U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Race in America is complicated. There are some (relatively) integrated places where you might come across some racism (more blue-collar, industrial cities in the Northeast). Syracuse, NY is the most integrated city I've ever lived, and sadly it's also the most racist.

On the other side of the same coin, there are other cities like Minneapolis or Portland, OR that are highly segregated, but folks are generally pretty open-minded and accepting.

As a rule of thumb, racial tensions in America decrease the further west you go. I doubt you'll have a problem anywhere on the West Coast. Los Angeles, Sacramento, and the East Bay region of Northern California are some of the most diverse, accepting places in the world.
I think this is a gross simplification.

Basically there are two different elements of racism (against blacks in particular) in U.S. society. One is the level of individual bigoted comments which are considered to be socially acceptable to say. Generally speaking the threshold for this is higher in the South, and in working-class areas in the Northeast and Midwest. But even then, the vast majority of people making these comments will not say them to your face if you are a person of color.

Entirely orthogonal to this is the degree to which white people in a given area are comfortable with a significant number of black people living in their neighborhood. Generally this tolerance is the lowest in the Northeast and Midwest. In the South people tend to be much more tolerant of living alongside black people, although the school systems (due to wide use of religious schools) and social networks may mean that even if neighborhoods are integrated, people will not socialize across racial lines commonly. The West is by far the most tolerant - essentially no cities west of Kansas City have the swathes of 90%+ black neighborhoods you find elsewhere, meaning the vast majority of blacks live in moderately to totally integrated neighborhoods.

The interesting thing is, as I intimated, the two different elements of racism have nothing to do with one another. Often a working-class white person will causally talk about "the blacks" and off-color jokes, but live next door to blacks and even have biracial people in their family. And many white liberals will do everything they can to never say anything to offend a black person, but also wouldn't deign to send their kids to a school which was more than 10% black if there was another option.

I am not a black person, needless to say, so I can't be the judge here. But I think in a systematic sense the latter is far more poisonous for race relations than the former. Even if it sometimes does not come from consciously racist intentions (e.g., the person thinks they really care about "good schools" or "low crime" not race) it does far more to keep up segregation than mere bigotry, since the working-class white bigots own kids (as I noted) generally are growing up far more racially tolerant because they are friends (and often lovers) of black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,907,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is no need to stay away from the Northeast.
Are you kidding me? The northeast is one of the most racist regions in the nation.
Covert racism runs rampant over there.
I really do not feel like posting links, statistics, data to prove my point.
Stop lieing to the OP and giving bad advice.

OP United States isn't a fairly land. Some places are better then others. As a matter of fact are nation's racial tensions are very high thanks to the Micheal Brown, Eric Garner murders by Police and the two officers who where murdered in retaliation to those murders.

It doesn't matter if your in an interracial relationship.
Your kids are Bi racial which means they will be seen as black just like our BI RACIAL President barack Obama.

You need to treat your Bi racial children as Black children because that's the way the world is going to treat them. That means you have to be VERY selective on where you choose to raise your kids.

When your kids get older will they have an easy time finding a job in the area you live in or will they have to leave the area? Will they get treated fairly in school? Will they get harassed by officers when there teens when your not around? I know because I have been through it.

My Mom moved to CT which is in the Northeast and its one of the most racist states in the nation. I had nothing but terrible experiences there. I was pulled over for doing 3 mph over the speed limit. I have had interviewers who were excited to hire me over the phone because I sounded white but once we met in person I could see their facial expression turn into shock and then disgust (happened alot). I have been harassed by Boston Police officers. They pulled me over for no reason other then to give me a "welcome" to the city.

Pittsburgh PA and all its surrounded areas are even worse. I've actually been refused service several times in Union town. The Northeast practices ALOT of Marginalization and redlining. Hartford's educational system sucks and guess who makes up most of its population. Blacks and Latinos. Coincidence? I think not.

New York City is highly segregated.

You can do the research yourself.

It's in institutionalized covert racism in the northeast. There's a little Over racism in certain areas but its mostly covert. The blacks there are poor and incarcerated at an alarming rate up there.

Unless you want the same thing for your children stay away from the Northeast.
You have been warned.

