U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or West Virginia more southern?
Missouri 29 39.73%
West Virginia 44 60.27%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:04 AM

273 posts, read 349,062 times

Advertisements

I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:04 AM

18 posts, read 19,051 times
Any state that calls itself "West By God" is southern, case closed

Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 PM

978 posts, read 1,621,737 times
Southern Missouri is fairly Southern, but once you get north of I-44, things become primarily Midwestern. I consider Kentucky and Missouri to be fairly similar. They both have elements of different regions of the US. Kentucky has elements of the South, a slight midwest feel, and Appalachian feel.

Southern MO feels like the south, STL feels somewhat east coast, KC feels midwest, and NE MO near St Joe feel like the plains. Even the geography is completely different in these regions.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:20 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Southern Missouri is fairly Southern, but once you get north of I-44, things become primarily Midwestern. I consider Kentucky and Missouri to be fairly similar. They both have elements of different regions of the US. Kentucky has elements of the South, a slight midwest feel, and Appalachian feel.

Southern MO feels like the south, STL feels somewhat east coast, KC feels midwest, and NE MO near St Joe feel like the plains. Even the geography is completely different in these regions.
All counties south of KC north of I-44 feel southern to me. I just don't see how they could really be grouped with the vast majority of the Midwest in any way.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:42 PM

978 posts, read 1,621,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
All counties south of KC north of I-44 feel southern to me. I just don't see how they could really be grouped with the vast majority of the Midwest in any way.
Maybe, but I've never heard any Southern accents. If anything, they remind me of typical small town Midwest.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:56 PM

300 posts, read 327,504 times
I only know a few people from WV and none are super southern acting, but pretty Mich everyone from Missouri I know is. Going by that anecdote I vote Missouri.

Also when touring the Anheuser-Busch Brewery when talking to some people of Missouri about Natty Light, me and some Yankee friends making jokes about how gross it is a hick woman said "Come on now y'all, it ain't that bad!" It engrained MOs image as Southern into my head.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Maybe, but I've never heard any Southern accents. If anything, they remind me of typical small town Midwest.
Well, that is subjective to your own personal experience with regard to "southern accents," but I find them prevalent there. I used to live in the KC region so I have a bit of background knowledge of that area.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,320,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, that is subjective to your own personal experience with regard to "southern accents," but I find them prevalent there. I used to live in the KC region so I have a bit of background knowledge of that area.
It's actually not subjective. It's a subject of considerable scientific, data-based study. And you are wrong, as is the above poster. Not only is a southern accent rare in Missouri geographically, by population it is nearly a statistical anomaly. In West Virgina, by contrast, it is the norm.

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#SmallMapUnitedStates

Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,484,126 times
I don't know. West VA is an old English colony and Missouri is an old French colony, right?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 AM

622 posts, read 946,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
It's actually not subjective. It's a subject of considerable scientific, data-based study. And you are wrong, as is the above poster. Not only is a southern accent rare in Missouri geographically, by population it is nearly a statistical anomaly. In West Virgina, by contrast, it is the norm.

American English Dialects
Actually you are completely off base. To say that the southern accent on Missouri is a "statistical anomaly", is completely WRONG. First off that is one dialect map. There are numerous dialect studies that have been done....many with larger portions of Missouri in the southern dialect zone. Secondly even if we are going by that particular map it would include perhaps close to 1 million missourians in the southern dialect zone. I wouldn't call that an "anomaly". Maybe you should word your posts better to back up your information that you share. The area on your map probably represents close to 1/4 of the population of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or