U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or West Virginia more southern?
Missouri 29 39.73%
West Virginia 44 60.27%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,272,293 times

Advertisements

Both are roughly the same, to be completely honest. I've heard both described as "Mountain South" although that's only true for southern Missouri (Ozarks). Also, Kansas City and St. Louis are solidly Midwestern cities. However, the WV cities close to the Pittsburgh metro like Morgantown and Wheeling aren't really "southern" IMO. It's really a draw, maybe WV has a slight edge. Both states along with Oklahoma are more southern than Maryland and Delaware, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Both are roughly the same, to be completely honest. I've heard both described as "Mountain South" although that's only true for southern Missouri (Ozarks). Also, Kansas City and St. Louis are solidly Midwestern cities. However, the WV cities close to the Pittsburgh metro like Morgantown and Wheeling aren't really "southern" IMO. It's really a draw, maybe WV has a slight edge. Both states along with Oklahoma are more southern than Maryland and Delaware, though.
Both Kansas City and St. Louis are at the far edge of the Midwest. The rural counties south of both cities have a significant amount of southern influences and do not feel very similar to the vast majority of the Midwest at all. Also, in terms of landscape and climate WV does feel more northern as it does have some high elevated parts that get a substantial amount of snow each Winter. (Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, etc).

Old 01-01-2015, 04:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,936,476 times
This is a really good question, tough to answer. I'm going to say Missouri though...it's closer to the traditional south and I think southern Missouri definitely is southern. WV as others have said is more Appalachia and hillbilly like, and it borders Ohio and Pennsylvania neither of which are any kind of southern.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,901,578 times
I haven't ever been to West Virginia, but I was born and raised in Southeast Missouri. I always considered myself southern, but I also feel like that wasn't something that is very common statewide. West Virginia doesn't have anything like the bootheel, but West Virginia also doesn't have anything like St. Louis either. Interesting discussion though.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,732,481 times
Here's my map...once again...

Davy-040, without sounding rude: You're from the Netherlands, have you been to either Missouri or West Virginia? I'd say West Virginia is "mostly" southern appalachian but Missouri is mostly midwestern. However, a good portion of Missouri, just south and west of St Louis is VERY much southern, alebit the upland south but isn't much different from Kentucky or middle Tennessee. Even so they both are a different kind of southern

Old 01-02-2015, 08:37 AM

10,426 posts, read 12,427,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post

Davy-040, without sounding rude: You're from the Netherlands, have you been to either Missouri or West Virginia?
No i haven't, so what? It says you are located in Argentina

Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
This is a really good question, tough to answer. I'm going to say Missouri though...it's closer to the traditional south and I think southern Missouri definitely is southern. WV as others have said is more Appalachia and hillbilly like, and it borders Ohio and Pennsylvania neither of which are any kind of southern.
Many people consider extreme southeastern Ohio to be part of the upper south.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,732,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No i haven't, so what? It says you are located in Argentina
I've been to both, several times. My family is all from Kentucky, but I spent the last several years or so before coming to Argentina in Florida..

Southern Appalachian culture is similar to southern Ozark culture but there's alot of differences as well. Even the "twang" is different between the two. Western Kentucky would be more like southern Missouri, while eastern Kentucky would be more like southern and central West Virginia.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,347,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Many people consider extreme southeastern Ohio to be part of the upper south.
Marietta is a pretty southern town in an otherwise northern state.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 AM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post

Davy-040, without sounding rude: You're from the Netherlands, have you been to either Missouri or West Virginia? I'd say West Virginia is "mostly" southern appalachian but Missouri is mostly midwestern. However, a good portion of Missouri, just south and west of St Louis is VERY much southern, alebit the upland south but isn't much different from Kentucky or middle Tennessee. Even so they both are a different kind of southern

The upper South line extends northward closer to KC. Go and drive through towns in Vernon County, St. Clair County, Benton County, etc and tell me those places are NOT southern in some way.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-03-2015 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or