So far most of these other posters have no clue what they are talking about. Most of them are probably white themselves. They don't experience racism because their not on the receiving end.

Last edited by Veyron; 01-03-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think this is a gross simplification.

Basically there are two different elements of racism (against blacks in particular) in U.S. society. One is the level of individual bigoted comments which are considered to be socially acceptable to say. Generally speaking the threshold for this is higher in the South, and in working-class areas in the Northeast and Midwest. But even then, the vast majority of people making these comments will not say them to your face if you are a person of color.

Entirely orthogonal to this is the degree to which white people in a given area are comfortable with a significant number of black people living in their neighborhood. Generally this tolerance is the lowest in the Northeast and Midwest. In the South people tend to be much more tolerant of living alongside black people, although the school systems (due to wide use of religious schools) and social networks may mean that even if neighborhoods are integrated, people will not socialize across racial lines commonly. The West is by far the most tolerant - essentially no cities west of Kansas City have the swathes of 90%+ black neighborhoods you find elsewhere, meaning the vast majority of blacks live in moderately to totally integrated neighborhoods.

The interesting thing is, as I intimated, the two different elements of racism have nothing to do with one another. Often a working-class white person will causally talk about "the blacks" and off-color jokes, but live next door to blacks and even have biracial people in their family. And many white liberals will do everything they can to never say anything to offend a black person, but also wouldn't deign to send their kids to a school which was more than 10% black if there was another option.

I am not a black person, needless to say, so I can't be the judge here. But I think in a systematic sense the latter is far more poisonous for race relations than the former. Even if it sometimes does not come from consciously racist intentions (e.g., the person thinks they really care about "good schools" or "low crime" not race) it does far more to keep up segregation than mere bigotry, since the working-class white bigots own kids (as I noted) generally are growing up far more racially tolerant because they are friends (and often lovers) of black people.
This is still kind of a general comment, as you can find neighborhoods with high, if not very high percentages of non Whites/people of color. Think Inglewood, Compton, Richmond, East Oakland and South Central Los Angeles just in CA, among some others.

Also, many major college towns, which tend to have a more liberal vibe, will have good public schools/school districts that are over 10% Black. Some may even have Black people in leadership positions like the superintendant of schools and mayor in Ithaca NY or Iowa City IA having a Black mayor between 2006-2008, for a couple of examples. So, even things like this will vary.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:02 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Quote:
This is still kind of a general comment, as you can find neighborhoods with high, if not very high percentages of non Whites/people of color. Think Inglewood, Compton, Richmond, East Oakland and South Central Los Angeles just in CA, among some others.
Compton is around 65% Latino, 32% black these days. And all of the others are way less black than they were 10-20 years ago, albeit in a lot of cases they are still black majority areas. Most of the "black" sections of Oakland, for example, are like 40%-60% black as of 2010. A lot of this is admittedly due to black flight" from Cali being especially strong, but still, at current trends there will be essentially no majority-black neighborhoods in California in another 20 years, meaning the black population left will be entirely integrated into other communities.

Outside of California, the West tends to be quite integrated. There's a not insubstantial black population in places like Las Vegas, Denver, and Seattle, yet there's very little remaining that someone would call a "black neighborhood" in any of these cities.

Quote:
Also, many major college towns, which tend to have a more liberal vibe, will have good public schools/school districts that are over 10% Black. Some may even have Black people in leadership positions like the superintendant of schools and mayor in Ithaca NY or Iowa City IA having a Black mayor between 2006-2008, for a couple of examples. So, even things like this will vary.
I'm not saying that it never happens. White liberals are not personally bigoted, and don't have issue with living around some black people. Many major metros have examples of well-integrated neighborhoods (Shaker Heights outside of Cleveland, Mount Airy in Philly, etc). But these tend to be the exceptions rather than the norm in most metros in the Northeast and Midwest sadly.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Are you kidding me? The northeast is one of the racist regions in the nation.
Covert racism runs rampant over there.
I really do not feel like posting links, statistics, data to prove my point.
Stop lieing to the OP and giving bad advice.
Again, based on personal experience, there is no need to exclude the Northeast.

