U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:21 PM

29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
No. It's not obvious lol. Please explain.
I'm guessing you don't know much about Gary. It's a poster child for urban decline and decay along with places like Youngstown, Flint, Camden, etc. Being that you live in a neighboring state, I would have thought you'd know about Gary.

Hard times in 'Magic City': Haunting images capture blight in Gary, Indiana, as the Rust Belt town is struggling to rise from the ashes one baby step at a time | Daily Mail Online
Tragic portrait of a city in decline: The desolate ruins of Gary, Indiana reveal the decaying heart of America's once proud industrial centre | Daily Mail Online
The Decline of Gary, Indiana: City of the Century

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-25-2017 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 02:45 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,407,271 times
Quote:
No. It's not obvious lol. Please explain.
violence, high murder/crime rate, pollution, deinustrailization, poverty.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,115,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
violence, high murder/crime rate, pollution, deinustrailization, poverty.
I know plenty about Gary. But is it the only city like this in the state? While Gary may be a posterchild of urban poverty, Southern Indiana is a posterchild of rural/suburban white poverty. Me being in the neighboring state, I know plenty about the dark underside of Southern Indiana just across the river. Until moving to Louisville, I had absolutely no idea Southern Indiana is the way it is, so I'm not sure many people outside the area would understand it either.

Personally, I would think Southern Indiana fits in less. Indiana is Midwest and Rustbelt. Gary is Midwest and Rustbelt. Culturally, politically, economically, everything. Southern Indiana, however, would fit in just perfectly in any state in the Deep South. White poverty, Confederate flags galore, good-ole boy mentality, rural/small town activities are popular like they are in the South. I find Southern Indiana to be just as culturally "southern" as the typically blue collar/southern parts of the Louisville MSA. It's also more "southern" than many parts Louisville, many parts of Lexington, and most of Northern Kentucky.

That's just my $0.02. I'm no expert on Indiana, but to me, Gary and Indiana are both Midwest and Rustbelt. Southern Indiana is NOT Midwest nor Rustbelt. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Seriously. It's my opinion, but I'm open to discussing it because I'm curious about everyone's opinions on Southern Indiana.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:12 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,421,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
It is definitely Pueblo.

This whole thread screams PUEBLO.

Of all the red headed step child cities in any state Pueblo represents it best.

No other state can even compete.
Rutland, Vermont and Topeka, Kansas come pretty close.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,421,029 times
Not being from Ohio, I'll defer to the native-born.

But back in the day, my friends from Ohio always used Zanesville as the punchline.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:01 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,447,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Why such bad things for Waco? I haven't heard anything negative about Waco except for that wacko in Davidian Branch that cult. I would say maybe Beaumont,TX or El Paso maybe.
Waco is a pretty nice city if you go west of I-35. Beautiful neighborhoods, hills, and nice lake. Most people have never been off of I-35, which is mostly motels and fast food places.

The Branch Dividian thing didn't even happen in Waco. It was outside of Waco in some farmland. But the media tagged Waco.

Even Beaumont has a lot of nice areas, but overall is not an attractive city. El Paso is really interesting, being situated in a mountain valley. If you drive up the slopes, you'll be stunned by the scenery and neighborhoods. Travelers usually see the poorer parts near I-10, and many think that Juarez, Mexico, which is clearly visible from I-10, is part of El Paso. Overall, there's a lot of poverty in El Paso, and I think that's why it is often a punching bag, whether that's really fair or not.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:27 AM

165 posts, read 169,478 times
For Illiniois, it can be separated into regions of who is the offical "punching bag" depending on what part of the state you're in. For example punching for each area...
Chicago (city limits) - the south side.
Chicago Suburbs - the southern suburbs directly south of the city and NW Indiana to a lesser extent.
Northern IL (excluding Chicagoland) - Rockford
Central IL - Toss up between Danville and Decatur.
Southern IL ( St Louis metro) - East St. Louis.
Southern IL (Little Egypt) - Cairo.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 AM

29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
I know plenty about Gary. But is it the only city like this in the state? While Gary may be a posterchild of urban poverty, Southern Indiana is a posterchild of rural/suburban white poverty. Me being in the neighboring state, I know plenty about the dark underside of Southern Indiana just across the river. Until moving to Louisville, I had absolutely no idea Southern Indiana is the way it is, so I'm not sure many people outside the area would understand it either.

Personally, I would think Southern Indiana fits in less. Indiana is Midwest and Rustbelt. Gary is Midwest and Rustbelt. Culturally, politically, economically, everything. Southern Indiana, however, would fit in just perfectly in any state in the Deep South. White poverty, Confederate flags galore, good-ole boy mentality, rural/small town activities are popular like they are in the South. I find Southern Indiana to be just as culturally "southern" as the typically blue collar/southern parts of the Louisville MSA. It's also more "southern" than many parts Louisville, many parts of Lexington, and most of Northern Kentucky.

That's just my $0.02. I'm no expert on Indiana, but to me, Gary and Indiana are both Midwest and Rustbelt. Southern Indiana is NOT Midwest nor Rustbelt. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Seriously. It's my opinion, but I'm open to discussing it because I'm curious about everyone's opinions on Southern Indiana.
Although I've been to southern Indiana, I don't have very much experience with it at all and was only there once. But nevertheless, you're talking about a region within a state and not a particular city. Furthermore, there are plenty of economically repressed rural areas within the country, especially as more folks leave those areas and head to urban areas; as a matter of fact, almost every state has these areas. But not every state has post-industrial, severely hollowed out areas like Gary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or