U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,500,006 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving back to Connecticut and will be leaving on a Saturday (March 27th) to make my way back. I don't plan on completing the trip in one go because the last time I did that was a terrible experience.

So I'm hoping to get some ideas on where and what states to stop in to relax or see something neat. I want to stay on track as best as I can and plan on making this a 2 or 3 day trip depending on the incentives to stop.

I'm moving from Clearwater, FL to Oxford, CT.

Beyond the above question, I'd like to know what time is best to leave on a Saturday morning (or Friday Night) to beat heavily congested areas / times? I plan on sticking with I-95 most of the way and POSSIBLY taking the alternate 81/84 route.

Any thoughts are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:32 PM

6,309 posts, read 6,960,359 times
Well, if you take the I-95 route then you shouldn't have any problems before Virginia. I-4 can get backed up through Orlando (I'm sure you know this) but a weekend should be fine.

After Virginia it can be rough all the way home, so just do your best to avoid rush hours since you might be getting there on weekdays.

As for places to stop, I am not the typical traveler so I don't feel confident making recommendations. Savannah and Richmond are nice places to check out that are basically directly on your route.

If you're moving just one carload of stuff, another alternative is the auto train. It would probably cost you around $400 (less if you don't need a bed) and only get you to the DC region, but it's comfortable enough, includes meals, and much of the trip occurs overnight. Some people really love not having to drive and saving the miles from their vehicle.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Holy crap lol, I love that Auto Train idea. It wouldn't be in our financial best interest but I would LOVE to do that some day!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 PM

6,309 posts, read 6,960,359 times
haha. Yeah, with two of you then a basic room + car would be around $650 I believe.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Anyone have any ideas for food stops on I-95?

Places I just have to stop at?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
For starters I would avoid I-4 at all costs because it does back up pretty much every day of the week through the Disney/attractions area. I-75 north from the Tampa area to Ocala, followed by US301 north to I-10 East, and around Jacksonville's west side on I-295 North to I-95 North is the best route. If you want some interesting stops I would recommend stopping in Savannah GA the first day and spend some time in the historic district for dinner/shopping and a stroll. Hotels at the I-95 exits are fairly close (about 5 miles) and much more affordable than those in the old town. The next day (the longest at around 9 hours) would put you in Alexandria VA just across the Potomac River from Washington DC. Once again fairly affordable hotels are available near I-95 and you're within 15 minutes or so of the historic district, Old Town Alexandria. It is nicely restored and has tons of restaurants/shops along with beautiful colonial architecture up and down it's cobbled brick streets. The following day's drive will have you in CT within 7-8 hours. In Savannah, check out Sisters for real deal Southern Soul Food and in Alexandria, check out Overwood which is in the heart of the historic area in a 200 year old colonial-era building cooking with wood ovens, love it!

Sisters of the New South
Theoverwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or