U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:40 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Delaware allowed slavery;that's why it is considered southern.
Black Americans in Delaware: An Overview

When I lived in Wilmington, DE, it did not seem at all southern.
Although all states allowed slavery at one point. I think the only "old" states that never had slaves are in New England. DE holding to that was likely for balance reasons at the time (there was an attempt to make free/slave states equal in number).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Although all states allowed slavery at one point. I think the only "old" states that never had slaves are in New England. DE holding to that was likely for balance reasons at the time (there was an attempt to make free/slave states equal in number).
DE had slaves through the Civil War. I don't think it was for "balance". It was for providing labor.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
DE had slaves through the Civil War. I don't think it was for "balance". It was for providing labor.
I'm pretty sure they tried to keep the number of slave and free states equal around that time. Prior to the war.

I mean that was literally something they did.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 PM

33 posts, read 16,885 times
People talk about Southern Delaware being the “south,” but I don’t think that’s accurate. *Rural* Delaware, like rural parts of PA, MD, NJ, and many other states, have elements of southern culture. But the coastal towns in DE do not feel southern. They are vacation spots for people in Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, and DC. Delaware is today a northern state, IMO.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Quote:
Delaware's two slave state senators were about balance. Slaves were about labor.

I wondered why Texas wasn't broken up into multiple states to gain more slave state senators. Probably not enough population to make it viable even up to the 1860s in the western and northern more rural parts.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 AM

13 posts, read 19,481 times

Heres what i would consider the south, i left out Texas because i kind of consider them their own thing (aka Texas is Texas), even though parts of East Texas ,and even Houston are similar to the south. Also, No Oklahoma is not part the south they may have a similar accent but no, just no, **This is just a "ROUGH" outline**

Old 02-22-2018, 04:12 AM

1,578 posts, read 982,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Western MD is not southern, but is definitely central/northern Appalachian..
GS, hi.. I agree Western Maryland is Appalachian. But (your opinion) how is Maryland's Appalachian culture different/excised from the Southern subculture of Southwest VA/Western NC etc (?)

Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 AM

1,578 posts, read 982,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhindscounty View Post

Heres what i would consider the south, .. **This is just a "ROUGH" outline**
Fair enough,.. I'm curious why you exclude Virginia's Eastern Shore from the South (?)
I've driven across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel a grip of times. And I submit even tho going from Virginia Beach to the Shore is a northbound drive, culturally it gets more Southern. Peace

Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhindscounty View Post

Heres what i would consider the south, i left out Texas because i kind of consider them their own thing (aka Texas is Texas), even though parts of East Texas ,and even Houston are similar to the south. Also, No Oklahoma is not part the south they may have a similar accent but no, just no, **This is just a "ROUGH" outline**
I disagree about Texas and Oklahoma (to me, they are at least half Dixie-southern), but generally the rest is nearly how I see it as well.

I personally would include a lot more of Kentucky as southern. If one had to draw a hard line, I have often touted taking Delaware's southern border and extending straight west until it hits the Ohio river.

I also do give credence Illinois' "Little Egypt" region claiming more kinship to the south. To be fair, Illinois dips waaaaay south, similar to how West Virginia goes as far north as NYC.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,351,181 times
Quote:
Yes, look at a map. The southernmost part of Delaware is the same latitude as parts of Virginia.
Parts of Illinois, Indiana and even Ohio are further south than the southern most part of Delaware! They arenít considered southern states by any means, but the southern fringes do have some southern culture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or