U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 AM

207 posts, read 270,525 times

Advertisements

From Chicago but moved to austin and miss the good.. Especially portillos!!

Praying to god one day portillos opens up out here considering they did in Arizona and Cali

Anyone else move away from where they are from and miss a certain food place? If so where to where and what place do you miss?

I'll add

Palermos
White Castle
Pops
Anthony's pizza
Freddie's

Etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 08:35 AM

596 posts, read 675,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post

Praying to god one day portillos opens up out here considering they did in Arizona and Cali

Anyone else move away from where they are from and miss a certain food place? If so where to where and what place do you miss?

I'll add

Palermos
White Castle
Pops
Anthony's pizza
Freddie's

Etc etc
This Freddy's? Freddys Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

If so, there are locations in Pflugerville and Round Rock.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 AM

We've had that Freddie's (cedar park) and while not bad it's a different place.

Fabulous Freddies Italian Eatery

The Freddie's in Chicago is a stand alone location and they serve Italian food- and their Italian ice is insane we drive 35 minutes into town to get it.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
I hope Portillos doesnt go to TX. I was mad when they ventured into CA and AZ. But, with that being said, Im glad I have one just a few miles away from me in Scottsdale. I just think Portillos becomes kinda "generic" (for lack of better term) when they venture outside of Chicago, but thats just me.

A few places I dearly miss from Chicago are Lou Malnatis, Genos East, and Oberweis.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,565,833 times
Quote:

I'll add

Palermos
White Castle
Pops
Anthony's pizza
Freddie's

Etc etc
You might want to check out Lucky's Chicago Style Grill in Round Rock. It's right off I 35 & Hesters Crossing.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 AM

368 posts, read 398,119 times
I don't see Portillo's coming to Texas for a long time, if ever. They expanded to Phoenix because it has probably one of the highest concentrations of Chicagoans outside of the midwest. That includes both full time residents as well as snowbirds. There is even an ongoing joke that Phoenix is a satellite suburb of Chicago.

Freddie's is in Texas now, as is Culver's.

I know what you mean about missing chains from home. When I moved from Houston to Phoenix, I missed Shipley Do-Nuts. We didn't have Dunkin, growing up, and it was not a substitution for Shipley. Also, there was no place to get kolaches. I also missed having easy access to BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Cajun foods.

On the other hand, sometimes it feels weird to eat in a chain outside of its native region. In Houston/Texas, we love Pappadeaux. There is a Pappadeaux in Phoenix, but it felt kind of out of place. I always had to worry about how fresh the fish was, being in a desert far away from the gulf. Similarly, I think it would feel strange eating In N Out Burger if they expanded out east or up north. Part of their appeal is the west coast feel. Normally they are surrounded by palm trees, which are a recurring theme for that restaurant.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Well Freddie's that I am missing is not the Freddie's that was mentioned earlier.

Portillos has locations in California as well which doesn't have a high concentration of Chicago transplants. So you never know.

But it's not just the quality of food I miss it's also some of the types of that are just not found here.
Portillos Italian beef sandwich and cheese fries for instance. Can't mess either of those up really regardless of where they are made as long as they are made the same way with the same ingredients.

I've tried lucky dogs but was not impressed at all. There's a place called chi-town off 620 in lake way which is better in my view. Not very good but
Worth a trip once every few months to satisfy the Italian beef craving.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:04 PM

368 posts, read 398,119 times
Quote:
Portillos has locations in California as well which doesn't have a high concentration of Chicago transplants. So you never know.
Perhaps if they are planning a large-scale expansion. If they do decide to start expanding to other markets, I would guess that they would start with the cities/areas that have the largest influence from Chicago. States like Arizona, Florida, and Colorado, seem to be more popular destinations for displaced Chicagoans. When I lived in Arizona, I had never heard of Portillos until it opened in Scottsdale. I did enjoy it though. The lines/crowds there were humungous .

Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 PM

Yeah you're probably right but I'm still holding onto that hope haha. They are actually going under an ownership change (owner is selling it) I believe.. So maybe the new ownership will be more open to expansion.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:44 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Why do you miss Palermos? It has less flavor than national whipping boys like Tombstone and Jack's. I thought it was everywhere in Milwaukee simply because we're all instructed to "buy local," but apparently people in other states like it?

I'm not a White Castle fan, but I can see why that would be on the list, as it's a fairly unique spot in relation to the competition; Palermos is Jack's with less flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.