Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
Actually, the fighting in Missouri was North vs South. Kansas City and Columbia ( look up origin of The Missouri "Tigers) were unionist strongholds. The confederates were mostly based in the south around Springfield and Nixa.
Actually, you should try reading a history book. The Kansas City area wasn't a "unionist stronghold." All of the surrounding counties around Kansas City were thoroughly Confederate. I'm from Cass County, Missouri (south of Kansas City). That county along with Bates County to the south probably has the most brutal Civil War history in the entire state. (The Civil War in Springfield and Nixa was a "minor inconvenience" in comparison.) Cass County was the stronghold and home base of William Clarke Quantrill and the Bushwhackers (one the greatest Confederate guerilla armies that Jefferson Davis had under the Parisian Ranger Act.) Many of Gen. Sterling Price's and Gen. Joe Shelby's top lieutenants were also from Cass County. Cass County and Bates County were such Confederate strongholds that the Union Army thoroughly destroyed these counties in between September and December 1863, using a scorched earth policy to uproot the Confederates. (See Gen. Ewing's Order No. 11.) Every house, barn, business, church, school, and public building were burned to the ground in these counties. More than 25 towns were wiped out and practically "nuked" by the Union Army. More than 20,000 Confederates became homeless war refugees. The unprincipled Union Army from Kansas City even committed genocide against the residents of Cass and Bates counties during their eviction. There are no other counties in Missouri that have a Civil War history like these counties. Some historians even rank Ewing's Order No. 11 as one of the greatest atrocities committed during the war. It's on the same scale as Sherman's burning of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
St. Louis isn't southern at all. In fact, it is quite remarkable how un-southern it is. The south starts 100 miles south of St. Louis or so. I would put the divide at State Highway 72.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM

638 posts, read 623,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Actually, you should try reading a history book. The Kansas City area wasn't a "unionist stronghold." All of the surrounding counties around Kansas City were thoroughly Confederate. I'm from Cass County, Missouri (south of Kansas City). That county along with Bates County to the south probably has the most brutal Civil War history in the entire state. (The Civil War in Springfield and Nixa was a "minor inconvenience" in comparison.) Cass County was the stronghold and home base of William Clarke Quantrill and the Bushwhackers (one the greatest Confederate guerilla armies that Jefferson Davis had under the Parisian Ranger Act.) Many of Gen. Sterling Price's and Gen. Joe Shelby's top lieutenants were also from Cass County. Cass County and Bates County were such Confederate strongholds that the Union Army thoroughly destroyed these counties in between September and December 1863, using a scorched earth policy to uproot the Confederates. (See Gen. Ewing's Order No. 11.) Every house, barn, business, church, school, and public building were burned to the ground in these counties. More than 25 towns were wiped out and practically "nuked" by the Union Army. More than 20,000 Confederates became homeless war refugees. The unprincipled Union Army from Kansas City even committed genocide against the residents of Cass and Bates counties during their eviction. There are no other counties in Missouri that have a Civil War history like these counties. Some historians even rank Ewing's Order No. 11 as one of the greatest atrocities committed during the war. It's on the same scale as Sherman's burning of Atlanta.

See there; Kansas City was a northern town. I believe Quantrills mother died in a union jail in Kansas City, which led to Quantrill burning Lawrence down in revenge.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Default Northeast/South/Midwest "triple point"

I sort of explained the Midwest/West/South "triple point" earlier in this thread, but I'm surprised nobody has acknoweledged this. Another thing that I'd like to come up with is the point where the three main regions east of the West converge. Officially by the Census Bureau, it's near East Liverpool, OH about 40 miles of west-northwest of Pittsburgh. While I don't disagree that the culture becomes Midwestern as you head west of there as opposed to Eastern, it is WAY too far north for the south to encroach upon. Wheeling is a better choice, but that's still above the Mason-Dixon line and north of Center City Philadelphia. If I had to pick a location, I'd say around Parkersburg, WV. It's just about at the same latitude as Baltimore, a little above Cincinnati and is just across the Ohio river, and is just a 2-hour drive to Columbus.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:47 PM

251 posts, read 282,947 times
Appalachia, especially Northern Appalachia in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, doesn't seem to me to fit well with any of those three regions. That being said, if I had to I would put most of this area with the South rather than the Northeast or Midwest. The Northeast/Midwest dividing line is definitely just a little West of Pittsburgh, but to me the Northeast/South dividing line is a pretty curvy line that puts Northern Virginia in the Northeast while taking most of West Virginia and parts of Central PA for the South

Old 08-04-2015, 01:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
Appalachia, especially Northern Appalachia in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, doesn't seem to me to fit well with any of those three regions. That being said, if I had to I would put most of this area with the South rather than the Northeast or Midwest. The Northeast/Midwest dividing line is definitely just a little West of Pittsburgh, but to me the Northeast/South dividing line is a pretty curvy line that puts Northern Virginia in the Northeast while taking most of West Virginia and parts of Central PA for the South
Central PA??? Interesting...I mean I've heard that whole "Alabama between Philly and Pittsburgh" line but ummm...yeah.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Pennsylvania is only southern in the eyes of folks from Maine.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
See there; Kansas City was a northern town. I believe Quantrills mother died in a union jail in Kansas City, which led to Quantrill burning Lawrence down in revenge.
Kansas City, Kansas was a destination for many freed slaves from the South and was a Union stronghold. Due to the Nebraska-Kansas Act many Freestaters and pro-Slavery people came to Kansas to try force Kansas to become either a slave or free state. South of Kansas City was a known Confederate stronghold where they attempted and failed to influence Kansas into becoming a slave state.

Today, I'd say nearly all of Kansas is in the midwest. The Ozarks and Springfield are the transition area. By the time one gets very far into Oklahoma or Arkansas it is Southern through and through.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Pennsylvania is only southern in the eyes of folks from Maine.
You would be surprised how hillbilly parts of PA, OH and WV are, you see confederate flags in those states as well even thou they are not Southern.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
Your curvy line is bogus. Allow me to count the ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
You would be surprised how hillbilly parts of PA, OH and WV are, you see confederate flags in those states as well even thou they are not Southern.
Big. ****ing. Deal.

I've seen more than one Confederate flag flying in California. These days you'll find that flag anywhere you have poor or working-class white people, regardless of which region of the country they live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.