U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times

Advertisements

In the different states I've lived in (and at different times), this is pretty much how it's gone:

Washington: Yakima, Tri-Cities
Arizona: Yuma, Kingman
California: Stockton, Bakersfield
Texas: Beaumont, Brownsville, Waco, Odessa
Connecticut: Hartford

I lived in Nevada as well, but NV didn't really seem to have a "punching bag" city. Just the entire interior of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 04:34 PM

6,304 posts, read 4,669,445 times
In Illinois it has to be East St.Louis.
Hell, the whole country uses it for a punching bag.
Quit beating a dead horse.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:52 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,186,459 times
In Georgia it was definitely South Georgia. Here in California I would say Stockton or Fresno.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:08 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
In Minnesota, it's probably Duluth due to its economic troubles even though it's a big tourist draw.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:05 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,508,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
In the different states I've lived in (and at different times), this is pretty much how it's gone:

Connecticut has some really nice places but a few really messed up cities. Hartford is definitely a punching bag for the state but I would add two more incredibly bad places: Bridgeport and perhaps the worst of all, Waterbury!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:19 PM

2,576 posts, read 2,591,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Connecticut has some really nice places but a few really messed up cities. Hartford is definitely a punching bag for the state but I would add two more incredibly bad places: Bridgeport and perhaps the worst of all, Waterbury!
I don't think Waterbury is that bad. It has a bad reputation but not as bad as Bridgeport and Hartford.

I would say Hartford, Bridgeport are the worst.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Quote:
I don't know about Waterbury. Didn't seem all that bad to me. Not great, but nowhere near as bad as Hartford or Bridgeport. Bridgeport is pretty much just as equally run-down and depressing as Hartford, but it's kind of spared the same amount of ridicule by it's close proximity to NYC and it's coastal location.

If it weren't for the presence of Yale, then you could probably add New Haven to the same "run-down/burnt-out" category as Hartford and Bridgeport.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 PM

4,172 posts, read 4,151,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
In Illinois it has to be East St.Louis.
Hell, the whole country uses it for a punching bag.
Quit beating a dead horse.
ha, even the Simpsons had that one line by the fat comic book store guy that goes, "take that East St Louis"

Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 708,816 times
Quote:
Here in Iowa, I could name hundreds of small towns but as far as major cities go, I would say Sioux City.

It is an absolute craphole and it is right at the Nebraska-Iowa border. South Sioux City, NE is the sister city on the other side of the river
I haven't been to Sioux City to compare, but for Iowa, Waterloo has to be a contender.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 AM

2,769 posts, read 2,492,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

I lived in Nevada as well, but NV didn't really seem to have a "punching bag" city. Just the entire interior of the state.
I never really hear of people bashing the Tri-Cities, especially compared to a lot of other places in the state. The worst I hear is people hating the heat and the wind and sometimes people will talk negatively about the high gang and illegal immigrant population in Pasco, but that's pretty much it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or