U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM

6,981 posts, read 14,108,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
I was going to say exactly that.

I always hear Terre Haute getting talked about somewhat negatively, I don't think it's serious but I do hear it. I never actually spent time in T.H. but I have friends from there that don't seem to mind it.

Anderson and Muncie get bashed quite a bit and it's unfortunate because it's based on the two towns decline after the factories left town and left the cities pretty poor. I don't think Muncie is that bad and I've spent quite a bit of time there, granted it was on or near the Ball State campus.

Gary, Hammond, and East Chicago probably get the brunt of the negativity for the same reasons Anderson and Muncie get it, but on a much larger scale. It isn't just the areas being poor, they also get it for being rated as dangerous because of crime rates.
What about Austin? We hear a lot about that city in Louisville. It's a bit infamous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:21 PM

9,852 posts, read 21,153,148 times
Scott County specifically the town of Austin is the punching bag for Southern Indiana, perhaps the whole state. It is a cesspool of drug addition, recently 190 of the town's 4,000 residents contracted HIV by using dirty Heroin needles.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:35 PM

2,990 posts, read 2,148,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
This is misguided. Gary is mostly African American - it's no secret they usually lean democrat.
Why is it misguided? Do you think black people can't be as liberal as white people?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That hardly means Gary is a "liberal mecca;" it's not Boston or SF.
I don't know. I'd venture to guess Gary residents vote for the more liberal candidate at a higher rate than Boston, New York and San Francisco. I don't understand why you think that Boston and New York are liberal, but Gary isnt?

Old 04-12-2016, 04:28 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't know. I'd venture to guess Gary residents vote for the more liberal candidate at a higher rate than Boston, New York and San Francisco. I don't understand why you think that Boston and New York are liberal, but Gary isnt?
Gary is liberal in the same way East St. Louis and Detroit are liberal.

You're implying some sort of cause and effect, like Gary's liberalism caused its plight, when the primary reason Gary suffers is due to a lack of job base. Gary was a company town, and when U.S. Steel laid off tons of workers, those who could leave did (white flight, see IN suburbs immediately to the south of Gary), and those who couldn't, did not. Gary was essentially solely reliant on the steel industry for its economy, and nothing ever came back to take its place. Thus, what you see today, widespread poverty, and complete blocks where homes once stood are now filled with 10 foot high weeds.

What exactly does any conservative candidate have to offer the people of Gary?

Old 04-12-2016, 05:07 PM

29,945 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you think voting patterns alone determine how liberal or conservative a place is or why you even think that the way Gary votes is somehow connected to its reputation. This is just pretty ridiculous reasoning on your part.

Oh and in 2012, Obama got 65% of the vote in Lake County, IN. In Suffolk County, MA (Boston), Obama got 77% of the vote and in San Francisco, he got 83%.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-12-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 05:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 14,108,310 times
Quote:
You need a lesson in politics and rhetoric. Democrat=/=Liberal. Gary is Democratic. SF, NYC, Boston, LA, etc. are liberal. There's a difference. You're an adult. Go learn it.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 PM

34 posts, read 32,211 times
Vegas.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You need a lesson in politics and rhetoric. Democrat=/=Liberal. Gary is Democratic. SF, NYC, Boston, LA, etc. are liberal. There's a difference. You're an adult. Go learn it.
Ok, I'll bite. What's the difference? How is Gary Democrat but not liberal? The way I see it, Gary is liberalism in action. Gary may not be too accepting of gay people, like those towns you mentioned are, but other than that, I'd venture to guess Gary is up and down in line with San Francisco, Boston, NY, LA, etc on most issues.

I'd also venture to guess most people in Gary are pro choice, they are in favor of legalization of marijuana, tighter gun control laws, increases in public assistance for people in need, lighter jail sentences for non violent criminals, health care for everybody, rehab for drug offenders rather than jail time, in favor of bringing jobs back from China and Mexico to the United States. Those are all liberal causes. There's lots more but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

I just don't understand why people think that the majority citizens of Gary can not be a liberal or have liberal beliefs on most issues .

Sorry, I'm not getting your alls reasoning.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,197,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minnesota - well we are just too nice dontcha know to bad mouth any thing really at least not publicly but privately, it's St Cloud.

Whoever said Duluth is nuts. If anything people in the TCs have a real fondness for Duluth.

Rochester is horribly boring but a nice city - I hear a lot of people say they couldn't live there cause after 7pm the town shuts down.

Finally, anyone on the MPLS side bags on the east side (STP) and visa versa.

But truthfully, its St Cliud.
St. Cloud? I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about St. Cloud. It's doing well economically, it's a college town, a healthcare hub for the central part of the state, and up until recently it's been growing like a weed.

Yes, it's true that Duluth is generally well-loved statewide, but it's a rustbelt city (very much an anomaly in Minnesota) that's been steadily shrinking in population since 1970. The west end of town has issues with crime and decay. The abandoned port and industrial areas you see descending the hill on I-35 are depressing. All that being said, the tourism industry in Duluth is white hot. It's almost impossible to get a hotel room within a 30-mile radius in the summer. Everything that's not West Duluth is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or