Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:18 PM

129 posts, read 231,037 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm 22 years old and my husband is 23. I lived in San Diego most of my life and I absolutely loved living there. The weather is near perfect year round, no snow, hardly any rain, hardly any humidity, friendly people, and so many fun things to do. San Diego for me was absolute heaven and I felt like there could never be a bad day. The only bad thing about San Diego besides the yearly fire outbreak is the horrible traffic and high cost of living. Last year I moved to the Netherlands with my husband. There is always something fun to do here and I love the culture here. It is very over crowded though. My husband works in IT and he does have a good job here. I really do love the Netherlands and have enjoyed living here, but I feel like it isn't right for me. It is a beautiful place, but the weather here is absolutely horrible. I feel depressed most of the time since the weather is so bad, it's always raining, a lot of hard wind, hardly any sunny days, high humidity on sunny days, and I've also got low Vitamin D from the lack of sun. I might be having a hard time adjusting here since I lived in California all of my life, but I would really love to move back to the U.S. with my husband and find a state/city that is hopefully similar to San Diego.

The high cost of California is what makes it not possible for me to live there anymore. It is especially difficult to go to California without a job lined up and a large amount of savings. I would love to move somewhere that is not over crowded, not to congested with traffic, where religion doesn't matter, good employment rates, no natural disasters, safe, preferably no snow and not too much rain, not a high amount of humidity, affordable, fun things to do, and nice weather. I've been to Arizona, but I didn't enjoy it at all due to the incredible high heat. The dry heat is to much for me. I have also been to Texas and Florida. They are both very beautiful states, but horrible with humidity and that really is a deal breaker for me since it is unbearable. I couldn't even go outside without being drenched with sweat the second I stepped out the house. I would like to live somewhere not to hot, not too cold, and not high humidly. For the temperature, I would prefer it to be no colder than 50-60 degrees and not warmer than 85-90 degrees. It might sound silly that weather is such an important factor for me, but it really does make a huge difference to me, especially since I would love to live some place I would be the happiest and best I can be. So please let me know your suggestions and opinions. Let me know if a place like this or something similar exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:47 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Hmmm, you don't care for the dry heat or humidity and California is out because the COL is too high. I would say check out the Northeast or the Pacific Northwest, however, the COL is high there as well. Maybe the midwest?

Old 12-27-2014, 10:21 PM

404 posts, read 904,312 times
Maybe Santa Fe, NM. Also not all of texas is humid.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
OP, you do know all of California isn't expensive?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
I would prefer to stay in the U.S., but Santa Fe is nice. I haven't heard of anywhere in Texas that isn't humid. I tried searching for areas that are not, but I didn't find any. I know all the major cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, ect) are all very humid and unbearable in the summer. So let me know what cities are not humid in Texas, if you know of any. I do think Texas is a wonderful place to live and I would love to live there if it wasn't the humidly.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
OP, you do know all of California isn't expensive?
From my personal experience, all of California is pretty expensive for what you get, even the areas that are considered "cheaper." If you do go to a area that is cheaper, you will get unbearable weather and live in a area that is not safe with shady people. I know that Sacramento is a lot cheaper than most places in California, but it really isn't the best place to live. The weather in the summer is crazy hot (always above 100 degrees) and most areas in Sacramento are not a good place to live since they are bad areas. Everyone wants to live in places that are where there are a lot of things to do, that are safe, and with the best weather, so of course prices in those places are extremely high in price. But even bad areas are expensive and dangerous. I also have lived in Temecula which is a more affordable area even though it was still really expensive. But I didn't enjoy it much due to the weather being incredibly hot in the summer and there wasn't really anything in the area to do. They didn't have many stores or shops either. Basically if you want to live in California, you will need a high paying job which is difficult to get in the economy there. I'm sure there are little villages in California that are expensive, but people call "affordable" there. But then you will be in the middle of no where with nothing to do. But do please let me know if you know of a area in California that is affordable, safe, not unbearable weather, and not in the middle of no where. I do know a lot about California from living there almost all my life and from family that lived there almost all their life, but I know I don't know everything, so I would like to know if there is a area I don't know yet.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Santa Fe doesn't fit your requirements of lows of 50-60 in the Winter (we'll be in the teens every night for the next few weeks, with highs maxing in the low 40s). You'll have to go much further south for that, like Las Cruces or El Paso. Even then, it's not going to be as balmy as you'd like in January.

You might want to take another look at Florida, focusing on the coastal areas where the breezes relieve the humidity a bit. But then you'll have hurricane issues, and coastal costs of living are high no matter where the coast.

With the weather restrictions you've placed on the search, you're pretty much looking for another San Diego, and there's only one San Diego. Hawaii?

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 AM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Perhaps consider Reno, Nevada or Albuquerque, New Mexico

Old 12-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Santa Fe doesn't fit your requirements of lows of 50-60 in the Winter (we'll be in the teens every night for the next few weeks, with highs maxing in the low 40s). You'll have to go much further south for that, like Las Cruces or El Paso. Even then, it's not going to be as balmy as you'd like in January.

You might want to take another look at Florida, focusing on the coastal areas where the breezes relieve the humidity a bit. But then you'll have hurricane issues, and coastal costs of living are high no matter where the coast.

With the weather restrictions you've placed on the search, you're pretty much looking for another San Diego, and there's only one San Diego. Hawaii?
I have looked at Florida, but the hurricane issue is what bothers me a lot. Also the high cost of living. It is true that there is only one San Diego, but I was hoping to find a place that was similar weather wise. I really just want to live in a place that doesn't snow, doesn't get to hot like in the 100's, no nature disasters, and that is affordable. Unfortunately Hawaii is crazy expensive as well. At the moment, I've been looking at Georgia, North and South Carolina, Delaware, and Oregon, but I still don't know a lot about the states or areas. I have heard that Georgia, North and South Carolina are pretty nice places. I also really like Oregon, but I'm not sure since I heard it rains there a lot.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
I would prefer to stay in the U.S., but Santa Fe is nice. I haven't heard of anywhere in Texas that isn't humid. I tried searching for areas that are not, but I didn't find any. I know all the major cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, ect) are all very humid and unbearable in the summer. So let me know what cities are not humid in Texas, if you know of any. I do think Texas is a wonderful place to live and I would love to live there if it wasn't the humidly.
The only big cities in Texas with tolerable humidity are either a) hotter than Hades in the summer (Laredo, Midland-Odessa, San Angelo, El Paso) or b) dusty plains towns that have a mild-ish winter (Lubbock, Amarillo).

You're gonna have a really hard time finding another San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.