U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:26 PM
 
56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Okay this isn't my personal experience

New York City is one of the most segregated cities in the nation
New York City’s black-white dissimilarity score is 79.1. Manhattan is mostly white below 125th street in Harlem, besides Chinatown. South Brooklyn is also mostly white, with a few areas of Asians and Hispanics. Northeast Brooklyn into Queens is mostly Black. The Bronx and Queens are also highly diverse racially. The map below shows the racial lines of New York City. The red dots represent white people, blue represents Black, orange represents Hispanic, green represents Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.


In Philadelphia, white people occupy the South and Northeast Philly and the suburbs. North and West Philadelphia is heavily Black, with some Hispanics. Philadelphia’s black-white dissimilarity score is 73.7. The map below shows the racial lines of Philadelphia. The red dots represent white people, blue represents Black, orange represents Hispanic, green represents Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.


Pittsburgh Pa

Pittsburgh's black-white dissimilarity score is 63.1, according to a study of 2010 Census data by professors John Logan and Brian Stults of Brown and Florida State University. A score above 60 on the dissimilarity index is considered very high segregation.
The red dots show white people, blue is black, orange is Hispanic, green is Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.






Boston's black-white dissimilarity score is 67.8, according to a study of 2010 Census data by professors John Logan and Brian Stults of Brown and Florida State University. A score above 60 on the dissimilarity index is considered very high segregation.
The red dots show white people, blue is black, orange is Hispanic, green is Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer.


Death of Eric Garner



On July 17, 2014, Eric Garner died in Staten Island, New York, after a police officer put him in a grappling hold. Many, including medical examiners, have described it as a chokehold,[9][10][11][5] while others argue it was a headlock and that no choking took place;[12][13][14][15] the use of chokeholds is a violation ofNew York City Police Department (NYPD) policy

After having the case for two months, a grand jury decided not to indict Pantaleo on December 3
First wave of protests

Al Sharpton organized a peaceful protest in Staten Island on the afternoon of July 19, and condemned the police's use of the chokehold on Garner, saying that "there is no justification" for it.[71]
On July 29, a protest organized by WalkRunFly Productions and poet Daniel J. Watts was held in Times Square. The protest was in the form of poetry and many Broadway entertainers participated in the event

The Most Racist City In America: Boston?

Hear it from Bostonians! P0stmasterP 9/25/12 4:23pm

One way to explain my city's racism is through the administration of our night establishments. Boston doesn't have much of a Black middle class, so Black people here have a reputation for not buying any drinks at downtown nightclubs and causing violence. As a result, there is literally no bar or club in town that exclusively plays hip-hop and reggae. 10 years ago there were 8-10 of those spots throughout the city, but they have since all been phased out or rebranded. In Maryland or North Carolina on the other hand, you can find 5 hip hop clubs packed into a single block.
The more sinister form of racism emanates from the distribution of property ownership. I'm Black and I live in the hood, and it seems like all of the small businesses, shop owners, and property investors are managed by first or second generation immigrants. So my usual day consists of being one of 3 non-White people working at a 100 person firm in the financial district, getting side eyed by the Dominincan or Cape Verdean shop owner as I'm buying a beer from Los Magicos Corner Store on the way home, and then calling my Vietnamese landlord to come do something about the sink that's been leaking for a week.


KeeferMoon 9/25/12 3:08pm

You missed the one element that makes Boston way more racist than any city on this list: The vehement denials of racism every time race comes up. I grew up just outside of Newark in what I know know to be a diverse New Jersey town. Boston took every racial and ethnic background my town had and divided them up like Trivial Pursuit pieces. Oh, you're Southern Asian? Welcome to Cambridge. Oh, you're black? There's some property in Roxbury and Mattapan you might be interested in? Vietnamese? You're going to love Dorchester. Heaven forbid that filing system should go awry. Then you'd get the Great Boston Race Discussion:
Me: Race.
Boston: God, why does it have to be about race all the time? We're not racist. Those things happened 40 years ago. I went to Harvard with a Pakistani guy. Our governor's black. You're talking about race, so you're the racist one. God, just let it go already!


Whitefish 9/25/12 3:06pm

I went to law school in Boston. I'm white and it was quite common, when engaged in small talk with a white stranger, for that person to make racist comments. It's the only place I've lived where people just assumed that kind of talk would be OK.
Again, you can find degrees of integration and segregation throughout the US.

