Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use winter tires?
Yes 20 30.30%
No 37 56.06%
We don't get snow here 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 03:26 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I said guess because it was a guess. And until YOU can back up your contention from far away that a substantial % of people in the Upper Midwest use snow tires (they don't, though - guaranteed), we'll just have to go with first-hand accounts of the people who live in the snowiest regions of the country. Which doesn't include you. Unless you can produce stats. Which you either will not be able to find, or you will find, and quickly discard because you'll see we're right.

Even with more people on the road and nearly everyone using all-weather tires, Wisconsin totalled its lowest road deaths since WWII, which counters all the "hey man, if you guys up there want to drive daaaangerously, then do it" BS: Wisconsin has fewest road deaths since 1943

Western NY is not the only area of the country with substantial snowfall, though it seems to be the only snowy place B.Y. is familiar with
You made a claim that NO ONE in those regions purchased snow tires but backed it up without any facts.

I can prove that people in those snow regions do in fact purchase snow tires by the mere fact that tire shops in those regions stock snow tires. Tire shops don't stock inventory that NO ONE purchases. So if NO ONE purchased snow tires there would be no need for said tire shops to stock any snow tires.

Understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
It is weird that so many people who don't live in the upper Midwest want to argue about this, as if they know more about what people do here than we do. Generally speaking people in this part of the country do not use snow tires. I have never heard anyone talk about how they had to get their tires changed because winter is coming. We don't do it to brag, or so we can imagine that we are bad asses, but because we don't really see the point of it. The sunk costs plus the hassle of having your tires changed plus having to find a place to store the second set don't seem to be worth it. People who live in warmer areas can't seem to wrap their heads around that fact.

If I lived in the mountains of the west I would definitely have snow tires because I don't want to drive off a cliff and die, but otherwise they seem like they are just a car guy type of thing. Normal people don't have them. I think a lot of people on the west coast think snow tires are a normal part of winter driving because most of their experience of driving in the snow is in the mountains where it is actually a good idea to have them.

Here is a reference point from the Minnesota forum:

Do you switch to snow tires for the Winter?

The poll is at 19 to 2 in favor of not changing tires.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It is weird that so many people who don't live in the upper Midwest want to argue about this, as if they know more about what people do here than we do. Generally speaking people in this part of the country do not use snow tires. I have never heard anyone talk about how they had to get their tires changed because winter is coming. We don't do it to brag, or so we can imagine that we are bad asses, but because we don't really see the point of it. The sunk costs plus the hassle of having your tires changed plus having to find a place to store the second set don't seem to be worth it. People who live in warmer areas can't seem to wrap their heads around that fact.

If I lived in the mountains of the west I would definitely have snow tires because I don't want to drive off a cliff and die, but otherwise they seem like they are just a car guy type of thing. Normal people don't have them. I think a lot of people on the west coast think snow tires are a normal part of winter driving because most of their experience of driving in the snow is in the mountains where it is actually a good idea to have them.

Here is a reference point from the Minnesota forum:

Do you switch to snow tires for the Winter?

The poll is at 19 to 2 in favor of not changing tires.
I agree, to me they seem much more necessary in the mountains. The risk of sliding off a cliff there is greater than in Minnesota and most other upper Midwestern states. It seems scary to me, but I guess people out there are used to it.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm done "debating" this, as it's quite clear that the only people who switch out to snow tires are ones who are in foreign countries where it's mandated and people who have to deal with extreme rural alpine conditions. Oh, and if you have a "performance vehicle" with low profile tires.

No one I know, and no one from the snowiest regions of the country on this thread has stated that they swap out their tires for snow tires. I haven't seen a single person do it since the '70s, and I grew up in northern WI along Lake Michigan.
The implication being that because no one you know uses snow tires therefore no one uses snow tires..

Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate

No one I know, and no one from the snowiest regions of the country on this thread has stated that they swap out their tires for snow tires. I haven't seen a single person do it since the '70s, and I grew up in northern WI along Lake Michigan.
Wisconsin i presume is one of your example areas where no one uses winter/snow tires, if thats the case its odd that so many places are selling winter/snow tires.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...s+in+Wisconsin

Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wisconsin i presume is one of your example areas where no one uses winter/snow tires, if thats the case its odd that so many places are selling winter/snow tires.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...s+in+Wisconsin
SHHH, don't let facts get in the way of his opinion

Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
SHHH, don't let facts get in the way of his opinion
this coming from someone who advocates...

all public roads in snow areas to be heated....(including neighborhood roads) in major cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37864808-post1.html

Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this coming from someone who advocates...

all public roads in snow areas to be heated....(including neighborhood roads) in major cities

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37864808-post1.html
Yep, it was a CRAZY thought. I even stated so. I never said it was feasible, just a discussion.

Notice my first line was Call me crazy, just throwing things out there

Old 01-10-2015, 02:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Winter tires; who needs 'em?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk

Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,325,755 times
For those who agree winter tires are a good idea.....

Would you ever use studded winter tires? Seems like if you are going to switch tires anyhow why not use studded if they are legal vs regular snow tires?

Are there any links to tests between snow tires vs studded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.