Also, the Northeast is no different than the rest of the country in regards to racism. If you think that, then you need to stop fooling yourself, as it manifests itself in different ways.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2015 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Compton is around 65% Latino, 32% black these days. And all of the others are way less black than they were 10-20 years ago, albeit in a lot of cases they are still black majority areas. Most of the "black" sections of Oakland, for example, are like 40%-60% black as of 2010. A lot of this is admittedly due to black flight" from Cali being especially strong, but still, at current trends there will be essentially no majority-black neighborhoods in California in another 20 years, meaning the black population left will be entirely integrated into other communities.

Outside of California, the West tends to be quite integrated. There's a not insubstantial black population in places like Las Vegas, Denver, and Seattle, yet there's very little remaining that someone would call a "black neighborhood" in any of these cities.

I'm not saying that it never happens. White liberals are not personally bigoted, and don't have issue with living around some black people. Many major metros have examples of well-integrated neighborhoods (Shaker Heights outside of Cleveland, Mount Airy in Philly, etc). But these tend to be the exceptions rather than the norm in most metros in the Northeast and Midwest sadly.
Here is an interesting list of the census tracts in California ranked by percentage of Blacks from highest to lowest: California Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

So, it isn't as uncommon to find areas with overwhelmingly high Black percentages out West.

As for very integrated neighborhoods with a substantial Black percentage, you can actually find them in just about any top 100 metro, to some degree. I also think that the dynamics are different depending on the region due to geographical and historical reasons.

Here is info from other Western states: Colorado Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Washington Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Oregon Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Nevada Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Arizona Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

New Mexico Black Population Percentage Census Tract Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Also, the Northeast is no different than the rest of the country in regards to racism. If you think that, then you need to stop fooling yourself, as it manifests itself in different ways.
What race are you?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
What race are you?
Don't worry about it, little homie. Like I said, results will vary and no area is immune from racism. When Buffalo has a Per Capita Income Gap between Blacks and Whites, with Atlanta, DC and Detroit in the same vicinity in terms of percentage gap, that has to tell you something. Just so you don't think I'm making this up, you can look here: Study finds broad income inequality - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First

This doesn't get into the known and unknown incidents in recent years in various regions of this country. So, like I said, no region is immune to racism.

Welcome to America, young brother.........

With this said, OP, you can find what you are looking in many areas. It is just a matter of the right fit for you.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2015 at 10:48 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 PM

900 posts, read 765,387 times
CA will be great.

Aside from in the Midwest and New England an interracial couple won't even be noticed in the USA. Places where the races meet (the South and West) are very comfortable with interracial marriage. The American South, Which gets a bad rap, has the most interracial couples of any region. You would be just fine in AL or MS or LA. You'll be great in CA. There is nothing to fear.

Welcome to Ametica. You will barely see two couples alike here.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Okay this isn't my personal experience

New York City is one of the most segregated cities in the nation
New York City’s black-white dissimilarity score is 79.1. Manhattan is mostly white below 125th street in Harlem, besides Chinatown. South Brooklyn is also mostly white, with a few areas of Asians and Hispanics. Northeast Brooklyn into Queens is mostly Black. The Bronx and Queens are also highly diverse racially. The map below shows the racial lines of New York City. The red dots represent white people, blue represents Black, orange represents Hispanic, green represents Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.

In Philadelphia, white people occupy the South and Northeast Philly and the suburbs. North and West Philadelphia is heavily Black, with some Hispanics. Philadelphia’s black-white dissimilarity score is 73.7. The map below shows the racial lines of Philadelphia. The red dots represent white people, blue represents Black, orange represents Hispanic, green represents Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.

Pittsburgh Pa

Pittsburgh's black-white dissimilarity score is 63.1, according to a study of 2010 Census data by professors John Logan and Brian Stults of Brown and Florida State University. A score above 60 on the dissimilarity index is considered very high segregation.
The red dots show white people, blue is black, orange is Hispanic, green is Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.

Boston's black-white dissimilarity score is 67.8, according to a study of 2010 Census data by professors John Logan and Brian Stults of Brown and Florida State University. A score above 60 on the dissimilarity index is considered very high segregation.
The red dots show white people, blue is black, orange is Hispanic, green is Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.

