U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:23 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times

Advertisements

Military towns are a melting pot of sorts for obvious reasons. I live in Colorado Springs. My wife is Korean, I'm white, and our boys are of course mixed-race. In 32 years we've lived here, I never experienced "the stare" or a feeling of discomfort in any way. Even when we travel (except for the occasional idiot who tries to speak Japanese to my wife) we've never been made to feel uncomfortable. In fact if comments are made at all, it's been "My, you two are a cute couple!" They're half right, my wife is beautiful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 12:30 PM

105 posts, read 144,262 times
I am a white guy and my fiance is Mexican American girl and we are doing fine in Santa Monica. The LA area has a lot of mixed race couples mostly Hispanics with whites and Asians with whites with the occasional blacks with whites and Hispanics. LA is awesome in that respect.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:03 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsperanza View Post
I'm considering moving to the United States, but I'm really worried about the racial segregation and prejudice. I'm white, and my girlfriend is black. I'm afraid that my kids might end up growing surrounded by racism and rejection. I don't want my kids to have a hard time finding friends because white, latin or asian kids won't play with them. This is the MAJOR issue to me, and it will probably stop me from moving to the US.

I'm considering Los Angeles, San Diego and other cities in CA. Would you say that there is anywhere in the United States where segregation amongst kids isn't common?
You have an outdated view of racism in America. I like to say that racism and homosexuality have flip flopped since 1950. In 1950 gays were in the closet. Gay people married people of the opposite sex and sought to blend in and remain hidden from society or face harsh ostracism from society. It would certainly be rare to see two guys walking down the street kissing and holding hands back then, I would think. On the other hand, back then you could hear people openly express racism and it was acceptable to do so.

Today racism is in the closet and gays are out in the open. Hence, racist do not want to be exposed for the most part and therefore outward displays, such as disdain for interracial relationships, are not common these days. People these days keep their racial feelings to themselves and if and when they act out.....its clandestine.

That said, the level of racial intolerance has been in steady but slow decline for decades now. Racism does not usually come in a package deal along with hate, as it used to. Today there is much less of an emotional component to racism and more of a rational component (beliefs rationalized by statistics) and its more subconscious than conscious. Thus, I think you will be fine for the most part.....in any large city. Race does matters though....that is still true.....but you have to use common sense....avoid segregated areas. Most cities have segregated areas and more integrated areas. Hence, pick the integrated areas.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-07-2015 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAreTheStatistics View Post
California is one of the most racist places in the country (both ways) I know I lived there for 7 years of my life, in both Fresno and San Diego, I also spent a good amount of time in LA (friends) and a little bit in the bay area as well.

The biggest form of racism in California is Black on White, think Reginald Denny the trucker who was pulled from his truck and beaten within an in of his life cos blacks were mad at cops who they equate with white people even though it is the jew who sets policy for the united states. Think black college kids standing around campus preaching about how white people have calcified glands in their brain which prevent them from feeling the "universal vibes" that black people feel lol.

But mainly it's the violence, just check the stats. Black on white violent crime far exceeds white on black crime, mind you, there is a large black middle class and many rich blacks as well (OJ Simpson got away with murder god bless him).

But there is also plenty of all blacks neighborhoods like Watts, Compton, Inglewood etc... though many are now being inundated with illegal immigrants so the demographics are changing but they're still ghetos. There are working class white ghettoes as well.

So are you trying to avoid white on black racism or black on white racism?

White on black usually consists of people who don't want to be your friend, or less commonly call you offensive names like jungle bunny or some such (actually that would be more WV and southern type name calling which is sometimes even amusing if you have an open mind, northeast racist whites mainly avoid blacks)

Sometimes the name callers will not even really be racist but more just ****-talkers in general, or they think blacks call white people crackers so they should be able to call them names, just a tit for tat.

Black on white racism often times consists of overt aggressiveness or violence.

You'll do much better walking through a poor white neighborhood at night being black, then walking through a poor black neighborhood at night being white.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to condemn "black" people here, basically they've been driven against white people by the media. White people weren't even the real slave masters and jesus was originally called mithra, the same people have been telling you all the lies.

Honestly America is a beautiful place if you stay away from the people, you should move to West Virginia or Upstate NY and keep to yourself (that's if you can earn a living in those places).

America is gorgeous because of it's beautifully varied landscapes and waterways, not cos of the people, just ask Ithaca.
Well....one can open up a 400 page novel and then turn to page 375, then, based solely on the content found on that page 375, determine who is good, who is bad, who is right and who is wrong, who is superior and who is inferior. However, that would not be intelligent.

Existence is a continuum of actions begetting reactions temporally creating an evolution. Things are the way they are....mostly due to the way things were. Hence, one cannot understand the way things are unless the first understand the way things were. One cannot simply open up a 400 page book and decipher truth by ignoring the first 374 pages.

Every action creates a reaction. I do not know that I would classify black reaction to centuries of racism.....as the moral equivalent of the racism that they are reacting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.