U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use winter tires?
Yes 20 30.30%
No 37 56.06%
We don't get snow here 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
My point was that drunk drivers often have the same mindframe: "I'm too good, too badass, too skilled, too superhuman for tragedy to ever befall me." If you're giving up 103 feet in braking distance, you're basically saying you have enough confidence in your driving ability where the disparity between AS and WS tire performance is non-material. But the difference is material. Anybody who says otherwise is a dolt.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 does NOT perform well in snow and icy conditions. That's the most praised and highly reviewed AS tire on the market right now. And the average driver is not going to splurge on PS3s, opting instead for a tire that's more economical. The lousiest winter tire still demolishes the best AS by leaps and bounds.
That first part isn't what I'm talking about. If anything, my point is the opposite, as you should drive at slower speeds anyway. That is my point.

I also posted earlier in the thread some AS tires that perform well in those conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,068,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Here's the deal - not one person from the snowiest regions in the country (Midwest/upper NE) has said they use snow tires. NOT ONE. Why exactly do you think that is? The only contrarians are from Quebec (where it's suspiciously mandated) and rural alpine (Rocky Mtns) areas.

Again, why do you think there are no exceptions? Why are the only people saying they switch out to snow tires every year the ones mandated to do so or those in extreme rural alpine areas? Is there a conspiricy? Or is it the reality of day-to-day life in the snowiest areas of the United States? I am going to go with the latter, as I've had decades worth of driving here and I (and all the people I know) never switch out my tires. It's not "bragging," it's quite the opposite - we live here, and we actually understand conditions and how to drive them. YOU clearly do not.

Your grampa from Michigan may have used snow tires in the '70s, but your cousin in Minnesota currently does not.
You won't even respond to me anymore because you won't admit that you're wrong. My dad moved from Massachusetts to NV several years ago, and he ALWAYS switched out tires on his car. My wife's family lives in in Western PA (and she went to college at St. Bonaventure in NY) and they ALWAYS switch out their tires. Does it not count because they're not on this C-D thread? Is City-Data the only place that you get information? For goodness' sake, there are plenty of other threads on city-data where people from your area argue about the issue. Seriously, scroll down to "similar threads."

But back to what I asked you before, do you really think that people with wide, low profile tires keep them on in the winter? Do you not understand my rear wheel drive or sports car comment? Do you know even know what summer tires are?

On other threads, I actually discourage people from purchasing them in certain regions/certain reasons. But your blanket generalizations are ridiculous. People DO buy winter tires in many places where it regularly snows, despite the fact that you don't.

Last edited by bartonizer; 01-07-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 PM

28,247 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
It also apparently needs to be pointed out that not everyone drives a Honda Accord or a Ford Focus. Those that own sports cars (or luxury vehicles with RWD) often prefer low profile summer tires, which perform substantially better than all seasons in dry/warm conditions but substantially worse in the snow.
Beamers will almost always be the first car you see stuck on the side of the road. This car even has the highly vaunted "xDrive," which most people do not realize is not the same as all wheel drive. This is in New Jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGWH5NQ_K00

Of course, getting stuck in the snow is pretty low down on the list of safety concerns.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of accidents occur for various reasons and I understand the information, but the point some are making is that you can and many do get by just fine. People forget that many of these high snowfall areas have the resources to remove the snow in an efficient and timely manner. There is variation among All Weather tires as well. So, there are many factors to consider.
There are indeed many factors to consider, one of them being that many people don't want all-seasons on their car in the summer months- or ever. Again, most owners of sports cars own summer tires, which offer substantially better performance in dry/warm conditions but substantially reduced performance in the winter. Just about anyone with summer tires on their vehicle swaps out tires in snowy climates, because they're not even as good as all-seasons.

