Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast or North/Northeast?
East Coast 24 44.44%
North/Northeast 18 33.33%
Roughly equal for both 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times

Advertisements

I know that when I lived in New Haven, CT, I heard "New England" more than anything, and as a secondary reference I heard "the Northeast". After that, it was "East Coast" (which, it actually is). I almost never heard anyone self-reference the area as "The North". I only heard that mainly from Southerners, and they also referred to the Midwest as "the North".

As for the whole "East Coast" debate, obviously the entire coastline from Maine to the Southern tip of Florida is the East Coast, but people get hung up on the big cities in the BosWash corridor and associate it with that particular part of the East Coast more often than they do the Southern part of the East Coast. Exactly like how people do with L.A. and SF as being the "West Coast", but distinguishing Seattle and Portland as being the "Pacific Northwest"... even though they are actually just as much part of the West Coast as any California city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Philadelphian here and I prefer the term Northeast

Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
I only heard that mainly from Southerners, and they also referred to the Midwest as "the North".
I can confirm this. Growing up in east Texas, "the North" describes anything north of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Mississippi River, plus MD, DE, and DC.

Northeast corresponds to the photo posted by nephi215 - New England + NY, NJ, and PA.

The East Coast obviously refers to every coastal state from Maine to Florida so it would be a bit of a misnomer to try to apply it solely to Northeastern states.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
The East Coast obviously refers to every coastal state from Maine to Florida so it would be a bit of a misnomer to try to apply it solely to Northeastern states.
But that's typically how it's used, similar to how Montana isn't considered "the North" although it's in the northern half of the country and Utah isn't considered "the South" although it's in the southern half of the country.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But that's typically how it's used, similar to how Montana isn't considered "the North" although it's in the northern half of the country and Utah isn't considered "the South" although it's in the southern half of the country.
It's never been typically how I've used it or anyone else in the area that I know. East Coasters IMO for the most part consider the whole coast, ME to FL, to be the East Coast... because that's what it is.

TBH I feel like it's people NOT from the East Coast who make the mistake of calling the Northeast the East Coast.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:13 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's never been typically how I've used it or anyone else in the area that I know. East Coasters IMO for the most part consider the whole coast, ME to FL, to be the East Coast... because that's what it is.

TBH I feel like it's people NOT from the East Coast who make the mistake of calling the Northeast the East Coast.

Everyone I know considers the east coast from Maine to Florida. That's what it is.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Nobody down here refers to Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, etc. as East Coast cities. They're referred to as Southern cities 99.9% of the time.

It seems that the term "eastern seaboard" is more often used to refer to coastal locales from Maine to Florida.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:

Bingo. When I actually lived on the East Coast, nobody thought of the Northeast as having exclusive rights to that distinction. That's why they mainly referred to their region as the "Northeast". Only those from West of the Mississippi River seem to equate "East Coast" solely with the BosWash corridor.

To me, someone from Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA is just as much from the "East Coast" as someone from Manhattan or someone from DC.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
I don't really like the wording in the North/Northeast. Northeast sure... North, you're probably reading about the Civil War in a history book.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
In New York we almost always say Northeast.

I think it is mostly a western thing to call the Northeast "the East Coast". The East Coast runs from Maine to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.