U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Alabama: Monthomery
Alaska: Fairbanks
Arizona: Tuscon
Arkansas: Jonesboro
California: Bakersfield
Colorado: Pueblo
Connecticut: Bridgeport
Delaware: Seaford
Florida: Jacksonville
Georgia: Columbus
Hawaii: Hilo
Idaho: Twin Falls
Illinois: Peoria
Indiana: Evansville
Iowa: Sioux City
Kansas: Wichita
Kentucky: Paducah
Louisiana: Shreveport
Maine: Caribou
Maryland: Cambridge
Massachusetts: New Bedford
Michigan: Saginaw
Minnesota: St. Cloud
Mississippi: Greenville
Missouri: Sikeston
Montana: Miles City
Nebraska: Valentine
Nevada: Elko
New Hampshire: Keene
New Jersey: Millville
New Mexico: Las Cruces
New York: Binghamton
North Carolina: Rocky Mount
North Dakota: Bismarck
Ohio: Youngstown
Oklahoma: Enid
Oregon: Medford
Pennsylvania: Johnstown
Rhode Island: Burrillville
South Carolina: Florence
South Dakota: Pierre
Tennessee: Kingsport/Johnson City
Texas: Longview
Utah: Logan
Vermont: Montpelier
Virginia: Danville
Washington: Spokane
West Virginia: Beckley
Wisconsin: Eau Claire
Wyoming: Sheridan
This list gets major points for ambitiousness but loses most of them for accuracy. Notable major errors from my perspective: Rhode Island (it's Central Falls, Woonsocket, Pawtucket or maybe Johnston); Vermont (maybe Barre?); New York (not that Binghamton is beloved, but it's definitely not the punching bag -- Newburgh, perhaps?); Illinois (in that part of the state, Springfield is hated way more than Peoria, but for the real answer, try Cairo); New Mexico (don't know the answer, but Las Cruces is pretty well liked, even though I didn't love it); New Hampshire (also not sure, but not Keene).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 09:08 AM

24,962 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
This list gets major points for ambitiousness but loses most of them for accuracy.......
That's an understatement. Johnstown, PA? Spokane, WA? Throwing darts at a map.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM

7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
I don't think SC has one for any significant number of people but Mrytle Beach would be the closet thing due to all the tourists and it not being all that attractive with all the Wings surf shops on every corner and so on. A lot of residents don't go there.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,059 times
In Colorado, Commerce City and Greeley could be runners up.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:52 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,589,642 times
No to gingerphobia.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:34 AM

1,544 posts, read 661,859 times
I'd have to say Vernon, California. This city constantly gets ragged on for high levels of pollution. Hardly any residences, mostly rundown and grimy factories.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,520,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I'd have to say Vernon, California. This city constantly gets ragged on for high levels of pollution. Hardly any residences, mostly rundown and grimy factories.
I don't think that city is big enough to have an impact. 112 residents.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:09 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I don't think that city is big enough to have an impact. 112 residents.
I don't think this thread is long enough to hold all of the punching bags in LA County.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I guess Durham isn't disliked around the whole state....but it is definitely the punching bag of the Triangle region..it' gets it from both sides; Raleigh/Cary to the east and Chapel Hill to the west...with the first being much more critical than the latter.
That's a joke, right? If it gets more punches, it's probably only because Raleigh is so much larger than Chapel Hill. In the Triangle, I think that Cary gets more than its fair share of punches (from me included).

Remember, it was actually me (from Raleigh) that first suggested to remove Durham from the list and replace it with Rocky Mount.

Adding to the list are my takes on Florida.

Hialeah is a pretty good punching bag in South Florida. Orlando gets trashed by South Florida as well. In other parts of Florida, Miami is hated on in a big way. As for Jacksonville and The Panhandle, I just don't consider them at all. I suppose that that's my ultimate punch?

Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 PM

1,445 posts, read 860,904 times
In Georgia, the red-headed stepchild, punching bag most certainly has to be Augusta. It is such a joke throughout the state that it is universally disparaged as Disgusta. coming in a close second and third would be Albany and Macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or