U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times

Advertisements

North Carolina and Georgia are booming and growing at tremendous rates, no doubt about it. It seems like Virginia has kept up with those two in the past, but is lagging behind them at the moment. Do you believe Virginia will eventually catch up? Like I said, all three of them aren't too dissimilar regarding growth and population but Virginia seems to be lagging behind more and more as time goes by. People talk about one giant metro extending from Charlotte to the Research Triangle in NC that might exist in the future. Do you believe this will happen in Virginia, too? Possibly a giant metro extending from the Hampton Roads moving up through Richmond and ending in Northern Virginia? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 PM

10,164 posts, read 6,499,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
North Carolina and Georgia are booming and growing at tremendous rates, no doubt about it. It seems like Virginia has kept up with those two in the past, but is lagging behind them at the moment. Do you believe Virginia will eventually catch up? Like I said, all three of them aren't too dissimilar regarding growth and population but Virginia seems to be lagging behind more and more as time goes by. People talk about one giant metro extending from Charlotte to the Research Triangle in NC that might exist in the future. Do you believe this will happen in Virginia, too? Possibly a giant metro extending from the Hampton Roads moving up through Richmond and ending in Northern Virginia? Any thoughts?

The little state of South Carolina was also in the top ten in population growth from July 2013 to July 2014' It was actually ahead of Virginia putting it in 9th place and Virginia in 10th. You are always on about North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia, but you seem to overlook little SC that's growing by leaps and bounds also. Nearly two-thirds of the Palmetto State's 2013-14 population growth came from people moving to the state. That may not sound surprising to Charleston-area residents surrounded by ongoing development, but no other growing state saw more of its rising population come from net migration - the difference between people moving in and moving out.

Here we grow: South Carolina challenging Alabama for 23rd largest state - Post and Courier

Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Hilton Head were the fastest growing metros on the whole Atlantic coast.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,814,043 times
Virginia has higher cost of living than both of these states which plays a big part in this. I also doubt that will ever happen in Virginia with a big metro combining like that.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,219,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
South Carolina outgrew Virginia by raw numbers this last year...think SC will catch up before VA..at least growth wise. They won't catch up VA or GA/NC population. But the gap is closing

Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,424,696 times
I doubt that VA catches up, nor should it try to. It already outperforms GA and NC in a couple of respects without a similar rapid growth rate.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:08 PM

545 posts, read 817,531 times
Virginia will grow as long as DC grows. Only NOVA will grow mostly. I can't see richmond or virginia beach becoming more big time cities than what they are. but NOVA will be packed, like Northern New Jersey is now.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times
Isn't the Peninsula becoming more suburban or am I mistaken? The areas around Williamsburg and up towards Richmond?

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-30-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM

904 posts, read 768,396 times
What's the question exactly?

Newport News and Hampton seem more densly (maybe not densely, but built out) populated than the Southside (still TONS of land left to develop). The area between Richmond and Williamsburg is very sparsely populated though. If The expanded 460 ever gets built, south of the James will more likely be the side that connects Tidewater to Richmond. I just don't see New Kent and James City Counties urbanizing. I just feel like with I 64 and rail connecting the two metros that area would have already developed over the last 60 years.

There isn't anything happening in Richmond's eastern suburbs. Across the river in Chesterfield and down near Ft Lee, lots is going on though. Sabra, Rolls Royce, Amazon, some Chinese paper company (the name escapes me) have added thousands of jobs (with 2,000 expected with the paper company) along 295 in the last 5 years. Better routes to Tidewater from there may change South of the James pretty drastically (460 and 10 are already more developed than their counterparts , 60 and 5, north of the river)

Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,814,043 times
I can see richmond and tidewater being connected as one metro. As for nothern Virginia, that wouldn't make any sense considering nothern va is already apart of the dc area which includes Maryland. Also, northern va is already disconnected from the state in general.

Last edited by Deluusions; 12-30-2014 at 11:15 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 11:03 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Both GA and NC continue to put distance between them and Virginia and I don't see that changing any time in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or