Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast or North/Northeast?
East Coast 24 44.44%
North/Northeast 18 33.33%
Roughly equal for both 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What Southeastern states aren't coastal?
Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida Just like all NE states are East Coast even though PA and VT aren't technically right on the ocean.
TN is Southeastern but not coastal, and AL and MS are Southeastern and on the Gulf Coast, not the East Coast. Even for the South Atlantic states, I don't think it's accurate to say that everyone who lives in them is on the East Coast. Atlanta isn't an East Coast city, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its funny you mentioned that because I was reading a book recently that mentioned Pennsylvania being afraid that Spanish ships were going to raid the PA coast during the War of Jenkins Ear. Of course in reality, Pennsylvania was far more vulnerable to Indian attacks on the frontier.
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

At that time PA was almost entirely Philly and its environs. Philly sits on a tidal estuary far closer to the ocean than Baltimore or DC. And at that time, it was much easier to reach Philly by sea than Baltimore.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:34 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,333 times
Being from CT, I generally tell people that I'm from New England. I don't know of anyone in the Northeast that refers to themselves as being from the "North" (unless they've moved down South??). Yes, the East coast is technically from Maine to Florida, but I wonder how most of the rest of the country views that. Do people from the Southeast say that they're from the East coast, or just the South? IMO, the East coast is probably synonymous with the Northeast, but I don't really know for sure.

I didn't answer the poll, because I don't feel that "North" belongs in the same answer as Northeast. If I wasn't from New England, I'd probably use the term Northeast more often than East coast, but I tend to use all three terms depending on my mood .

Old 01-04-2015, 03:47 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
I consider where I live to be the East coast. Charleston, SC. I can walk out of my house and be at the edge of the Atlantic ocean in 5 minutes. That's east coast. The coast line does not stop in the northeast.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I consider where I live to be the East coast. Charleston, SC. I can walk out of my house and be at the edge of the Atlantic ocean in 5 minutes. That's east coast. The coast line does not stop in the northeast.
Of course Charleston is, but its geographic/regional identity is Southern/Deep Southern/Lowcountry. You don't hear Charlestonians describing their city as an East Coast city generally.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course Charleston is, but its geographic/regional identity is Southern/Deep Southern/Lowcountry. You don't hear Charlestonians describing their city as an East Coast city generally.
As others said, I don't think the term "east coast" is used by very many people in the Northeast or Southeast. Eastern seaboard, sure. Often the term "Northeast Corridor" or "BosWash" is used for the core urban area as well. But East Coast? Seldom to never, unless you're talking about hip hop in particular.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
East, east, east coast... as in not any other coast ;-)

Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Everyone in the Southeast isn't on the East Coast; that would only apply to select coastal locations.
I'm not talking about the gulf coast (the south coast, like some like to call it) or the inner southeast behind the coastal states.

lol duh.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:40 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As others said, I don't think the term "east coast" is used by very many people in the Northeast or Southeast. Eastern seaboard, sure. Often the term "Northeast Corridor" or "BosWash" is used for the core urban area as well. But East Coast? Seldom to never, unless you're talking about hip hop in particular.
I usually hear "East Coast" in the context of the weather. Its meaning in that context is ambiguous. Here's a storm system from November 2014.

Quote:
November 2, 2014, 6:00 PM|A coastal storm in the Northeast brought up to a foot of snow in Bangor, Maine, and plenty of powder elsewhere. According to the National Weather Service, it was the earliest snowfall in Columbia, South Carolina, beating a 100-year-old record by eight days. Jericka Duncan reports.
Early winter storm slams East Coast - Videos - CBS News

The New York Times doesn't make it any more clear. The article refers to the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, which could stretch as far South as Norfolk.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/ny...avel.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.