U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:20 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Anywhere in 2015 America will be fine. Just get a good job first
Any major city, perhaps. I wouldn't say anywhere though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,196,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I dunno, once you get a good job and are a bit settled on the financial front, I've noticed that problems regarding other people tend to diminish.

Hell, if some dude from India can run a motel in rural Alabama for 20 years and have very little happen to him, I'm sure that someone a bit more educated can do fine.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times
My four kids are biracial. I've lived in mid size cities throughout the South and east coast most of my life as their mother. No significant issues whatsoever. The occasional stare, and there were a few (very few) minor insults to them when they were in middle school - but what middle schoolers DON'T do that or deal with that?

Now they're all happily grown and three of the four are married, and of course their marriages HAVE to be interracial because they're a mix themselves. So now they have interracial marriages (white, Korean, Panamanian/Italian) and they're all doing great too.

A whole lot of happiness depends simply on your own self confidence and self assurance. People tend to live up or down to our expectations.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 PM

56,645 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Oddly enough, major college towns may also be very good, if you can find a job, given the demographics that most of them have.

Also, military towns could also work for similar reasons.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oddly enough, major college towns may also be very good, if you can find a job, given the demographics that most of them have.

Also, military towns could also work for similar reasons.
True - military towns are a good idea.

Towns and cities up and down the East Coast seem to be particularly suited for interracial families, especially around military installations.

Also, metro areas in Texas (especially Houston and DFW) are very racially integrated.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My four kids are biracial. I've lived in mid size cities throughout the South and east coast most of my life as their mother. No significant issues whatsoever. The occasional stare, and there were a few (very few) minor insults to them when they were in middle school - but what middle schoolers DON'T do that or deal with that?

Now they're all happily grown and three of the four are married, and of course their marriages HAVE to be interracial because they're a mix themselves. So now they have interracial marriages (white, Korean, Panamanian/Italian) and they're all doing great too.

A whole lot of happiness depends simply on your own self confidence and self assurance. People tend to live up or down to our expectations.
Couldn't agree more. Doesn't stop small minded people from existing though. Having that said, those people can exist anywhere...even here in California (especially in older communities like La Habra, Yorba Linda etc). It all comes down to finding NEIGHBORHOODS that are supportive and nourishing for you and your family.

My family is Latino/Mexican, of mixed ancestries (European/Asian/Native American), and just about all my cousins (including myself) have tended to date and marry outside our own niche as well. We all have very distinct looks, so when we go out nobody thinks we are necessarily family...but that is part of the beauty of it. Growing up in a family where your own kin look like they can be from various parts of the world, teaches you from an early age to treat people and judge people based on their actions, not their exterior.

If your family and mine are examples of what is to come for the future of America, then I'll be looking forward to it.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:19 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsperanza View Post
I'm considering moving to the United States, but I'm really worried about the racial segregation and prejudice. I'm white, and my girlfriend is black. I'm afraid that my kids might end up growing surrounded by racism and rejection. I don't want my kids to have a hard time finding friends because white, latin or asian kids won't play with them. This is the MAJOR issue to me, and it will probably stop me from moving to the US.

I'm considering Los Angeles, San Diego and other cities in CA. Would you say that there is anywhere in the United States where segregation amongst kids isn't common?
You appear to have very limited knowledge of U.S. culture, as well as the complicated process required to emigrate from another country. Otherwise, you would not be asking these questions.

Emigrating To The USA - Moving to and Living in America

Old 01-03-2015, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,479 times
That's great to hear folks, thank you very much!

Please note that my main concern isn't about what they might think about my relationship, but what my children might suffer. I don't want them without a job or becoming part of a freaking violent mexican killing gang because nobody else would become their friends. In Brazil you would see blacks and whites hanging together like anyone else, the racial prejudice here seems to be way smaller than in US.

I don't have a job though, I will try to get into the medical residency in CA to get my visa and my medical credentials accepted. Wish me luck!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Quote:
It also doesn't have much diversity TBH. Vancouver, BC just across the border in Canada feels much more cosmopolitan than Seattle despite how similar they otherwise are. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Seattle, just is what it is.)

The Los Angeles area is a good choice. Yes, there are areas where certain groups tend to concentrate/congregate (East LA for Latinos, South LA for blacks, coasts for whites, San Gabriel Valley for Asians), but you will also find all types of people in those areas. Not to mention there are pockets of what I call ultra diversity, meaning hundreds of different ethnicity/nationalities/races all living/working/studying next to each other, mixing, like where I grew up in the suburbs of North Orange County (Buena Park/Cypress/Cerritos/Fullerton). BTW, where I grew up no one sees it as inter-racial dating, it is just dating.

Then again, it isn't all unicorns and rainbows, as there is still some tension in the inner 'city' (or is it the inner suburbs in LA? lol). For the most part that tends to be gang related, and it revolves around Latinos vs. Blacks and Mexicans vs. CentralAmericans. BUT majority of people in LA aren't in a gang, and most people in LA could care less about who you are or aren't dating. Unless, you're a celebrity...then they definitely care (well, some do...I don't.)
Bingo. I kind of get tired of people who get all preachy about how segregated other cities are, yet the percentage of African Americans in their own cities is in the mid single digits, or even less. Mind you, I support diversity and walked the walk by raising kids in a diverse neighborhood. We only moved when the public schools proved to be awful and private schools were cost-prohibitive. But it's amazing to me how many people will want to say nice, pious things about diversity when they themselves hail from rather homogenous places.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,373 times
Quote:
It also doesn't have much diversity TBH.
Compared to LA or Houston, cities like Seattle (or Denver, or Minneapolis) are not that diverse. Compared to most of the cities of the rest of the world they are still very diverse. London, which is considered one of the most diverse major cities in the world, is still 75% white. By the logic of City Data diversity discussions it would be grouped with Seattle, Minneapolis and Boston, and the fact that it is relatively integrated would be considered irrelevant.

Unless they are coming from Vancouver or Toronto someone from another country will find every city in America to be diverse, it is just a matter of degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.