U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:36 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,205,422 times

Advertisements

Well, let's define "united." Do you mean socially, or culturally, or politically, or economically? Or all of the above? Are all "white" people SUPPOSED to be "united" in all of these respects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
But, no, there is no "white community." The white population of the US is so drastically varied in culture by regional, political, philosophical, and social differences that there's just no way for it to be one single community. Rich white people in the south feel no kinship or community with poor urban white people feel no kinship or community for middle-class suburban Americans feel no kinship or community with rich urban Americans feel no kinship or community with poor rural Americans.
This. ^

Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 AM

8,385 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the white population as a whole, or even in general, is "resentful" of racial or ethnic minorities at all.

There are certainly plenty of people who are outright racist.
There are plenty of others who are pretty hardcore race apologists.
The majority of white people from gen-x on up, I think, were raised to believe that being "colorblind" was the best way to go, and that's the attitude that they subscribe to... it was also what was generally strived for over the last few decades, to treat everyone as equals. Now, they're being told that being told by the progressive side that "colorblind" is a bad thing because it doesn't go far enough, from the conservative side that it's a bad thing because the stereotypes are all true, and they don't know what they're actually "supposed" to think.

But, no, there is no "white community." The white population of the US is so drastically varied in culture by regional, political, philosophical, and social differences that there's just no way for it to be one single community. Rich white people in the south feel no kinship or community with poor urban white people feel no kinship or community for middle-class suburban Americans feel no kinship or community with rich urban Americans feel no kinship or community with poor rural Americans.
Yeppers. I don't feel a tad bit of kinship with those damyankees any more than with a Brazilian bongo player.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
I believe people are becoming less concerned with race than with simple consideration for others.

You live in my neighborhood and keep up your property. You have well behaved children that don't cause trouble. They don't play loud music until all hours of the night. And your dog doesn't bark 24/7. Welcome, glad to have you as my neighbor.

I could care less if you are a purple, Saturn-born, three-headed Klingon. I'm white and married to a Korean. We consider ourselves and our neighbors just "Americans".

Certainly all people don't think this way and some may never. To us, people are people.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:47 AM

12,427 posts, read 11,929,235 times
In the U.S. context, "whiteness" is defined more as an absence of being "of color" or having any identity very divergent from the U.S. norm. So no, generally speaking, white people within the U.S. take their whiteness for granted, and think of it as a given.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:15 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,479,522 times
I say this because in films you see dark haired dark eyed actors but in some parts of the U.S there are many blondes. Then I realize most of these actors come from the Northeast. I also noticed many differences between whites in the south , the west, the northeast, etc. Even White that are came from the same country ( Germany) are very different due to living in different parts of the country and their families arriving in different periods of time. Couple that with how their economic situation went and their changing believes, then they very different.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 PM

21,322 posts, read 21,895,576 times
yes, we are very united. except for cheeseheads, and prespeter...precpitar...pressbateri.......methodis ts

Old 12-26-2014, 02:40 PM

447 posts, read 580,305 times
Quote:
But, no, there is no "white community."
Bingo. There's nothing to unite with.

From my perspective regional differences are stronger than racial ones. I've got far more in common with my non-white friends from Texas than I do some other white guy from Vermont.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,469,138 times
Given the history of the United States I would say yes. It's largely due to the racial segregation and division of this country. In many other countries the poor underclass are much more likely to unite regardless of color. In contrast to the United States which has historically been a divide between the poor Whites and poor Blacks. Whites elites/upperclass have historically brainwashed lower class Whites by giving them the "illusion of inclusion". Lower class whites would think "I may be a poor White man but at least I'm not a poor Black man." Living in a racially segregated society gave most Whites the idea that they were united because they were better then the Blacks or other minority groups.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:31 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,469,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I believe people are becoming less concerned with race than with simple consideration for others.

You live in my neighborhood and keep up your property. You have well behaved children that don't cause trouble. They don't play loud music until all hours of the night. And your dog doesn't bark 24/7. Welcome, glad to have you as my neighbor.

I could care less if you are a purple, Saturn-born, three-headed Klingon. I'm white and married to a Korean. We consider ourselves and our neighbors just "Americans".

Certainly all people don't think this way and some may never. To us, people are people.
Most Whites have always been united when it comes to where they choose to live. When a certain number of Blacks or other minority group moves into a neighborhood, whites will start to move out. They don't call it "White Flight" for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdExcFWps7c

Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,205,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Given the history of the United States I would say yes. It's largely due to the racial segregation and division of this country. In many other countries the poor underclass are much more likely to unite regardless of color. In contrast to the United States which has historically been a divide between the poor Whites and poor Blacks. Whites elites/upperclass have historically brainwashed lower class Whites by giving them the "illusion of inclusion". Lower class whites would think "I may be a poor White man but at least I'm not a poor Black man." Living in a racially segregated society gave most Whites the idea that they were united because they were better then the Blacks or other minority groups.

And that "illusion of inclusion" is as strong today as it ever was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or