U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,394,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
I can't say I would want to live around "rednecks" or "hillbillies" but I also don't see how people can get bent out of shape when someone starts a thread about wanting to live in primarily white areas but are okay with these types of threads.

To answer the question..

Maybe

Utah
Minnesota
Maryland

And possibly some northeast states.
Well, about half the population of Minnesota is in the Twin Cities, but the rest are spread out sparsely in a very large area and generally are split between farmers and up northers, both of which carry a large % of rednecks...farmers, because you know, farmers...up north folks are snowmobiling, drinking, huntin, fishin, ATVn, and so on.

I have no problem with either, personally, but there's a very large woods/outdoors culture in the Upper Midwest...

Old 12-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would define redneck (or hick) as someone who lives a country lifestyle and isn't interested or concerned with sophistication, appearance, wealth, and may enjoy things such as pickup trucks, farming, fishing, country music, guns, county/town fairs and the like. Educational attainment is generally a high school diploma, at best. And they typically live their entire lives within the same town or county and rarely travel. Political views typically lean to the right or far right. Religious beliefs are adhered to. Healthy lifestyle isn't so important, and they tend to like fast food, soda/pop, BBQ and other forms of "soul" food. These people rarely commit crimes, are family oriented, work hard (blue collar) and are patriotic about America.

Based on my travels (42 states), the most redneck areas I have ever seen were West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, nonmetropolitan North Carolina, the Shenandoah Valley, western Massachusetts, rural Connecticut and the Florida panhandle. Obviously, rednecks/hicks are everywhere.
Yes to the underlined, not necessarily true as to the rest. Sorry, but I have been around plenty of intelligent, educated, and comfortably well off rednecks. It's a lifestyle they choose or have grown up with. Not to be confused with white trash. Being redneck doesn't have to mean being trash, and trash isn't always redneck. Most of the rednecks I know enjoy the country/outdoorsy lifestyle, are somewhat rowdy, and don't give a flying fig what other people think of them.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:56 PM

515 posts, read 484,446 times
I'm confused on how you would calculate this.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM

412 posts, read 403,878 times
I can't think of a state that wouldn't have rednecks, much less one with the least. I guess it would have to be one that is more urban and small.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:26 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,485,363 times
I think it is very funny that some try hard as hell to claim their state has the least "rednecks." Why are you getting so defensive?? Accept the fact that "rednecks" are in every state. Who really gives a damn? Does it effect you in any way? If not, forget about it.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:28 PM

550 posts, read 569,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What I call a "redneck" is someone who is intolerant/bigoted, not open to ANY change, have no interests outside of hunting, guns, and football, and feel like they must drive a jacked up pickup or else they look "gay". It's these types I don't like to be around.
This precisely how I would define redneck, as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:30 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Oh yay. Another one of these threads.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,485,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Oh yay. Another one of these threads.

Exactly!! Who gives a damn???

Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 PM

899 posts, read 764,676 times
I've never really thought that rednecks were as people here are describing. That sounds like "trash" to me.

In coastal Virginia. where I grew up, the rednecks all had good jobs, VERY clean homes and cars, traveled, always looked tidy with freshly cut hair and they sent their kids to college. They would hunt and fish and would dress deer in their tidy yards. They weren't really interested in fashion but were culturally knowledgeable. They were a bit homophobic and always seemed to come back home to settle down. They knew cities (New York, London) but didn't care for them. They were religious but fortunately I was out of there before this crazy new style of religious expression swept the country. I'm not sure how rabid the Christians are down there these days but I'd hazard to guess the "rednecks" still haven't taken it too far (in addition to homophobic they are probably anti Muslim though).

In the same area we had the sloppy, dirty, racist, anti-intellectual types. They have only gotten worse overtime. I'd call them trash (really I try not to lable groups of people though).

Honestly the country "rednecks" in Virginia are much more friendly and open than their suburban counterparts.
I'll take friendly country people over boring, fashion-less suburbanites.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:08 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I've never really thought that rednecks were as people here are describing. That sounds like "trash" to me.

In coastal Virginia. where I grew up, the rednecks all had good jobs, VERY clean homes and cars, traveled, always looked tidy with freshly cut hair and they sent their kids to college. They would hunt and fish and would dress deer in their tidy yards. They weren't really interested in fashion but were culturally knowledgeable. They were a bit homophobic and always seemed to come back home to settle down. They knew cities (New York, London) but didn't care for them. They were religious but fortunately I was out of there before this crazy new style of religious expression swept the country. I'm not sure how rabid the Christians are down there these days but I'd hazard to guess the "rednecks" still haven't taken it too far (in addition to homophobic they are probably anti Muslim though).

In the same area we had the sloppy, dirty, racist, anti-intellectual types. They have only gotten worse overtime. I'd call them trash (really I try not to lable groups of people though).

Honestly the country "rednecks" in Virginia are much more friendly and open than their suburban counterparts.
I'll take friendly country people over boring, fashion-less suburbanites.
TBH that is not at all my idea of a redneck but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or