U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use winter tires?
Yes 20 30.30%
No 37 56.06%
We don't get snow here 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,544,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Snow tires are a no brainer.

Anyone north of the 40 degree parallel on the Eastern half of the country (Indianapolis, Columbus, Philadelphia) should be using Snow tires.

No, they are not part-time tires. Your car can only use one set of tires at one time. Plus, it is cheaper to run smaller snow tires than your regular (your 17-19" tires can downsize to 15" or 16"). You also can squeeze more summers out of your all-seasons, due to not having to throw away your half worn all-seasons come fall.
Keep in mind some cars can't run smaller tires. Check caliper clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 06:45 PM

706 posts, read 515,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Also, in some newer cars, changing tire sizes can throw off the stability controls, even if all four are changed to the same smaller size.

I've never seen anyone use snow tires either, even here in the mountains, which doesn't suprise me. As high strung as ABQ drivers are, once a half-inch has fallen, everyone acts like they're driving on soap.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:49 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,300,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yea if their brakes are huge. Most run of the mill family / economy vehicles are perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Also, in some newer cars, changing tire sizes can throw off the stability controls, even if all four are changed to the same smaller size.
Not sure about this... My car has 18" stock and some people go down as far as 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I've never seen anyone use snow tires either, even here in the mountains, which doesn't suprise me. As high strung as ABQ drivers are, once a half-inch has fallen, everyone acts like they're driving on soap.
Idk how the climate is there, but most people below the 40th parallel won't need them. Philadelphia is usually the rain / snow line.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:19 PM

706 posts, read 515,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not sure about this... My car has 18" stock and some people go down as far as 15"
Its only with some (like late 2000s Korean cars). Most can compensate for this. The ECU also compensates, as it sees the car is going "faster" than it should be.

Quote:
Idk how the climate is there, but most people below the 40th parallel won't need them. Philadelphia is usually the rain / snow line.
It's a mile in the sky. It snowed here already, and the mountains here are already starting to hold their snow. But unless your going to make regular trips up past Santa Fe, I don't think they are necessary either.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:45 PM

7 posts, read 5,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Funny thread- especially those that simply pontificate from areas that have no snow, or locations where people apparently don't purchase them. Not to be rude- I understand reporting on where you live- but why theorize about places you're unfamiliar with? I can only speak to areas that I know about, but there are still plenty of people in the central to upper Rocky Mountain states (also AK) and lake effect areas in OH, PA, and NY that do switch out summer tires for winter tires on a seasonal basis. It's not coincidence that so many cars in those areas have blacked out rims for six months of the year. They're using snow tires.

While not necessary for many flat areas (CO Front Range, for example), those that frequently traverse the passes or live off the beaten path - drive secondary roads frequently, etc. - swear by them. They've made a huge difference on our cars, which were tasked with driving through mountains and over places like Vail Pass/Eisenhower Tunnel on a regular basis.

It's worth noting that places like CO sometimes institute mandatory chain/4x4 requirements in heavy snow. Oh, and due to potentially icy conditions, chains are mandatory on some mountain roads in OR and WA. Nobody is going to stop you to see if you're equipped, but if you slide off the road and need police assistance, you can receive a fine for not having them or blocking traffic.

Funny you mention this. Location can be a funny thing since close proximity can be worlds apart. On the Front Range in Colorado (Boulder, Denver, etc..) you actually need snow tires LESS than you do in the Midwest (Wisconsin, etc.) If you're not using your car to go up into the mountains, it would be quite a waste to get snow tires. Snow melts really quick In Denver/Boulder and temperatures can get into the 50s/60s/70s during the Winter which virtually pulverizes the ice and snow that might have fallen a couple days earlier leaving college students walking around with shorts and a t-shirt. You also get A LOT more sun than you do in the midwest. People might picture a brutal winter on the Front Range of Colorado but it's actually a pretty cushy lifestyle.

Now if you drive an hour West into the Mountains, you're basically in another world. If you're always driving Vail Pass I would definitely want snow tires.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:02 PM

5,916 posts, read 6,346,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
When I was a little kid in the 70s, my Dad and his friends would switch out the tires on the cars for winter
The reason for this is because in those days most tires were bias ply and not radials, bias ply tires were terrible in the snow, especially on rear wheel drive cars.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM

17,743 posts, read 4,112,835 times
No

Old 10-31-2016, 04:33 PM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
Virtually no one living in your average metro area up north changes out all-season to snow tires in the winter. In my 37 years of living in Iowa and then Chicago I don't know of a single person who's done so.

Maybe this is more a rural thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.