U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 AM

127 posts, read 157,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Perhaps consider Reno, Nevada or Albuquerque, New Mexico
I rather stay out of Nevada, but that is just me. I actually don't know much about New Mexico. I heard that they have high elevation and it's mostly a desert. I also don't know anything about the employment or how safe it is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
I have looked at Florida, but the hurricane issue is what bothers me a lot. Also the high cost of living. It is true that there is only one San Diego, but I was hoping to find a place that was similar weather wise. I really just want to live in a place that doesn't snow, doesn't get to hot like in the 100's, no nature disasters, and that is affordable. Unfortunately Hawaii is crazy expensive as well. At the moment, I've been looking at Georgia, North and South Carolina, Delaware, and Oregon, but I still don't know a lot about the states or areas. I have heard that Georgia, North and South Carolina are pretty nice places. I also really like Oregon, but I'm not sure since I heard it rains there a lot.
Which hurricane issues are you referring to? The Tampa Bay area would be a great option for you and hasn't had a hurricane affect the area with any relevance for 90+ years....Florida in general hasn't been affected since 2004-2005. Furthermore the cost of living is at or below the national average in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:42 AM

404 posts, read 738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
I would prefer to stay in the U.S., but Santa Fe is nice. I haven't heard of anywhere in Texas that isn't humid. I tried searching for areas that are not, but I didn't find any. I know all the major cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, ect) are all very humid and unbearable in the summer. So let me know what cities are not humid in Texas, if you know of any. I do think Texas is a wonderful place to live and I would love to live there if it wasn't the humidly.
Were you responding to someone else? Because Santa Fe is in the US. I suppose the areas without humidity are probably to warm for you in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Santa Fe doesn't fit your requirements of lows of 50-60 in the Winter (we'll be in the teens every night for the next few weeks, with highs maxing in the low 40s). You'll have to go much further south for that, like Las Cruces or El Paso. Even then, it's not going to be as balmy as you'd like in January.

You might want to take another look at Florida, focusing on the coastal areas where the breezes relieve the humidity a bit. But then you'll have hurricane issues, and coastal costs of living are high no matter where the coast.

With the weather restrictions you've placed on the search, you're pretty much looking for another San Diego, and there's only one San Diego. Hawaii?
I figured we were talking about highs of 50-60s, which Santa Fe is close, but lows is pretty much impossible to find in the US without insane summer heat or humidity. Hawaii weather fits, but if the goal is low COL then Hawaii is silly.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 AM

207 posts, read 270,632 times
Obvious choice is austin..

Warmer winters and warmer winters.. Only thing is it may get too hot for you? We came from Chicago and love it- summers don't bother us at all but everyone has a different tolerance so that could be an issue.

Other than that id say maybe Arizona somewhere?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:56 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
No offense, but what you're looking for is unrealistic these days. SoCal and Hawaii are just too expensive, unfortunately. The PNW cities of Portland and Seattle will depress you with their 9 months of rain and cool weather. The North will be too cold and snowy for you. You'll either have to put up with dry heat like Phoenix and get the milder winters in return, or choose somewhere else affordable with more "weather".

One place I'd recommend in New Orleans. Affordable, lots to do, mild winters (though a few winter days will get downright cold, but that's not the norm). The summers are rainy and hot, thus humid, but I think people exaggerate how unpleasant they are. I moved to New Orleans for college during the summer last year; only 2-3 days were truly unpleasant.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM

368 posts, read 398,469 times
Previous posters are correct in that if you want milder winters, you must either pony up the money to live in coastal California, put up with extreme dry desert heat, or deal with the humidity of the south.

That being said, one place you could look at is Tucson. It offers cooler summers than Phoenix, while still offering mild winters. I truly disliked living in Phoenix, due to the summers. I prefer a wetter climate, with more rain, humidity, and greenery.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,511,505 times
From what you said, I'd assume that Sacramento is probably going to be your best bet. Relatively cheap, relatively mild weather. It's a beautiful city with big trees, fun bars, and great restaurants. You'd be an hour from the coast and an hour from the mountains. Plus, you'll have San Francisco and Napa Valley practically in your backyard.

My second choice for you would be Salt Lake City, which offers hot but dry summers. Winters see a bit of snow, but they're clear, sunny, and crisp. SLC offers great outdoor activities, a relatively low COL, a thriving economy, and solid cultural amenities as well. The downside is that SLC is a little isolated. You're six hours from Vegas and eight hours from Denver. There's nothing closer.

Other people have suggested cities in New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada. But I don't think those places have the amenities that you've become accustomed to in San Diego and the Netherlands.

Others have mentioned Austin too. And again, I'm not sure if it would work for you. Austin gets extremely hot and humid in the summer, plus it's getting expensive too. I'd bite the bullet, live modestly, and find a way to work with San Diego's high COL rather than move to Austin.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-28-2014 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times
How about Asheville? Summers are humid but fairly short and not ridiculous. Winters are chilly but not terrible and usually mild during the waking hours. It is getting more expensive but I would think it would seem cheap compared to San Diego.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:59 AM

1,567 posts, read 823,415 times
Oklahoma? Weather wise, it's very California-like for 3 seasons... in the winter, there's mild snowing, and temps can dip to the low 20s. Tulsa and Oklahoma City border colleges, so you might be able to find things to do within your age group.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:07 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
Oklahoma and Salt Lake City are both quite cold in winter, and OK is also baking in the summer--not what the OP wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or