And some people with normal cars have seen the light, too. Most of us are smart enough to know that we shouldn't drive fast in inclement weather or on iffy roads. And yes, there are a few AS tires that are rated fairly well in snow-compared to other AS tires. But generally, there is a noticeable advantage to snow tires. And there are people in all consistently snowy regions that know the difference. I'm not sure why it's so hard for some people to believe.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
That first part isn't what I'm talking about. If anything, my point is the opposite, as you should drive at slower speeds anyway. That is my point.
But that's basically what you're saying. It's not enough to say "You should drive at slower speeds anyway" because the Tire Rack tests show how much longer it takes for a vehicle to come to a complete stop under 20 mph (with all seasons). In your mind, 20 mph does not sound fast, but it is fast considering you need to bring a 4,000 pound vehicle to rest. As one poster wrote in a car specific forum:

Quote:
There are plenty of accidents out there that could have been avoided if only the driver could have stopped 20' shorter or could have just made it around that turn.

Besides, you've jinxed it now. How ticked off will you be now if you find yourself in the middle of a three car accident and realize the snows would have saved you?
And that's basically what it comes down to (and this is from a NOVA forum...hardly an arctic climate). And it's not only about your ability to handle snow, but also your ability to respond to drivers who can't handle snow. If a car in the lane next to you starts to fishtail and lose control, do you really want to be in all seasons?

Quote:
I also posted earlier in the thread some AS tires that perform well in those conditions.
There are no AS tires that perform "well" in those conditions. I don't care if they are PS3s, Potenzas, P Zeros, DWSs, Eagles, etc. They just don't and you'd get laughed out of any car forum for saying such non-sense.

"All" Season tires are really 3 season tires. If you're in Philly or the DC Metro area, you can easily get by with all seasons because snowdays are few and far between compared to the more northern reaches of the United States. If snow is on the ground a couple of times a week, then you'd be well advised to get some winter tires. There are over 5 million winter tires sold in the U.S. each year and my guess would be that the vast bulk of those are purchased in the Upper Midwest and mountainous areas. They're not buying them in Georgia.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Beamers will almost always be the first car you see stuck on the side of the road. This car even has the highly vaunted "xDrive," which most people do not realize is not the same as all wheel drive. This is in New Jersey.

Of course, getting stuck in the snow is pretty low down on the list of safety concerns.
I agree with everything you've said about the advantages of snow tires. I've owned Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ices and Hankook IPikes. My point is just that for some vehicles, AS tires aren't even preferable in the summer, let alone the winter. And in consistently snowy climates, no one would trust the summer tires on their car to take them through the winter. They either swap them seasonally or don't use the car regularly.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,520,811 times
If people around you are driving all-seasons, the more reason YOU should be driving with snow tires so you can avoid them when they can't stop or swerve into your lane. Just a though

Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I agree with everything you've said about the advantages of snow tires. I've owned Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ices and Hankook IPikes. My point is just that for some vehicles, AS tires aren't even preferable in the summer, let alone the winter. And in consistently snowy climates, no one would trust the summer tires on their car to take them through the winter. They either swap them seasonally or don't use the car regularly.
Riding on summer tires during the winter is an obvious death wish. The issue here boils down to the age old debate between all season and winter tires.

The decision to get winter tires, I think, comes down to how much it snows where you live and how often you drive. I have the option to leave my car on the street and use public transit so there's no compelling reason to have dedicated season tires. If it snows, I don't drive. Simple. Plus, we don't get that much snow. If I lived in a sprawled out, car dependent suburb in Michigan or Wisconsin where I literally had to drive everywhere to do anything, and there was consistent snowfall on top of that, I would have winter tires on in a heartbeat. For me, it would be a no brainer.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
If people around you are driving all-seasons, the more reason YOU should be driving with snow tires so you can avoid them when they can't stop or swerve into your lane. Just a though
But all you gotta do is drive slow. The only people who run off the road during winter are idiot drivers who don't know how to drive in cold conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsclaXxy6c

Old 01-07-2015, 01:26 PM

A test done at 11mph. The winter tires stopped 18.5 feet earlier than all seasons. The winters were also able to negotiate a turn at 11 mph whereas the all seasons crashed through the cones (which in real life would be property, people or a ditch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWDPbPpdOg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.