U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,413,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
People say this, but without explanation, and I'd be really interested in hearing why. What does Washington's orbit mean to you, and how does it effect Fredericksburg and points northward greater than, say, points south?
When I say a place is in another's orbit, that usually means at least one of the following, and more often all of these things:

--It is either considered part of a city's Census-defined metropolitan area or part of its consolidated statistical area; in either case, it's within the commutershed;

--it is primarily served by the broadcast TV stations of a given city;

--people there tend to root for that city's sports teams;

--if the place isn't in the commutershed, then its residents often turn to that nearby city for certain kinds of entertainment or leisure activities.

It seems to me that Fredericksburg marks the point where people start watching Richmond TV stations and stop watching those in Washington. IIRC, Fredericksburg also marks the southern end of the Virginia Railway Express commuter train line to/from Washington. The express toll lanes in I-95 now extend about two-thirds of the way there, and I saw The Washington Post at local drugstores more than I did the Richmond Times Dispatch the last time i was there.

Certainly, Washington's suburban sprawl now extends well beyond the Capital Beltway. It hasn't really overrun Fredericksburg yet, but it's headed that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:34 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When I say a place is in another's orbit, that usually means at least one of the following, and more often all of these things:

--It is either considered part of a city's Census-defined metropolitan area or part of its consolidated statistical area; in either case, it's within the commutershed;

--it is primarily served by the broadcast TV stations of a given city;

--people there tend to root for that city's sports teams;

--if the place isn't in the commutershed, then its residents often turn to that nearby city for certain kinds of entertainment or leisure activities.

It seems to me that Fredericksburg marks the point where people start watching Richmond TV stations and stop watching those in Washington. IIRC, Fredericksburg also marks the southern end of the Virginia Railway Express commuter train line to/from Washington. The express toll lanes in I-95 now extend about two-thirds of the way there, and I saw The Washington Post at local drugstores more than I did the Richmond Times Dispatch the last time i was there.

Certainly, Washington's suburban sprawl now extends well beyond the Capital Beltway. It hasn't really overrun Fredericksburg yet, but it's headed that way.
That doesn't explain why Fredericksburg is the invisible line of demarcation for North/South...

Washington sports fandom controls most of Virginia. Most of Virginia also turns to Washington for news and entertainment affairs...

Fredericksburg has a long, long history of connectivity with Richmond; that hasn't waned. Washington and Richmond have a long history of connectivity that strengthens yearly. There is no line that separates Fredericksburg, a city with its own story and that very much has a southern lineage, from Richmond, a more cosmopolitan city right down the road. Besides Alexandria, which obviously was originally part of Washington proper, there is nowhere in Northern Virginia or VA period that is as similar to DC, than Richmond...

I'm keeping my response brief because I'm sure those who have been around are nauseated with my conversations on this topic. Nobody who really knows Fredericksburg is gonna say the South ends there. Until the late-00s, roughly '07/'08, Fredericksburg was not even considered Northern Virginia. This is a very recent shift in popular opinion of even Virginians and should give some insight into the relationship between greater Washington and Central Virginia, amongst other things...

Old 02-25-2018, 12:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Interesting, but Washington, Virginia, Maryland...none of those are in the Midwest.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Interesting, but Washington, Virginia, Maryland...none of those are in the Midwest.
Yes, that occurred to me too, after I got wrapped up in that Delaware/MD business. I'm guilty as charged.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, that occurred to me too, after I got wrapped up in that Delaware/MD business. I'm guilty as charged.
I am, too.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:40 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Same.

Seems like that's where the real debate is though, as so many threads go into that subject.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,772,651 times
Maybe I-44 in Missouri?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or