U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:16 PM

626 posts, read 576,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yeppers. I don't feel a tad bit of kinship with those damyankees any more than with a Brazilian bongo player.
United States of America - More like divided!

Old 12-26-2014, 07:39 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,957,932 times
When you're a majority group that hasn't been oppressed, there's no reason to develop a "ethnic or racial community". The reason it develops among minorities is because they feel they have to have each other and keep strong bonds from allowing oppression to break them mentally.

This is why a black or Latino or Asian community developed. Because they're minorities.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:05 PM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Bingo. There's nothing to unite with.

From my perspective regional differences are stronger than racial ones. I've got far more in common with my non-white friends from Texas than I do some other white guy from Vermont.
^ That's certainly a huge part of it.

I'm a white dude from a poor military family and grew up all over the US. We spent a lot of time in the Oregon high desert, or in urban Boston. I lived in LA's Rampart Division for a few years, I lived in Oakland for a few years... all told, I have more in common with a Chicano punk rocker from LA, a black artist from Boston, or an Asian-American car enthusiast from the Bay Area than I do with a white middle-class, devout Christian from Kansas, even though we look similar. The interests and shared experiences and goals are what makes that feeling of kinship and community, not your skin color. Not to me, at least.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,923 times
Why is it a question of white people seeing each other as united? The nation is deeply divided, and it's not so much a matter of white people, black people, brown people, etc... as much as it's a matter of class divisions.

America is divided into the haves vs the have-nots. White people are no more united or divided than any other race or ethnicity.

I wish the question put forth in this thread had been worded differently.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM

6,816 posts, read 6,957,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Why is it a question of white people seeing each other as united? The nation is deeply divided, and it's not so much a matter of white people, black people, brown people, etc... as much as it's a matter of class divisions.

America is divided into the haves vs the have-nots. White people are no more united or divided than any other race or ethnicity.

They are. Let's be honest. Whites aren't seen as one monolithic group as the other 3 major racial groups in the country. They might not be "divided" persay, but they are not really unified simply because there's no reason to be. What would whites be unifying against? There's no discrimination or systematic prejudice again them. Nobody isn't or can oppress them. They make up 65-70% of this country's population. There's no reason for them to unify against a 30% minority.

I'll say this. The Black Lower AND middle class share very common opinions that racism against blacks is still a problem these days and I think in those #BlackLivesMatter protests over the past 2-3 months, you will see lower and middle class black folks united.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,212,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

Exactly!

Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
They are. Let's be honest. Whites aren't seen as one monolithic group as the other 3 major racial groups in the country. They might not be "divided" persay, but they are not really unified simply because there's no reason to be. What would whites be unifying against? There's no discrimination or systematic prejudice again them. Nobody isn't or can oppress them. They make up 65-70% of this country's population. There's no reason for them to unify against a 30% minority.

I'll say this. The Black Lower AND middle class share very common opinions that racism against blacks is still a problem these days and I think in those #BlackLivesMatter protests over the past 2-3 months, you will see lower and middle class black folks united.
I'm not saying racism isn't still a problem. Obviously it is. What I'm talking about is the big picture... that the division that exists in our country is more a matter of class division than it is of racial division. People are struggling out there regardless of their skin color. Race plays a big part in this, for sure, but it's not the whole picture.

I can see where minorities might be slightly more united than whites because historically they have shared a common struggle that white people have never really had to struggle with, but there is still division even amongst minorities. The biggest source of division I see today is mostly of a political nature. Conservatives have gotten MUCH more conservative, and liberals have gotten much more liberal. In today's political climate, if you're a moderate leaning in either direction, be it right or left, you are an endangered species. This isn't exclusive to any one race or ethnicity.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:20 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,482,211 times
That's true there are definitely differences between Mexicans too. When I was young we used to have rivalries between 3rd 4th generation Mexican Americans and 1st Generation Mexican Americans. English speakers vs Bilingual speakers. This all happened in elementary school. We used to play soccer and American football. Kind of like the movie gangs of New York but way less extreme This all ended by the time we got to middle school and we all became friends. And it's true that minorities are more United. In our case most Mexican Americans live in the southwest so we were raised in the same region. Unless you are a Texan Cowboy or a California n surfer we are pretty much the same. One thing though is that there is less racism between Mexican Americans than Mexicans in Mexico. I think that since we see each other as one group, we don't seperated each other between Amerindian Mexicans and Mexicans of Spanish descent.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,199,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
When you're a majority group that hasn't been oppressed, there's no reason to develop a "ethnic or racial community". The reason it develops among minorities is because they feel they have to have each other and keep strong bonds from allowing oppression to break them mentally.

This is why a black or Latino or Asian community developed. Because they're minorities.
I don't know about you, but from my experiences where I have lived, there isn't much of an asian community. Even when i was growing up & going to school the black students would only hang out with other black students, the hispanic students would only hang out with other hispanic students, but the Asian students always intermixed with the white students. I would say first generation Asians tend to stick together more than second or third generation Asians

Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 PM

55,679 posts, read 74,680,484 times
united??? no way-- how do you think they got away with burning to death jessica chambers of panola ms????
we are divided big time. lots of us think when we are murdered in our beds burned alive mugged raped, polar bear hunted, that we had it coming. we are a very sick people wallowing in guilt for stuff we never did, that is why boko haram of america gets away with this stuff. boko haram of america is just the opposite-- no matter how horrid, its not their fault-- not ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or