U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you use winter tires?
Yes 20 30.30%
No 37 56.06%
We don't get snow here 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,527,165 times
Reputation: 5304

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I said guess because it was a guess. And until YOU can back up your contention from far away that a substantial % of people in the Upper Midwest use snow tires (they don't, though - guaranteed), we'll just have to go with first-hand accounts of the people who live in the snowiest regions of the country. Which doesn't include you. Unless you can produce stats. Which you either will not be able to find, or you will find, and quickly discard because you'll see we're right.

Even with more people on the road and nearly everyone using all-weather tires, Wisconsin totalled its lowest road deaths since WWII, which counters all the "hey man, if you guys up there want to drive daaaangerously, then do it" BS: Wisconsin has fewest road deaths since 1943

Western NY is not the only area of the country with substantial snowfall, though it seems to be the only snowy place B.Y. is familiar with
You made a claim that NO ONE in those regions purchased snow tires but backed it up without any facts.

I can prove that people in those snow regions do in fact purchase snow tires by the mere fact that tire shops in those regions stock snow tires. Tire shops don't stock inventory that NO ONE purchases. So if NO ONE purchased snow tires there would be no need for said tire shops to stock any snow tires.

Understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,054,646 times
Reputation: 3925
It is weird that so many people who don't live in the upper Midwest want to argue about this, as if they know more about what people do here than we do. Generally speaking people in this part of the country do not use snow tires. I have never heard anyone talk about how they had to get their tires changed because winter is coming. We don't do it to brag, or so we can imagine that we are bad asses, but because we don't really see the point of it. The sunk costs plus the hassle of having your tires changed plus having to find a place to store the second set don't seem to be worth it. People who live in warmer areas can't seem to wrap their heads around that fact.

If I lived in the mountains of the west I would definitely have snow tires because I don't want to drive off a cliff and die, but otherwise they seem like they are just a car guy type of thing. Normal people don't have them. I think a lot of people on the west coast think snow tires are a normal part of winter driving because most of their experience of driving in the snow is in the mountains where it is actually a good idea to have them.

Here is a reference point from the Minnesota forum:

Do you switch to snow tires for the Winter?

The poll is at 19 to 2 in favor of not changing tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM
 
12,657 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Reputation: 17562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It is weird that so many people who don't live in the upper Midwest want to argue about this, as if they know more about what people do here than we do. Generally speaking people in this part of the country do not use snow tires. I have never heard anyone talk about how they had to get their tires changed because winter is coming. We don't do it to brag, or so we can imagine that we are bad asses, but because we don't really see the point of it. The sunk costs plus the hassle of having your tires changed plus having to find a place to store the second set don't seem to be worth it. People who live in warmer areas can't seem to wrap their heads around that fact.

If I lived in the mountains of the west I would definitely have snow tires because I don't want to drive off a cliff and die, but otherwise they seem like they are just a car guy type of thing. Normal people don't have them. I think a lot of people on the west coast think snow tires are a normal part of winter driving because most of their experience of driving in the snow is in the mountains where it is actually a good idea to have them.

Here is a reference point from the Minnesota forum:

Do you switch to snow tires for the Winter?

The poll is at 19 to 2 in favor of not changing tires.
I agree, to me they seem much more necessary in the mountains. The risk of sliding off a cliff there is greater than in Minnesota and most other upper Midwestern states. It seems scary to me, but I guess people out there are used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 01:49 AM
 
34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm done "debating" this, as it's quite clear that the only people who switch out to snow tires are ones who are in foreign countries where it's mandated and people who have to deal with extreme rural alpine conditions. Oh, and if you have a "performance vehicle" with low profile tires.

No one I know, and no one from the snowiest regions of the country on this thread has stated that they swap out their tires for snow tires. I haven't seen a single person do it since the '70s, and I grew up in northern WI along Lake Michigan.
The implication being that because no one you know uses snow tires therefore no one uses snow tires..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 AM
 
34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Reputation: 29863
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate


No one I know, and no one from the snowiest regions of the country on this thread has stated that they swap out their tires for snow tires. I haven't seen a single person do it since the '70s, and I grew up in northern WI along Lake Michigan.
Wisconsin i presume is one of your example areas where no one uses winter/snow tires, if thats the case its odd that so many places are selling winter/snow tires.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...s+in+Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,527,165 times
Reputation: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wisconsin i presume is one of your example areas where no one uses winter/snow tires, if thats the case its odd that so many places are selling winter/snow tires.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...s+in+Wisconsin
SHHH, don't let facts get in the way of his opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Reputation: 33485
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
SHHH, don't let facts get in the way of his opinion
this coming from someone who advocates...

all public roads in snow areas to be heated....(including neighborhood roads) in major cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37864808-post1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,527,165 times
Reputation: 5304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this coming from someone who advocates...

all public roads in snow areas to be heated....(including neighborhood roads) in major cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37864808-post1.html
Yep, it was a CRAZY thought. I even stated so. I never said it was feasible, just a discussion.

Notice my first line was Call me crazy, just throwing things out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 02:57 PM
 
8,338 posts, read 9,798,041 times
Reputation: 10645
Winter tires; who needs 'em?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM
 
1,373 posts, read 821,406 times
Reputation: 2198
For those who agree winter tires are a good idea.....


Would you ever use studded winter tires? Seems like if you are going to switch tires anyhow why not use studded if they are legal vs regular snow tires?


Are there any links to tests between snow tires vs studded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top