Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:41 PM

19 posts, read 25,674 times

Advertisements

I love LA, it's my hometown and I was born and raised here. There are so many aspects that I like, how it's urban and suburban at the same time, the surrounding nature etc.

However, there is two things about this city that are pushing me out.
Firstly, California is very tax and regulation heavy and I don't like it, if you're not very rich, or very poor you're pretty much screwed.
Secondly, it is NOT diverse at all. It used to be diverse, but now it's just a Hispanic culture with sprinkles of white, Asian and black. I don't dislike Hispanics, on the contrary I find the culture fascinating. However Los Angeles doesn't feel like the USA outside of the über expensive areas. As a white dude I have experienced an attitude from many people of Latino descent that "this is OUR LAND and Mexicans are taking California back!" I have been discriminated against for not speaking Spanish, and told to "go back to Germany" (which is funny cause I'm of Portuguese and Italian descent). I am not reacting to a crappy one-time experience, this has been something that me and many other non-Latino or Asian people that aren't rich enough to seclude themselves in an enclave like Bel Air (although most white people are too PC to complain about it and afraid of being labeled racists) deal with a lot. Even in school (I went to school in the South Pasadena Unified School District, which is probably in the top 5 districts in the area) I got this attitude and it isn't something I want to experience which is why I want to move.

I'm not going to get into a racial debate, and Hispanic ain't a race anyway but a culture...but, I'm trying to find a city that is as much like LA as possible but not in CA.

I can sacrifice some things but I really like abundance of nature (especially mountains!! Idc about beaches that much actually), the fact that you can live in a home with a yard in the middle of the city (unlike some places on the east coast or SF) and the large population.

Other things I want:
A state that doesn't feel the need to tax everything, diversity without feeling like you are at a disadvantage for just speaking English.

I am thinking Phoenix (and Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe etc.), and perhaps DFW and Houston. I don't mind heat but hate crazy humidity.

My only concerns about the Texas cities are that the demographics are similar to LA and thus I will encounter the same problem where it feels like a Spanish city and not an American one.

Also coming to mind are Denver but I am concerned that CO is just as tax/regulation heavy as CA and maybe (big maybe) SLC which looks nice but I don't know anything about.

Sorry if I offended anyone, wasn't my intention. I will reiterate again that idgaf about people's race, but I do care about being disadvantaged for not speaking Spanish or being a white guy...which does happen in LA unless you're super rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
South Pasadena isn't very Hispanic. Don't you think you're exaggerating things? If you really want something like LA but with some twists, you're better off just finding a neighborhood you like within southern CA. There's nowhere else like LA.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
South Pasadena isn't very Hispanic. Don't you think you're exaggerating things? If you really want something like LA but with some twists, you're better off just finding a neighborhood you like within southern CA. There's nowhere else like LA.
Lol my friend, South Pas isn't that Hispanic but the county of LA is...I am not afraid of Hispanic people and I actually think the culture is cool, but as someone who has lived here my entire life, in the past decade this area (LA) has gone from a USA city with a Latin twist to a Mexican city with an American twist. I'm not the only one who has noticed it, black and Asian friends of mine also agree with me that the whole "La Raza/this is OUR land" thing is present throught the whole of California and it's kind of racist. It's the same thing down in the OC or up in the Bay Area (except for SF but I couldn't live there). It is what it is, I'm not complaining about the presence of Latinos, I'm complaining about the racism against non-Latinos. Btw, I grew up in South Pas but I'm grown and live on the west side now.

Also, the taxes and regulations suck. I'm not a big fan of our government on any level, I wanna vote with my feet lol. There is nowhere in Southern California that isn't under the California government, so my taxes will be the same and I don't like working all week to give damn near half of my check away to subsidize all the non-contributors in this city.

I know there is nowhere just like LA, but the thing is that in 2015 as it stands...unless you're really wealthy or a latino, living in LA kinda sucks. If you're in Santa Monica or something it's great but mostly it's crappy...not somewhere I want to have my future in.

I'm looking for something similar, just like how there is no exact replica of NY but Chicago is similar enough (compared to other US cities).

Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
There's really no other city like Los Angeles. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Phoenix

Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
What do you do for a living? That's probably the most important question.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Phoenix
That's what I was thinking too, it seems that Phoenix has absorbed a lot of LA refugees anyways so I'll be in familiar company lol

Old 01-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
What do you do for a living? That's probably the most important question.
I'm an X-Ray Technician. I work at an urgent care place because of the light work load but I have worked at hospitals.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
I've heard from fellow-city-data'ers that Houston has a lot of the same qualities as LA. It's less taxed and more integrated and truly "diverse" in the sense you're looking for (inclusion). Can anyone from Houston confirm or deny this?

Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinLA1989 View Post

My only concerns about the Texas cities are that the demographics are similar to LA and thus I will encounter the same problem where it feels like a Spanish city and not an American one.
Nothing wrong, per se, with not wanting to live in a city where lots of Spanish is spoken, but Spanish cities are demographically nothing like L.A. or Texas. Have you ever been to a Spanish city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.