Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM

372 posts, read 450,104 times

Advertisements

Alexandria, LA
Shreveport, LA
and Monroe , LA maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:26 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
By the way, El Centro is definitely the punching bag of California. Worse than Modesto. Worse than Bakersfield.
From what I remember, El Centro is mainly just a punching bag for the San Diego area and extreme-Southern CA. No one in L.A. or anywhere North of there even gives El Centro a second's thought. The biggest "punching bag" I remember from L.A. was the Inland Empire. Specifically cities like Fontana and San Bernardino. Bakersfield got a lot of flak too. In Northern CA it was easily Stockton.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:31 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
In Ohio it's Youngstown. One of our potential candidates for governor couldn't even locate it on a map. I think we've basically relinquished it to Pennsylvania.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is most definitely Memphis, which is sometimes called "The Detroit of the South". Memphis cannot catch a break.
What's funny is that Tennesseans seem to hate Memphis far more than the rest of the country. It's my favorite city in the entire state.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:32 PM

275 posts, read 455,482 times
I'm inclined to agree with many fellow Ohioans on this board that are saying Youngstown as their choice...

...that said, the city has become so irrelevant many people in my neck of the woods don't even talk about it or reference it when making fun of a go-to generic area. Most Ohioans seem to reach out to Detroit when they need a quick hell hole, at least in my experience.

I'd almost say Portsmouth AKA "Snortsmouth" could be ours... the crime and has really ramped up there lately. It's a skidmark of a city.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
From what I remember, El Centro is mainly just a punching bag for the San Diego area and extreme-Southern CA. No one in L.A. or anywhere North of there even gives El Centro a second's thought. The biggest "punching bag" I remember from L.A. was the Inland Empire. Specifically cities like Fontana and San Bernardino. Bakersfield got a lot of flak too. In Northern CA it was easily Stockton.
This is true. Most states are too diverse to have one punching bag. Harkening to the Illinois discussion (East Saint Louis vs. Rockford vs. crappy Chicago suburbs), we should probably be looking at sub-regions rather than the state as a whole.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
I'm inclined to agree with many fellow Ohioans on this board that are saying Youngstown as their choice...

...that said, the city has become so irrelevant many people in my neck of the woods don't even talk about it or reference it when making fun of a go-to generic area. Most Ohioans seem to reach out to Detroit when they need a quick hell hole, at least in my experience.

I'd almost say Portsmouth AKA "Snortsmouth" could be ours... the crime and has really ramped up there lately. It's a skidmark of a city.
Or Toledo, it's like our own mini-Detroit. Dayton also seems to get a lot of hate. And any of the little appalachian towns along the Ohio-WV border could qualify as well, but they're so small, I wouldn't call most of them cities.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM

172 posts, read 292,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Fayetteville and Durham....but mostly Fayetteville.
Why Durham? I lived there between the ages of 3-7 before I left the state - admittedly I was young - but didn't get the sense that it was disliked around the state.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
I know we've done this before but I'll bite again.

Fayetteville is NC's "punching bag" and has been for quite some time. It is best home as the home of Fort Bragg, which may or may not sound like a bad thing depending on ones preference, but after that, there is really nothing of interest about the city. Geographically, it is boring and is generally the hottest place in the state with few rolling hills or ocean breeze to ease the heat. Every stretch of highway road seems to be the same thing; strip club, tattoo pallor, cheap buffet, etc. Economically, unless you have connections to someone at Fort Bragg, there are not a lot of job opportunities. Most young people who move away for college generally do not return, or do not want to return if they can help it. The few "Yuppies" that do live there generally take off for Raleigh or Charlotte or the beach on the weekends.

About 3 years ago, there was a poll somewhere that asked which city was the favorite among NC'ers. Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Asheville, Fayetteville, and I think High Point. Fayetteville came in last, dead last, by a large margin.

IMO, Kinston and Rocky Mount are a lot worse than Fayetteville, but because Fayetteville is more well known (and has a larger population despite the Fort Bragg annexation), it "wins" the Punching bag award.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
Why Durham? I lived there between the ages of 3-7 before I left the state - admittedly I was young - but didn't get the sense that it was disliked around the state.
I guess Durham isn't disliked around the whole state....but it is definitely the punching bag of the Triangle region..it' gets it from both sides; Raleigh/Cary to the east and Chapel Hill to the west...with the first being much more critical than the latter.

I agree with others that Fayetteville is the punching-bag city....but really all of Eastern NC except for the coast is pretty much the part of NC that most other NCians from the rest of the state either pay no mind to or wish didn't exist....with Rocky Mount and Kinston being the focal points of depravity for the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.