U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 PM

13,237 posts, read 24,424,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
In Indiana, it's Gary.

Gary is where liberalism is celebrated as an actual lifestyle rather than a philosophy. It's a virtual liberal Mecca.
It is not. It is a city drowning in poverty. It has nothing to do with politics or liberalism.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 PM

992 posts, read 939,280 times
For the east side of Missouri, probably all of Jefferson County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,701,523 times
For Arizona: Yuma
Although a lot of people from Phoenix metro think of Tucson as the "red headed step child".

Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,125,372 times
Minnesota - well we are just too nice dontcha know to bad mouth any thing really at least not publicly but privately, it's St Cloud.

Whoever said Duluth is nuts. If anything people in the TCs have a real fondness for Duluth.

Rochester is horribly boring but a nice city - I hear a lot of people say they couldn't live there cause after 7pm the town shuts down.

Finally, anyone on the MPLS side bags on the east side (STP) and visa versa.

But truthfully, its St Cliud.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
For Kentucky, it's Louisville. The rest of the state is deep red, impoverished, uneducated, and from the tip of the western border with Missouri to the tip of the eastern borders with WV and VA, everyone is a UK fan. University of Louisville fans are only in Louisville and the surrounding counties like Oldham and Shelby, but even in Louisville and its suburbs, UK fans are very common. The state dislikes Louisville for being too liberal and diverse and ungodly. It's too "big city" for all the country folk and they hate coming here, avoid it at all costs. But the history of the city itself is different from the rest of the state.

Either that, or the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati. They identify with everything Cincinnati basically. The sports teams, the German culture, etc.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Great question. Here in NC, I'd have to say Fayetteville. It's a shame, because our youngest son's is based in Ft. Bragg (which is in Fayetteville) with the 82nd Airborne and it's the largest military base in the nation. We're proud of that aspect. But Fayetteville itself just isn't looked at as a great place to live.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,697,368 times
In Washington State would probably have to go with Yakima, riddled by crime, whereas Tri-Cities, just 75 miles east is considered a crime-safe area. Tacoma has a bad crime reputation, but it is not as bad as the 80's.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I dunno. They both deserve it, IMO. Waco smells better than Beaumont though.

Texas is so vast, that different parts of the state have different "punching bags". Beaumont is generally reviled by the entire Eastern half of the state. Especially by Houstonians. Waco is more of a central and North Texas thing. In South TX they seem to hate Brownsville the most (with Laredo coming in at a close 2nd), and in West Texas it's Odessa.

Not sure about the panhandle. Amarillo, maybe?
Laredo, Laredo and Laredo. Give me Brownsville any day over Laredo. Brownsville is near the beach and the cashiers at major chains actually speak English to you. Laredo offers absolutely nothing.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,701,498 times
you haven't been to Beaumont and the surrounding hell holes. I would rather spend 24/7 failing at speaking Spanish than having to duck behind cars dodging bullets in Port Arthur or finding someone not on drugs in Silsbee.

Of Course this is an exaggeration.
For Arkansas I have heard nothing good about Pine Bluff and for Louisiana it might be Shreveport, Lake Charles or Monroe but not because of danger or poverty but because their supposed to be duller than the other cities (Lafayette, Baton Rouge and New Orleans) two of which are extremely dangerous when compared to the mentioned cities.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
I did the "red headed step child" for KY as Louisville. "Punching bag" is different though. I'd definitely have to go with Hazard for that. I mean, it's name alone tells you not to go there. It's everything you would think of with Eastern KY.

The "red headed step child" of CA is hard because there are so many different cultures that make up one giant state. As a city that doesn't fit in with the CA stereotypes, I'd have to say Bakersfield. It's basically Oklahoma, California. It could also be considered the punching bag of the state. It would be a tie between Bakersfield, Fresno, and Stockton probably. LA has its own though. For LA, it would be between Lancaster/Palmdale, San Bernardino, and Victorville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or