U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,883,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Compared to LA or Houston, cities like Seattle (or Denver, or Minneapolis) are not that diverse. Compared to most of the cities of the rest of the world they are still very diverse. London, which is considered one of the most diverse major cities in the world, is still 75% white. By the logic of City Data diversity discussions it would be grouped with Seattle, Minneapolis and Boston, and the fact that it is relatively integrated would be considered irrelevant.

Unless they are coming from Vancouver or Toronto someone from another country will find every city in America to be diverse, it is just a matter of degrees.
I would add Sa Paulo to one of those.mega diverse cities...Panama City as well. Singapore to am extent (Asian.diversity mostly)

Point well made though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,478 times
Folks, I'm scared! Look at the comments on this post! So much racism in so few comments! I think that I'm changing my mind about being a doc in the US Racial segregation in Dallas schools?

Old 01-03-2015, 04:00 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsperanza View Post
Folks, I'm scared! Look at the comments on this post! So much racism in so few comments! I think that I'm changing my mind about being a doc in the US Racial segregation in Dallas schools?
That's because people can say whatever they want to behind their computers and non-descriptive usernames. So you'll see the most overt racism and other harsh ideologies in internet forums than you ever will in the "real world" (face to face). Most people would never have the gall to talk like that to somebody's face. It's similar to when people drive their car and flip the bird (say "F you!") to anyone and everyone that bothers them, yet you almost never see that kind of behavior on the sidewalk or at the park, for example, where people aren't behind their "shield".

Also, in instances like these you're looking at the most racist 1% of the population, and not the remaining 99% who either never read that article or read it but didn't comment because they didn't have any problems with the subject-matter. It's certainly not your average slice of America.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times
Quote:
I'm considering moving to the United States, but I'm really worried about the racial segregation and prejudice. I'm white, and my girlfriend is black. I'm afraid that my kids might end up growing surrounded by racism and rejection. I don't want my kids to have a hard time finding friends because white, latin or asian kids won't play with them. This is the MAJOR issue to me, and it will probably stop me from moving to the US.

I'm considering Los Angeles, San Diego and other cities in CA. Would you say that there is anywhere in the United States where segregation amongst kids isn't common?
Race in America is complicated. There are some (relatively) integrated places where you might come across some racism (more blue-collar, industrial cities in the Northeast). Syracuse, NY is the most integrated city I've ever lived, and sadly it's also the most racist.

On the other side of the same coin, there are other cities like Minneapolis or Portland, OR that are highly segregated, but folks are generally pretty open-minded and accepting.

As a rule of thumb, racial tensions in America decrease the further west you go. I doubt you'll have a problem anywhere on the West Coast. Los Angeles, Sacramento, and the East Bay region of Northern California are some of the most diverse, accepting places in the world.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:12 PM

56,623 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Race in America is complicated. There are some (relatively) integrated places where you might come across some racism (more blue-collar, industrial cities in the Northeast). Syracuse, NY is the most integrated city I've ever lived, and sadly it's also the most racist.

On the other side of the same coin, there are other cities like Minneapolis or Portland, OR that are highly segregated, but folks are generally pretty open-minded and accepting.

As a rule of thumb, racial tensions in America decrease the further west you go. I doubt you'll have a problem anywhere on the West Coast. Los Angeles, Sacramento, and the East Bay region of Northern California are some of the most diverse, accepting places in the world.
I'm still baffled how it is the most racist, as the OP would be fine. It and any area isn't perfect in the US isn't perfect, as racism can be manifested in many ways. With this said OP, you can find what you are looking for whether it is Syracuse, Portland, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Houston, etc.....

Old 01-03-2015, 06:39 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,226,489 times
Quote:
That's great to hear folks, thank you very much!

Please note that my main concern isn't about what they might think about my relationship, but what my children might suffer. I don't want them without a job or becoming part of a freaking violent mexican killing gang because nobody else would become their friends. In Brazil you would see blacks and whites hanging together like anyone else, the racial prejudice here seems to be way smaller than in US.

I don't have a job though, I will try to get into the medical residency in CA to get my visa and my medical credentials accepted. Wish me luck!
Interestingly enough the most openly racist person I think I have ever met was a white Brazilian who had moved to Chicago. The last I had heard someone finally beat the **** out of him after he got drunk and said the wrong thing to the wrong person.

That anecdote aside, I think you'll be fine the vast majority of America's large and mid-sized cities and metros. You'll also find that a lot of the segregation you'll see in certain cities and metros is economic at this point rather than actual racial hatred. For example, the white person from the affluent suburb of a random city is going to have more in common with a black person from the same suburb rather than a poor white person from a different area.

All of that being said, this might help you:
Most Segregated Cities Census Maps - Business Insider

Also, according this recent survey, Brazil and the US are about the same when it comes to their tolerance:
A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries - The Washington Post

Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,909,635 times
Quote:
I'm considering moving to the United States, but I'm really worried about the racial segregation and prejudice. I'm white, and my girlfriend is black. I'm afraid that my kids might end up growing surrounded by racism and rejection. I don't want my kids to have a hard time finding friends because white, latin or asian kids won't play with them. This is the MAJOR issue to me, and it will probably stop me from moving to the US.

I'm considering Los Angeles, San Diego and other cities in CA. Would you say that there is anywhere in the United States where segregation amongst kids isn't common?

Stay away from the northeast.

I would also stay away from Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, West Virginia, and Kentucky.

Also. California has a very high COL so I hope you guys are making alot of money. like 75k between the both of you just to be comfortable with kids.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think we just isolated your problem. If youre basing what life in America is like on movies, youll never know the reality.

Ive lived in LA, DC, Chicago, and currently in Dallas. Im an Arab man with an Asian wife. Had a couple of stares in Chicago over the two years I was there. Other than that, no stares, no looks, no remarks, nothing.

Pick a city you like or can get a job and then isolate an area. There is racism everywhere but very little of it is overt.

D.C. may be a good choice but the OP is not being specific enough. He says he wants to live in an area that's racially accepting of interracial relationships and bi racial children but he didn't state what his other requirements are.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You can find what you want in any major city or one of their suburbs in the US.
That's a complete lie. Different areas in the united states aren't all equal when it comes to race relations. Some areas are less racist then others and vice versa.

Example. West Virginia is really bad. You will hear a bunch of Arnold Schwarzenegger jokes.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:08 PM

56,623 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Stay away from the northeast.

I would also stay away from Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, West Virginia, and Kentucky.

Also. California has a very high COL so I hope you guys are making alot of money. like 75k between the both of you just to be comfortable with kids.
There is no need to stay away from the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.