also always befuddled why people think that places with cheaper housing are a "better deal". I never get that. A "good deal" on housing is one with a good rate of return, as it's an investment. The best rates of return for housing are in California, NYC, Boston, and DC, basically the areas everyone is complaining is a "bad deal".

Do you want a 401k with a 10% annual rate of return or a 401k with a 6% annual rate of return? Does it really matter if the buy-in costs are somewhat higher for the 10% rate of return? Most would probably say no, as long as they're making more money in the end.

But you personally may prefer the Sunbelt, and that's fine. In general, it isn't the smart choice from a financial standpoint, though.

I don't personally prefer the Sunbelt, I have lived in both places and see the pros and cons of both. I love urban living actually, that's why I live in Jersey City. I'm just saying that unlike most city dwellers and urban enthusiasts, I get why people say forget it, I'm moving to North Carolina or Georgia or wherever.

The reason a house in the expensive metro areas is a "good deal" (a misnomer if I've ever heard one) is because in these places, home prices are FAR outpacing income. Great news for those who are already homeowners, bad news for those who are trying to break into the market. Great news for investors who are looking to buy property so that they can rent it out for profit, bad news for people who want to buy a home so they can actually live in it and raise kids in it. I don't see how you can ignore buy-in costs. I either have $100,000 for a down payment on a home or I don't. And if I don't, it may very well take me many more years to save up to get that money, by which time home prices will have skyrocketed even MORE.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,189,221 times
Quote:

Jobs
Lower taxes
Friendly people
Better winters

I lived in the South (Georgia) for 8 years and "better winters" and "Lots of outdoor activities/recreation" are subjective and questionable. Better winters? Maybe better winters than my home state of Minnesota or better winters than North Dakota. Better winters than coastal California? I spent Christmas at the beach in shorts and flip-flops this year.

Outdoor activities/recreation is better out here than the east in my opinion. Especially California which has a multitude of climates and geological variance. Within a few hours I can be in the desert, or the beach (actually I can be there in about 10 minutes), the Sierra Nevada mountains, etc. The outdoor activities in the west are endless. California alone has almost as many national parks as the entire east coast.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:24 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,276,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The South is, without question, the least desirable part of the U.S., not the most desirable. The most desirable parts of the U.S. are the Northeast Corridor and Coastal California.
Yeah and they are mostly filled with yuppies and hipsters that have been jacking up the cost of living in these areas making these areas unattractive for blue collar working class families. Gentrification is not something I would look at as progress in the United States and gentrification is common in the Northeast.

Quote:

Jobs
Lower taxes
Friendly people
Better winters
I really have to disagree with 2 parts the first being better winters since I prefer the cold. I know I'm in the minority with that view but I would take 30 degree days over 100+ degree days every single time. The second being lots of outdoor activities since I live in PA and there are a ton of outdoor/recreation activities in PA as well. That is not something the south has in overabundance compared to the north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The levels of hatred and bitterness displayed here by some towards a part of their own damn country is shameful, sickening and borderline treasonous in my opinion. And it clearly flows much more so from one direction than the other.
Your right it is pathetic.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:27 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,189,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Having lived in both the south for 8 years and now out California I can say without hesitation the people out here are much more outdoorsy than people in the south. People spend a lot of time outdoors out here. That is not to say that there aren't outdoorsy people in the south, there are. I'm a hiker so I met a lot of avid hikers, especially living about 1.5 hours from the southern terminus of the AT. However the majority of "outdoorsy" types I met in Georgia were hunters and fishermen.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Having lived in both the south for 8 years and now out California I can say without hesitation the people out here are much more outdoorsy than people in the south. People spend a lot of time outdoors out here. That is not to say that there aren't outdoorsy people in the south, there are. I'm a hiker so I met a lot of avid hikers, especially living about 1.5 hours from the southern terminus of the AT. However the majority of "outdoorsy" types I met in Georgia were hunters and fishermen.

We have an awful lot of outdoor activity around Charleston. Beaches and other water activities such as sailing, waterskiing, boat races, etc are very popular here. The beaches and rivers are overcrowded to the point it is hard to get to them most times. We have a shorter winter than other regions which makes outdoor activity even better and longer. Saying the south is not outdoorsy is totally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or