There have been incidents in all regions within the year and these things have occurred for years. So, again, no region is immune from any of this.

Where are you at right now, by the way? You may be interested in this by the way: Massachusetts Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Connecticut Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

New York Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

New Jersey Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Pennsylvania Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2015 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,913,460 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Don't worry about it, little homie. Like I said, results will vary and no area is immune from racism. When Buffalo has a Per Capita Income Gap between Blacks and Whites, with Atlanta, DC and Detroit in the same vicinity in terms of percentage gap, that has to tell you something. Just so you don't think I'm making this up, you can look here: Study finds broad income inequality - Buffalo - Buffalo Business First

This doesn't get into the known and unknown incidents in recent years in various regions of this country. So, like I said, no region is immune to racism.

Welcome to America, young brother.........

With this said, OP, you can find what you are looking in many areas. It is just a matter of the right fit for you.
A new Business First study has found that the per capita income for blacks is less than half the PCI for whites in 31 metropolitan areas.
The gap is widest in Bridgeport-Stamford, Conn.,

Four New York metros are among the 31 with the worst disparities.


This is from your link.

Racism is everywhere but its worse in some areas then others. Your study supports my argument.

It said Stamford Connecticut has the highest income inequality in the nation. Stamford Connecticut is located in the Northeast.

Thats why I'm telling the OP to stay clear of the Northeast. The cities with highest income inequality/disparity/whatever you want to call it...are from the Northeast. I see syracuse N.Y., Portland Maine, Lanceser Pa and more at the top of that income inequality list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,913,460 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, you can find degrees of integration and segregation throughout the US.

There have been incidents in all regions within the year and these things have occurred for years. So, again, no region is immune from any of this.

Where are you at right now, by the way? You may be interested in this by the way: Massachusetts Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

Connecticut Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

New York Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*

New Jersey Median Black Household Income Census Tract Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data*
I live in Houston Texas and I'm doing well for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:46 PM
 
56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
A new Business First study has found that the per capita income for blacks is less than half the PCI for whites in 31 metropolitan areas.
The gap is widest in Bridgeport-Stamford, Conn.,

Four New York metros are among the 31 with the worst disparities.


This is from your link.

Racism is everywhere but its worse in some areas then others. Your study supports my argument.

It said Stamford Connecticut has the highest income inequality in the nation. Stamford Connecticut is located in the Northeast.

Thats why I'm telling the OP to stay clear of Northeast. The cities with highest income inequality/disparity/whatever you want to call it...are from the Northeast. I see syracuse N.Y., Portland Maine, Lanceser Pa and more.
There are cities from all regions with big gaps and the metro with a sizable Black population and the lowest gap is the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area in NY. That metro is also one of the most integrated metros in the US. So, it also proves my point about variance in terms of regions and across the country.

Keep in mind that DC and Atlanta are around 52-54%, which should tell you something. Hartford is on par with those 2 areas. San Francisco is one of those 31 areas and the same for your current area of Houston. So, the study illustrates what I am saying.

By the way, stay that way and I'm doing fine here in the Northeast. So, you can find examples in all regions.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2015 at 11:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 11:58 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,913,460 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are cities from all regions with big gaps and the metro with a sizable Black population and the lowest gap is the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area in NY. That metro is also one of the most integrated metros in the US. So, it also proves my point about variance in terms of regions and across the country. Keep in mind that DC and Atlanta are around 52-54%, which should tell you something. Hartford is on par with those 2 areas. San Francisco is one of those 31 areas.

By the way, stay that way and I'm doing fine here in the Northeast. So, you can find examples in all regions.
Bridgeport-Stamford, Conn.$56,72935.90%36.62%85.30%View Details The gap is widest in Bridgeport-Stamford, Conn.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...rrentPageSize=
The city with the worse income inequality in the nation is stamford CT which is located in the Northeast.
Pretty much all you did was support this data.


To better understand why Chappelle walked off stage on that now-infamous night in Hartford, consider this: Connecticut has a long history of demotivating Black and brown people, especially students. Consequently, Connecticut has the highest academic achievement gap and one of the highest incarceration rates in the nation. Additionally, it has one of the highest suspension rates for kindergarteners. The 'Nutmeg State' also wrestled with slavery and servitude well into the early 20th century, a history erased from the public’s consciousness until 2002. Moreover, the state required the only school desegregation case in New England and maintains both one of the highest unemployment rates for Blacks and a high premature birth rate for Black women ..

Thanks for connecting the dots.


