U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 06:00 PM

30 posts, read 26,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, it's amazing to me that you actually believe this.

So what? They are a TINY portion of the American population. Not only that - apparently you don't realize how many millionaires DO live in the South - in spite of being a very small portion of the US population.

YOU get real. Real is middle class. Real is small business owners. Real is blue collar workers. Those are all real people, with real jobs, real families, real property, real reasons to live all over the US, including the south, which is one of the fastest growing regions in the US.
Yes, they're a tiny portion of the American population but they're really the only ones who can truly live anywhere they would like - from a space ship, a penthouse in Manhattan, a McMansion in Georgia, oceanfront property in Southern California, an apartment in Charlotte. They're rich and don't have constraints like "real people" who move based on job availability and home affordability.

Where do they ALWAYS chose. The usuals - NYC, CA. For a very good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,252,221 times
Quote:
YOU get real. Real is middle class. Real is small business owners. Real is blue collar workers. Those are all real people, with real jobs, real families, real property, real reasons to live all over the US, including the south, which is one of the fastest growing regions in the US.
The South has the cheapest priced homes in the U.S. The median is lowest in the South. So all (apples to apples) real estate is cheaper in the south. Supply and demand.

"Regular people" least want to be in the South. If it were their preferred location, then the real estate costs would reflect this.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Wow, it's amazing to me that you actually believe this.

So what? They are a TINY portion of the American population. Not only that - apparently you don't realize how many millionaires DO live in the South - in spite of being a very small portion of the US population.

These people don't have geographic constraints like 99% of Americans and can live wherever their heart desires. And they pick the usuals. I don't blame them.

You're kidding yourself if you think there would be any migration to the Southeast, if all of those migrants were to suddenly strike it rich. Why wouldn't they? They don't have the scenery, architecture, culture, glamor, style, restaurants, nightlife, etc. etc. of the more famous locales. They would be living in NYC, LA, Hawaii, etc, like any other sane super rich person who has the choices to be wherever they want. Read the article, cost was the #1 reason each said they moved there. When money isn't a concern, things change dramatically. It's no surprise the most coveted real estate in the U.S. is in a very few places. Year after year, those lists are dominated by NYC and Southern Calif.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:17 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times
And the bitterness from 'the coasts' continues.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And the bitterness from 'the coasts' continues.
Why would the coasts be bitter when they're more desirable, healthier, wealthier and more educated than the South? I don't get it.

Obesity and diabetes.

Economic mobility

Poverty:

Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 PM

13,244 posts, read 17,779,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I agree with what you said with the exception of outdoor recreation. If that's high on a person's relocation list they're gonna be pretty disappointed. There's some beautiful scenery, for sure, but the most common time for family recreation is during the summer. That's also the same time that the weather is typically at its worst for outdoor activity in the south.

For instance, tent camping in July in Texas east of the Llano would be suicidal. Can it be done? Sure, but between the bugs and overnight lows near 80 it would seriously suck.

Now there are places here and there where summer might be a little more tolerable (Knoxville & Asheville come to mind along with the coastal areas), but overall (to me) the south isn't super outdoorsy.
Show me a place in the lows near 80 at night in Texas. I will show you a place in the highs near 70s yesterday in Texas.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:21 PM

13,244 posts, read 17,779,749 times
Somehow I survived the South - shooting, hunting, boating, gardening, ... without major damage to body or soul. BTW - home is a very cold place.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,491,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc p View Post
These people don't have geographic constraints like 99% of Americans and can live wherever their heart desires. And they pick the usuals. I don't blame them.

You're kidding yourself if you think there would be any migration to the Southeast, if all of those migrants were to suddenly strike it rich. Why wouldn't they? They don't have the scenery, architecture, culture, glamor, style, restaurants, nightlife, etc. etc. of the more famous locales. They would be living in NYC, LA, Hawaii, etc, like any other sane super rich person who has the choices to be wherever they want. Read the article, cost was the #1 reason each said they moved there. When money isn't a concern, things change dramatically. It's no surprise the most coveted real estate in the U.S. is in a very few places. Year after year, those lists are dominated by NYC and Southern Calif.

Why don't you take your ignorant hate for a region (south) somewhere else. It is getting sickening. Your ilk has to put down others to make yourself feel better. The ignorance of some is unbelievable.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:31 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Why would the coasts be bitter when they're more desirable, healthier, wealthier and more educated than the South? I don't get it.

Obesity and diabetes.

Economic mobility

Poverty:
My, how impressive!

It doesn't really matter, though. People have been voting with their feet for decades now, and they continue to do so.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 PM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times
Quote:

Obesity and diabetes.

Economic mobility

Poverty:
I don't believe those charts. If you'll notice, the FL panhandle seems to do WAY better in every category than neighboring Alabama. Well I can tell you, I cross that state line every day and I don't notice a difference from one side to the other.

Look at the obesity chart, do you really think those Illinois counties rank THAT much better than neighboring Missouri and Indiana? You can clearly see the outline of the state. Same goes for Texas and Oklahoma, and Kansas and Colorado. I call BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or