U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 27 days ago)

9,838 posts, read 21,144,826 times

Advertisements

Is Cairo still large enough to be the whipping boy of Illinois? That place is Detroit meets Bodie the ghost town. Last check the population was down to 2,000. 100 years ago it was similar size to Lexington KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM

6,862 posts, read 6,194,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, that's why I had to guess (about the panhandle). I'm not familiar with Dumas at all. In fact, the panhandle is the least familiar and most remote part of Texas to me, and I'm originally from Texas. I've been to Lubbock and Amarillo, and between those two cities, Amarillo seemed like the one that would take the most punches. They're really the only two cities in that part of the state that the rest of the state is roundly familiar with.

As for Waco, it does seem like any other small city on the I-35 corridor, until you get off the highway and spend some time in the city itself. Some people like it. I didn't, and I knew/know plenty of others who shared my opinion. Some of them were actually from Waco. When I lived in both Austin and in Dallas, many, many people talked down on Waco.
As far as the panhandle of Texas there is a rivalry between Amarillo and Lubbock but neither are really punching bags. They both are like New York City to the people who live out there. Neither is really better than the other but if it weren't for Tech being in Lubbock I'd say Amarillo is better hands down.

The towns in the Panhandle that get ripped the most that I hear about are Pampa and Borger because of oil related nastiness. Dumas doesn't get it all that bad.

Around Lubbock, I really don't know. All of the towns around there are just sort of grimy cotton towns. All pretty much the same.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As far as the panhandle of Texas there is a rivalry between Amarillo and Lubbock but neither are really punching bags. They both are like New York City to the people who live out there. Neither is really better than the other but if it weren't for Tech being in Lubbock I'd say Amarillo is better hands down.

The towns in the Panhandle that get ripped the most that I hear about are Pampa and Borger because of oil related nastiness. Dumas doesn't get it all that bad.

Around Lubbock, I really don't know. All of the towns around there are just sort of grimy cotton towns. All pretty much the same.
Sorry, but the part in bold really gave me a good laugh. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Those two cities (Lubbock and Amarillo) basically seemed identical to me, though as you pointed out, the presence of a large university kind of gave Lubbock the slight edge. Also, Lubbock has a culture of music history (Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Natalie Maines, Jimmy Dale Gilmore) that outshines Amarillo.

Other than that, they may as well have been twin cities to me. They both felt very isolated and removed from the rest of Texas, though Texas Tech provides a more cohesive tether to the rest of the state for Lubbock.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:48 PM

545 posts, read 816,584 times
NEWARK NJ. although in 15 years it may become a hot spot, with all the new development going on...

Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
In Alabama? Montgomery. If the state government weren't there, it would have almost no reason to exist.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 PM

351 posts, read 550,825 times
Arkansas - Pine Bluff

Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 PM

5,205 posts, read 7,890,512 times
I'd say Yuma for Arizona. In fact, ADOT doesn't even put Yuma on most I-8 highway signs; east of Gila Bend, most directional and distance signs only include San Diego. Yet on I-17 and I-40 Flagstaff (a smaller city than Yuma) gets mentioned on almost all signage.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,934,744 times
NC - Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, Lumberton, Kinston, Goldsboro...pretty much all of eastern NC except the coast.

Whoever said Durham - LOL

Old 01-03-2015, 10:36 PM

3,757 posts, read 2,567,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
NC - Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, Lumberton, Kinston, Goldsboro...pretty much all of eastern NC except the coast.

Whoever said Durham - LOL
That was me.

I live in Durham. I also made a point of saying that I thought it was an unfair and undeserved reputation mostly by people from Cary and North Raleigh who want all of NC to be like the affluent suburbs in NY and NJ that they moved from

Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,934,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That was me.

I live in Durham. I also made a point of saying that I thought it was an unfair and undeserved reputation mostly by people from Cary and North Raleigh who want all of NC to be like the affluent suburbs in NY and NJ that they moved from
Whoops, didn't see that post. But yeah, you're absolutely right. It makes me laugh when people write off Durham based only on what they've heard. Bad part of Durham is pretty easily avoidable. I too live here. Wouldn't live anywhere else in the Triangle. Except maybe Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or