U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
550 posts, read 571,119 times
Reputation: 611

Advertisements

I'm guessing Hawaii would be one... Name some others.

 
Old 12-28-2014, 07:58 PM
chh
 
Location: West Michigan
418 posts, read 495,930 times
Reputation: 354
Vermont? Rhode Island?
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Sale Creek, TN
3,969 posts, read 3,636,772 times
Reputation: 4252
They're still there, just a different name for them.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:21 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,495,020 times
Reputation: 8024
Wait!!! Let me grab the popcorn.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
13,358 posts, read 7,029,060 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Vermont? Rhode Island?
Rhode Island is a good guess. Definitely not Vermont.

Also, definitely not New Jersey. I want to get that out there before anyone suggests it could be New Jersey because I can certainly see that happening. But they would be totally wrong. Plenty of good country folks here in South Jersey and we're proud of it. Also, Northwest NJ is similar.

Last edited by snj90; 12-28-2014 at 08:48 PM..
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Reputation: 17590
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Rhode Island is a good guess. Definitely not Vermont.

Also, definitely not New Jersey. I want to get that out there before anyone tries suggests it could be New Jersey because I can certainly see that happening. But they would be totally wrong. Plenty of good country folks here in South Jersey and we're proud of it. Also, Northwest NJ is similar.
But that's a small part of the population. The majority of New Jerseyans live in North Jersey, especially near NYC. NJ still has far fewer "rednecks" than most other states.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
13,358 posts, read 7,029,060 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But that's a small part of the population. The majority of New Jerseyans live in North Jersey, especially near NYC. NJ still has far fewer "rednecks" than most other states.
It depends on what you'd call "small." I certainly wouldn't call it that. It's not just small pockets of country folks here and there. Obviously, urban areas are more populated and thus contribute to a larger share of the total population. That's true both in NJ and elsewhere. It doesn't invalidate my point. NJ doesn't have the largest number, but it certainly doesn't have the smallest.

Another important consideration must be made for whether this is supposed to be on a per capita basis or just on the basis of sheer numbers. Even though this thread poses the question in terms of numbers, I would think it'd make more sense to consider this on a per capita basis. But whichever way it is, I'd strongly dispute the idea that NJ comes close to having the fewest.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 09:11 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Reputation: 17590
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It depends on what you'd call "small." I certainly wouldn't call it that. It's not just small pockets of country folks here and there. Obviously, urban areas are more populated and thus contribute to a larger share of the total population. That's true both in NJ and elsewhere. It doesn't invalidate my point. NJ doesn't have the largest number, but it certainly doesn't have the smallest.

Another important consideration must be made for whether this is supposed to be on a per capita basis or just on the basis of sheer numbers. Even though this thread poses the question in terms of numbers, I would think it'd make more sense to consider this on a per capita basis. But whichever way it is, I'd strongly dispute the idea that NJ comes close to having the fewest.
I have to disagree. I believe New Jersey is top 5 here, at least top 10. Other contenders that potentially beat us are Hawaii, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, maybe Connecticut... not even sure what else. NJ is literally the most urban state in the country. Every county is designated as part of a major city metro region - at MSA or CSA levels. It is also the densest state. Sure, there are rural areas but the populations there are nothing compared to the populations in the urban areas of the state. It's hard to find rednecks in such an urban state with a much smaller population in the rural areas. The most populated counties by far are the most urban, least rural and therefore least redneck counties in the state. I mean I'm in Union County which is the second smallest county in the state at 105 square miles and has over 500,000 people living in it. It has about 30,000 fewer people than the whole state of Wyoming in one small county. My county isn't redneck in the slightest, it's far too dense for that. This is the story (too urban and wealthy) for most counties surrounding NYC, at least, which is where the majority of NJ's population lives. I imagine Philly metro counties are the same.

I agree there are definitely these types here (they probably exist everywhere, even in Hawaii) but IMO we are pretty high on the list of least redneck states.

I believe a lot of this is also about perception. You think Hawaii and you're like, wow with the image in my head (Palm trees, sun, sand, ocean, resorts, etc) it's definitely not redneck. But Hawaii does have pretty remote, rural areas and smaller towns, with not a lot to do believe it or not. I know someone from Waimea, Hawaii and she'll be the first to tell you her area is nothing special (in her opinion as someone who grew up there). Maybe not redneck in that area in particular, but also not the stereotypical view of Hawaii. Same with Connecticut - viewed as a wealthy state. There is a large income gap and it gets pretty rural in some areas. Even Massachusetts. In reality, you will find rednecks everywhere and it's a matter or perception when you pick a "least redneck" place IMO.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Reputation: 2858
Depends on the definition of redneck. There are a ton of city rednecks here.
 
Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,296 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I have to disagree. I believe New Jersey is top 5 here, at least top 10. Other contenders that potentially beat us are Hawaii, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, maybe Connecticut... not even sure what else. NJ is literally the most urban state in the country. Every county is designated as part of a major city metro region - at MSA or CSA levels. It is also the densest state. Sure, there are rural areas but the populations there are nothing compared to the populations in the urban areas of the state. It's hard to find rednecks in such an urban state with a much smaller population in the rural areas. The most populated counties by far are the most urban, least rural and therefore least redneck counties in the state. I mean I'm in Union County which is the second smallest county in the state at 105 square miles and has over 500,000 people living in it. It has about 30,000 fewer people than the whole state of Wyoming in one small county. My county isn't redneck in the slightest, it's far too dense for that. This is the story (too urban and wealthy) for most counties surrounding NYC, at least, which is where the majority of NJ's population lives. I imagine Philly metro counties are the same.

I agree there are definitely these types here (they probably exist everywhere, even in Hawaii) but IMO we are pretty high on the list of least redneck states.

I believe a lot of this is also about perception. You think Hawaii and you're like, wow with the image in my head (Palm trees, sun, sand, ocean, resorts, etc) it's definitely not redneck. But Hawaii does have pretty remote, rural areas and smaller towns, with not a lot to do believe it or not. I know someone from Waimea, Hawaii and she'll be the first to tell you her area is nothing special (in her opinion as someone who grew up there). Maybe not redneck in that area in particular, but also not the stereotypical view of Hawaii. Same with Connecticut - viewed as a wealthy state. There is a large income gap and it gets pretty rural in some areas. Even Massachusetts. In reality, you will find rednecks everywhere and it's a matter or perception when you pick a "least redneck" place IMO.
'Rednecks' are defined differently by region. You happen to have tons of them, they're just known as 'guidos' up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top