5 of the top 11 cities for income inequality is from the Northeast region. Thats nearly half and thats real bad especially considering how small the northeast is compared to the other regions. Thats doesn't say but it screams racism more so then any other region.

OP he indirectly supported my argument you can make your own deductions.

Last edited by Veyron; 01-04-2015 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 AM
 
56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
The city with the worse income inequality in the nation is stamford CT which is located in the Northeast.

5 of the top 11 cities for income inequality is from the Northeast region. Thats nearly half especially considering how small the northeast is compared to the other regions. Thats doesn't say but it screams racism more so then any other region.
Read my post above, as your current area is one of the 31 and Hartford, a CT and Northeastern metro is on par with DC and Atlanta. Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Providence, Boston and Philadelphia are higher than Houston in this regard. The best example in terms of an area with a substantial Black population and a lower Black-White PCI gap is also a Northeastern and NY metro in the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area.

You say that stuff about CT, like there aren't examples just as bad, if not worse elsewhere.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-04-2015 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 12:46 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,913,460 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Read my post above, as your current area is one of the 31 and Hartford, a CT and Northeastern metro is on par with DC and Atlanta. Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Providence, Boston and Philadelphia are higher than Houston in this regard. The best example in terms of an area with a substantial Black population and a lower Black-White PCI gap is also a Northeastern and NY metro in the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area.

You say that stuff about CT, like there aren't examples just as bad, if not worse elsewhere.

1) The topic is called cities with low racial segragation. I posted examples on how segragated Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and pittsburgh are. Regardless of your income findings it still does not change the fact that the most populated cities in the Northeast are also the most segragated.
2) Stamford CT is number 1 for income inequality which is located in the Northeast. You can't dismiss that.
3) 5/11 of the worse cities for income inequality are from the northeast. You can't dismass that either.
4)
These cities were selected by Black Enterprise (BE) magazine as the top ten places for African Americans in the United States. Each city was evaluated on black homeownership rates, median black household income, black home loan rejections, percentage of black college graduates, black unemployment rates, percentage of black households earning more than $100,000 a year, and percentage of black-owned businesses.
Rank City, State % Black Population 1. Jacksonville, Fla. 22.5 2. Columbus, Ohio 14.1 3. Indianapolis, Ind. 14.6 4. Charlotte, N.C. 23.4 5. Dallas, Tex. 14.2 6. Nashville, Tenn. 15.3 7. Houston, Tex. 16.8 8. Raleigh-Durham, N.C. 21.3 9. Atlanta, Ga. 30.8 10. Washington, D.C. 26.6

Houston, TX: As the fourth largest city in America, Houston boasts a large Black middle class, and a solid economy, it is also one of the most affordable cities in the nation. Phrases like “the new Black Mecca” and “the next Atlanta” have been used as if Houston is currently the best kept secret in Black America.
Energy is the primary factor in the Houston economy. Geoscientist and Petroleum Engineers, for example, are highly paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 AM
 
56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
1) The topic is called cities with low racial segragation. I posted examples on how segragated Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and pittsburgh are. Regardless of your income findings it still does not change the fact that the most populated cities in the Northeast are also the most segragated.
2) Stamford CT is number 1 for income inequality which is located in the Northeast. You can't dismiss that.
3) 5/11 of the worse cities for income inequality are from the northeast. You can't dismass that either.
4)
These cities were selected by Black Enterprise (BE) magazine as the top ten places for African Americans in the United States. Each city was evaluated on black homeownership rates, median black household income, black home loan rejections, percentage of black college graduates, black unemployment rates, percentage of black households earning more than $100,000 a year, and percentage of black-owned businesses.
Rank City, State % Black Population 1. Jacksonville, Fla. 22.5 2. Columbus, Ohio 14.1 3. Indianapolis, Ind. 14.6 4. Charlotte, N.C. 23.4 5. Dallas, Tex. 14.2 6. Nashville, Tenn. 15.3 7. Houston, Tex. 16.8 8. Raleigh-Durham, N.C. 21.3 9. Atlanta, Ga. 30.8 10. Washington, D.C. 26.6

Houston, TX: As the fourth largest city in America, Houston boasts a large Black middle class, and a solid economy, it is also one of the most affordable cities in the nation. Phrases like “the new Black Mecca” and “the next Atlanta” have been used as if Houston is currently the best kept secret in Black America.
Energy is the primary factor in the Houston economy. Geoscientist and Petroleum Engineers, for example, are highly paid.
I know what the topic is and the original post also referred to opportunities as well. So, that economic information is also relevant and you can still find integrated communities in those areas. It isn't a be all, end all, but it can give a barometer from which the OP can use.

