Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:02 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,457,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I can see richmond and tidewater being connected as one metro. As for nothern Virginia, that wouldn't make any sense considering nothern va is already apart of the dc area which includes Maryland. Also, northern va is already disconnected from the state in general.
That's true, so I guess a metro wouldn't stretch all the way from Richmond to Northern Virginia because there isn't a whole lot between those two. You do have Fredericksburg, a town that some are already calling the far southern edge of NOVA. However, barely anything between Fredericksburg and Richmond.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-31-2014 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 AM

734 posts, read 914,794 times
NoVA native. I remember when knowing someone who lived in Reston was like knowing someone who lived on Mars. lol.

Inner NoVA is pretty much built out. Most new construction means taking down old stuff, and not just old housing. There is a huge development in Potomac Yard straddling the Alexandria/Arlington border, for example; "yard" as in former train yard, and the prices are, quite frankly, staggering. Most people can't afford NoVA anymore, and most self-respecting Virginians wouldn't live in Maryland, so they move further south or southwest.

Fredericksburg is indeed now part of NoVA, frightening as that may seem. Once prices shoot up, people will push further south. I could totally see Richmond eventually becoming part of a mega DC metro one day, but not for a while. Hell, 20 years ago I knew people who commuted from Richmond to Fairfax. Seemed insane at the time. Build out more long distance commuter rails, which the state is happy to do, and people will push further out to escape NoVA's exorbitant prices; one of the many reasons I left home.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,022 posts, read 7,414,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's true, so I guess a metro wouldn't stretch all the way from Richmond to Northern Virginia because there isn't a whole lot between those two. You do have Fredericksburg, a town that some are already calling the far southern edge of NOVA. However, barely anything between Fredericksburg and Richmond.
The sprawl actually reaches just south of Fredericksburg, which is maybe 45 miles from Richmond, with the lanes expanding on 95 now just north of the city of Fredericksburg. It seems to me that there is no end to the envitable. Eventually connectivity will be much less interrupted between Richmond and Fredericksburg but that may be a couple decades away. Will it ever be one large metro? No, but the connection will become more seamless. If the northern stretches of Richmond pick up some steam it could happen sooner than later, but mark my word it will happen.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 AM

388 posts, read 980,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I can see richmond and tidewater being connected as one metro. As for nothern Virginia, that wouldn't make any sense considering nothern va is already apart of the dc area which includes Maryland. Also, northern va is already disconnected from the state in general.
I believe NOVA will connect to Richmond before Tidewater ever connects to Richmond. If you look at the growth patterns between the expanding NOVA region and Richmond, it is inevitable that the border areas will link in the next 20-40 years. The northern suburb of the Richmond region is Caroline county, which is only one county under Spotslyvania county (suburb of Fredricksburg). Additionally, Spotsyvania county and Fredricksburg are already considered part of the greater Washington DC/MD/VA metro area. As previously mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, growth is not occurring as rapidly in the New Kent county/James City county area, which would assist with linkage between Tidewater and Richmond. Furthermore, the core city of Tidewater is Norfolk, which is located 93 miles away from the city of Richmond. Moreover, interstate 64 between Tidewater and Richmond is only two lanes, which assist with discouraging working commutes between the two regions.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,097,817 times
Who makes up the growth in your population explosion? I thought only third world countries are experiencing this?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM

7,301 posts, read 12,216,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Moreover, interstate 64 between Tidewater and Richmond is only two lanes, which assist with discouraging working commutes between the two regions.
VDOT has proposed expanding I-64 from Newport News to Richmond to three lanes each way for years, however, it won't be for a very long time. The Hampton Roads crossing issue is the top priority, either by building a third crossing or adding a new four-lane eastbound bridge with two additional tubes to the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (with the existing eastbound bridge and tube being redirected for westbound traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.