U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2015, 04:26 PM
 
29 posts, read 23,377 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Did you read my post, or are just quoting it for fun? I just went over how Mexicans (not one that I know of, and I know many) never call themselves or consider themselves Spanish people. If anything, it is the opposite, and a Mexican (read: mestizo) is more likely to ignore his/her Spanish (European) ancestry, and consider themselves Native American. It is exactly because of this that California had the growth of Chicano nationalist movements (RAZA/MECHA etc) that linked themselves to local Native Americans (like the Gabrielenos, whose language is actually from the Uto-Aztecan family) and Aztlan (the imagined homeland of the Mexica/Aztecs before they migrated south to Teotihuacan (now Mexico City)). Even within Mexico, the Mexican is a prideful one (I don't do nationalism, so isn't a characteristic I share), and to them Spanish = oppressor, the conquistador, etc...not something or someone you want to be. If we did, do you think personalities like Hidalgo, Emiliano Zapata and Benito Juarez would be as widely celebrated as they are? Or even just look at the national symbol, la virgen of Guadalupe. She is brown and represents the people, the mestizo...not the Spanish, or the indigenous, but the mixed, la raza cosmica.

As to Puerto Ricans? I'm not sure why they call themselves 'Spanish'. You should ask one.


mestizo is a person whose one parent is White and the other is Amerindian, not the case of mexican, who are full blooded indigenous people o have liltle spanish blood, and i can understand what you say, but i have Friends in usa and in the forum that tell me that mexican people claimed spanish blood a lot, and it is not clear and can´t prove that have this blood or have very Little blood, because they prefer related to spain , do you understand? sorry my english is bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 AM
 
Location: El Sereno, Los Angeles, CA
733 posts, read 749,891 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medieval ballad View Post
mestizo is a person whose one parent is White and the other is Amerindian, not the case of mexican, who are full blooded indigenous people o have liltle spanish blood, and i can understand what you say, but i have Friends in usa and in the forum that tell me that mexican people claimed spanish blood a lot, and it is not clear and can´t prove that have this blood or have very Little blood, because they prefer related to spain , do you understand? sorry my english is bad
Mestizo is actually more of a cultural concept than anything else, people that are mostly indian by blood can still be mestizo if they're assimilated into it. Same thing with people of mostly European blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 03:59 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,922,096 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinLA1989 View Post
I love LA, it's my hometown and I was born and raised here. There are so many aspects that I like, how it's urban and suburban at the same time, the surrounding nature etc.

However, there is two things about this city that are pushing me out.
Firstly, California is very tax and regulation heavy and I don't like it, if you're not very rich, or very poor you're pretty much screwed.
Secondly, it is NOT diverse at all. It used to be diverse, but now it's just a Hispanic culture with sprinkles of white, Asian and black. I don't dislike Hispanics, on the contrary I find the culture fascinating. However Los Angeles doesn't feel like the USA outside of the über expensive areas. As a white dude I have experienced an attitude from many people of Latino descent that "this is OUR LAND and Mexicans are taking California back!" I have been discriminated against for not speaking Spanish, and told to "go back to Germany" (which is funny cause I'm of Portuguese and Italian descent). I am not reacting to a crappy one-time experience, this has been something that me and many other non-Latino or Asian people that aren't rich enough to seclude themselves in an enclave like Bel Air (although most white people are too PC to complain about it and afraid of being labeled racists) deal with a lot. Even in school (I went to school in the South Pasadena Unified School District, which is probably in the top 5 districts in the area) I got this attitude and it isn't something I want to experience which is why I want to move.

I'm not going to get into a racial debate, and Hispanic ain't a race anyway but a culture...but, I'm trying to find a city that is as much like LA as possible but not in CA.

I can sacrifice some things but I really like abundance of nature (especially mountains!! Idc about beaches that much actually), the fact that you can live in a home with a yard in the middle of the city (unlike some places on the east coast or SF) and the large population.

Other things I want:
A state that doesn't feel the need to tax everything, diversity without feeling like you are at a disadvantage for just speaking English.


I am thinking Phoenix (and Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe etc.), and perhaps DFW and Houston. I don't mind heat but hate crazy humidity.

My only concerns about the Texas cities are that the demographics are similar to LA and thus I will encounter the same problem where it feels like a Spanish city and not an American one.

Also coming to mind are Denver but I am concerned that CO is just as tax/regulation heavy as CA and maybe (big maybe) SLC which looks nice but I don't know anything about.


Sorry if I offended anyone, wasn't my intention. I will reiterate again that idgaf about people's race, but I do care about being disadvantaged for not speaking Spanish or being a white guy...which does happen in LA unless you're super rich.
This thread is going to be good.

I agree dallas is your best bet though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 04:01 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,922,096 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
There's really no other city like Los Angeles. Good luck with your search.
Aside from the weather and building architecture New York city would be close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,922,096 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've heard from fellow-city-data'ers that Houston has a lot of the same qualities as LA. It's less taxed and more integrated and truly "diverse" in the sense you're looking for (inclusion). Can anyone from Houston confirm or deny this?

It's true but are nightlife in Houston is no where near the level of nightlife in L.A. IMO its okay here. Shopping wise of L.A. kills us but we kill them in jobs, col, and economy.

Houston is like a more practical, less flashy form of L.A.

The op doesn't want to be around Hispanics lmao so his best bet is probably phoenix or Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,922,096 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinLA1989 View Post
Phooey, let's not get all into semantics here. You know EXACTLY what I mean. No, Los Angeles doesn't resemble Barcelona...it does however feel like one of the larger cities in Mexico (where I have been!).


Many people colloquially use the word "Spanish" to refer to all things Latino or Hispanic in this country. I might refer to Boyle Heights as a "Spanish neighborhood" even though it's actually a Mexican/Central American neighborhood. My parents are from New York, and they grew up in the little Italy section of the Bronx. If you asked them, they would tell you it's mostly Spanish people now, in reality it's mostly Puerto Ricans.

I am not writing an academic paper, you knew exactly what I mean...if you don't then I assume you haven't had much social interaction with Americans outside of your bubble. Because the colloquial use of Spanish to refer to all things Hispanic in America is widely used and almost never chastised unless it's by a Geography teacher or someone trying to be a smart*ss.


Btw, I have no problem living in a city with a lot of people speaking Spanish...at home, or with their friends. However I do have a big problem when people come to a country that is largely English speaking and then put the residents at a disadvantage by speaking English. My ancestors spoke Italian, in their homes and churches and all-Italian social events. But they learned English and would have never expected their fellow citizens to pander to their lack of English skills by asking them to learn Italian.
I agree. English needs to be made the official language of this country. I get that people want to hold on to their cultures but they came here. The United States sets the standards not their culture.

Technically, right now they have every right to demand that you understand their language if they make up a big percentage of the population because English is not the official language of the U.S.

English needs to be the official language. I think its the freedom of speech or some law that stops it from becoming the official language of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 04:33 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,922,096 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Couple of suggestions (I also lived in South Pasadena for several years when I lived in SoCal). Nothing will ever be exactly like LA, as LA is very unique.

1/ Austin, Texas
2/ Houston, Texas
3/ San Jose, CA
4/ Denver, CO
5/ Portland, OR
6/ San Luis Obispo, CA
7/ Walnut Creek, CA (reminds me of Pasadena, CA)
Oh yeah Austin. I would pick austin over dallas/pheonix if i were in your shoes op
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top