If you looked at some of the median household information I posted, you would get an idea for where there are middle class Black people live in the Northeast. So, the information is there for people willing to look and I wouldn't discourage the OP from looking in the Northeast.

Keep in mind that the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area of NY is one of the top areas in terms of the lowest Black-White gaps and is the first with a substantial Black population. It is also one of the most integrated top 100 metros in the US. It doesn't hurt that its proximity to NYC allows for people to commute there for work and other opportunities. So, this metro may have the best mix of integration and low gaps between Whites and people of color.

I wouldn't necessarily get caught up in the "Black Mecca" tag, as wherever you find Black people, you can find middle class Black people. Whether it is Bloomfield CT, SE Queens, much of Syracuse's East Side, Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods(among others) in Detroit, SW Atlanta(inc suburbs), Cheltenham outside of Philly, northern Milton MA outside of Boston, View Park-Windsor Hills and Ladera Heights in the LA area, Missouri City outside of Houston and so on. This isn't limited to a geographic region.

For what it is worth, there's this article: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/22...nted=all&_r=1&

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-04-2015 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 10:16 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,913,460 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know what the topic is and the original post also referred to opportunities as well. So, that economic information is also relevant and you can still find integrated communities in those areas. It isn't a be all, end all, but it can give a barometer from which the OP can use.

If you looked at some of the median household information I posted, you would get an idea for where there are middle class Black people live in the Northeast. So, the information is there for people willing to look and I wouldn't discourage the OP from looking in the Northeast.

Keep in mind that the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area of NY is one of the top areas in terms of the lowest Black-White gaps and is the first with a substantial Black population. It is also one of the most integrated top 100 metros in the US. It doesn't hurt that its proximity to NYC allows for people to commute there for work and other opportunities. So, this metro may have the best mix of integration and low gaps between Whites and people of color.

I wouldn't necessarily get caught up in the "Black Mecca" tag, as wherever you find Black people, you can find middle class Black people. Whether it is Bloomfield CT, SE Queens, much of Syracuse's East Side, Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods(among others) in Detroit, SW Atlanta(inc suburbs), Cheltenham outside of Philly, northern Milton MA outside of Boston, View Park-Windsor Hills and Ladera Heights in the LA area, Missouri City outside of Houston and so on. This isn't limited to a geographic region.

For what it is worth, there's this article: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/22...nted=all&_r=1&

I said my piece where going to have to disagree to agree. OP your going to have to draw your own conclusions based on the information available in this thread.

I posted hard evidence that supports my claims of high segregation in the top cities of the northeast which is exactly the data that you wanted according to your topic headline, data on the highest income inequality city which is in the northeast, 5/11 top cities for income inequality is in the northeast, numerous testimonies on the types discrimination in the northeast and articles that back up my personal experience.

If you didn't have Bi racial children I would obviously recommend cities like Boston, NYC, San Fran, all the cities where whites have the highest income possible but because you do have Bi racial children they would suffer in the long run.

A good amount of whites (Especially the Old Ones) are less excepting of other whites who date blacks even if your are a male. If you move to areas that are white dominant/conservative with Bi racial children your social network in that area will be weak.

I would move to places like Charlotte/Greensboro N.C., Houston/Dallas Tx, Washington D.C (high col of though) Phoenix Az, places where interracial dating is nearly the norm or places where blacks are doing well.

You can take my advice or not but you can never said you weren't made aware.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
 
56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12530
Also, keep in mind that you live in a neighborhood or community. So, you have to still pick accordingly in an area. For instance, a place like Baldwin NY may be a better fit than Oxon Hill MD. Farmington Hills MI may be a better fit than Rock Hill SC and so on. That is why you can rule any area out based on generalized information, as you may miss out on finding out about a community that may be a better fit for you.

Looking at an area like Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown NY, with its smaller gaps and being a relatively integrated metro, communities/school districts like Spackenkill, Cornwall, Pine Bush, Arlington and Valley Central, among some others, are solid-very good districts with diversity.

Also, as it has been mentioned before, there are interracial relationships/marriages in pretty much any area with a degree of diversity. In turn, you can research neighborhoods or communities that would be a good fit within an area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top