Death of Eric Garner

On July 17, 2014, Eric Garner died in Staten Island, New York, after a police officer put him in a grappling hold. Many, including medical examiners, have described it as a chokehold,[9][10][11][5] while others argue it was a headlock and that no choking took place;[12][13][14][15] the use of chokeholds is a violation ofNew York City Police Department (NYPD) policy

After having the case for two months, a grand jury decided not to indict Pantaleo on December 3
First wave of protests

Al Sharpton organized a peaceful protest in Staten Island on the afternoon of July 19, and condemned the police's use of the chokehold on Garner, saying that "there is no justification" for it.[71]
On July 29, a protest organized by WalkRunFly Productions and poet Daniel J. Watts was held in Times Square. The protest was in the form of poetry and many Broadway entertainers participated in the event

The Most Racist City In America: Boston?

Hear it from Bostonians! P0stmasterP 9/25/12 4:23pm

One way to explain my city's racism is through the administration of our night establishments. Boston doesn't have much of a Black middle class, so Black people here have a reputation for not buying any drinks at downtown nightclubs and causing violence. As a result, there is literally no bar or club in town that exclusively plays hip-hop and reggae. 10 years ago there were 8-10 of those spots throughout the city, but they have since all been phased out or rebranded. In Maryland or North Carolina on the other hand, you can find 5 hip hop clubs packed into a single block.
The more sinister form of racism emanates from the distribution of property ownership. I'm Black and I live in the hood, and it seems like all of the small businesses, shop owners, and property investors are managed by first or second generation immigrants. So my usual day consists of being one of 3 non-White people working at a 100 person firm in the financial district, getting side eyed by the Dominincan or Cape Verdean shop owner as I'm buying a beer from Los Magicos Corner Store on the way home, and then calling my Vietnamese landlord to come do something about the sink that's been leaking for a week.

KeeferMoon 9/25/12 3:08pm

You missed the one element that makes Boston way more racist than any city on this list: The vehement denials of racism every time race comes up. I grew up just outside of Newark in what I know know to be a diverse New Jersey town. Boston took every racial and ethnic background my town had and divided them up like Trivial Pursuit pieces. Oh, you're Southern Asian? Welcome to Cambridge. Oh, you're black? There's some property in Roxbury and Mattapan you might be interested in? Vietnamese? You're going to love Dorchester. Heaven forbid that filing system should go awry. Then you'd get the Great Boston Race Discussion:
Me: Race.
Boston: God, why does it have to be about race all the time? We're not racist. Those things happened 40 years ago. I went to Harvard with a Pakistani guy. Our governor's black. You're talking about race, so you're the racist one. God, just let it go already!

Whitefish 9/25/12 3:06pm

I went to law school in Boston. I'm white and it was quite common, when engaged in small talk with a white stranger, for that person to make racist comments. It's the only place I've lived where people just assumed that kind of talk would be OK.

e little-explored aspect of Dave Chappelle's "meltdown" during a performance in Hartford last week is the significance of where the incident took place, journalist and Connecticut native Ann-Marie Adams argues in a piece at Ebony. She argues that Connecticut, rather than being a liberal oasis, is a racial hotbed.
Location is a crucial unit of analysis for Chappelle’s supposed “meltdown.” It’s especially apt because many people perceive Connecticut as a liberal state, the cradle of the abolitionist movement and a respite from Jim Crow segregation. And it touts the story of a 17-year-old Martin Luther King, Jr., who mingled freely with Whites there before his ascendancy in the civil rights movement.

But many Black locals once dubbed Connecticut as 'the Mississippi of the North.' ...

To better understand why Chappelle walked off stage on that now-infamous night in Hartford, consider this: Connecticut has a long history of demotivating Black and brown people, especially students. Consequently, Connecticut has the highest academic achievement gap and one of the highest incarceration rates in the nation. Additionally, it has one of the highest suspension rates for kindergarteners. The 'Nutmeg State' also wrestled with slavery and servitude well into the early 20th century, a history erased from the public’s consciousness until 2002. Moreover, the state required the only school desegregation case in New England and maintains both one of the highest unemployment rates for Blacks and a high premature birth rate for Black women ..

Like I said...OP don't move to the northeast for your children's sake.

Last edited by Veyron; 01-03-2015 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.