Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:19 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA - Take a Small Look …: http://youtu.be/AwGZToATlrI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. I'm not from here but moved here in my thirties and never left. I have not experienced this phenomenon at all. The people of Texas are generally super friendly and helpful and enjoyable to be around in my opinion.

Not only that - they're welcoming. Lyle Lovett said it best - "That's right, you're not from Texas but Texas wants you anyway!"

That being said, I think people live up or down to our expectations, and we often see what we expect to see in people and therefore we overlook many other traits. If you move someplace expecting the worst, you're likely to get it. If you move someplace expecting good things, that's likely what you'll find as well. I've lived all over the world and my opinion is that people are basically the same everywhere - you get out what you put in when it comes to relationships in both the personal and professional world.

There are, however, regions where the people are generally warmer and more outgoing, and Texas is one of those places.
I arrived in Texas with no such preconceptions. I had visited some relatives and decided to stick around after exiting the army. Every social circle I was in I had to hear about how Texas was better than everything else. Same thing in the work place. Still seeing the crap on my facebook feed from friends I still have back there.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I arrived in Texas with no such preconceptions. I had visited some relatives and decided to stick around after exiting the army. Every social circle I was in I had to hear about how Texas was better than everything else. Same thing in the work place. Still seeing the crap on my facebook feed from friends I still have back there.
I guess we run in different circles.

Many Texans, myself included, feel blessed to live here and are proud of the history and culture of our state. We do sincerely love this state. And when you think of the number of TRANSPLANTS to the state (once again, myself included) who didn't originally live here but do now, it makes even more sense that those who chose to live here, who chose this state over other states, either loved it from the get go (not me) or grew to love it (that's me). People who don't like it here and aren't from here often don't stick around - and that's OK too. Different bites for different likes.

I can only speak for myself and a few people I know that I've had this discussion with, but for us there's an underlying sense of GRATITUDE for where we now live. I guess some people could mistake that for pride.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess we run in different circles.

Many Texans, myself included, feel blessed to live here and are proud of the history and culture of our state. We do sincerely love this state. And when you think of the number of TRANSPLANTS to the state (once again, myself included) who didn't originally live here but do now, it makes even more sense that those who chose to live here, who chose this state over other states, either loved it from the get go (not me) or grew to love it (that's me). People who don't like it here and aren't from here often don't stick around - and that's OK too. Different bites for different likes.

I can only speak for myself and a few people I know that I've had this discussion with, but for us there's an underlying sense of GRATITUDE for where we now live. I guess some people could mistake that for pride.
I'm curious as to what age the crowd you associate with is and how big of a circle. I had numerous friends between 21-35, one positive I can say is that I made lots of friends. And I'm still in touch with many of them. But the natives always questioned why I was leaving or wanted to leave Texas when I decided to move away, despite most of them having never been outside the state. While a few that have, have only been around the south. All the transplants I know and knew, either left, or are still trying to get out. Know plenty of people that liked it the first year, but it didn't take long for the attitudes to wear on them. If you like it, great, more power to you, not trying to poo poo on your life. Just explaining my experience.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
You might want to take a look at Albuquerque. It has the bright, sunny weather you want, but doesn't get as unbearably hot in the summers as southern Texas and Arizona do.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
We have friends who have been trying to get us to move to Sarasota for years. They swear by it and because it isn't on the ocean side, it doesn't get as hot (so they say ). They are at the beach every weekend.

We thought about it, but our children enjoy snow too much to live some place that NEVER gets it. We considered around Charlotte and actually LOVE it around there. The people could not be any nicer. Food is great and inexpensive. It does get hot though so as much as you don't like the cold, would you be okay with humidity? My friend who moved there a couple of years ago LOVED being able to open the windows here in NY. She can only do it for a small fraction of the time down there and yet she still loves it and says she's never been happier.

I feel for you though. We are having trouble deciding where to plant our roots ourselves. You're smart doing it now. I wish we had done it before we had children.
Oh no. The Gulf side gets much hotter and stickier in summer, as the breeze isn't really as strong and the Gulf is warmer in summer, so more humidity and storms.

That said, the Gulf is chilly in winter. Therefore, there is cooler weather on the Gulf side than on the Atlantic side. But I'd agree with your friends that Sarasota and Florida in general is a good place. You can always cool off at the beaches or in a pool.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
If you can afford it, California or Hawaii. Otherwise, FL. Texas and the Southwest is much too hot in summer, and Atlanta, Virginia, and NM are still cold in winter, though better than up north.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Jacksonville, Charlotte, Atlanta

Old 01-10-2015, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 873 times
florida and san diego is the best place to live in

[url]http://www.dynamicdreamz.com[/url]

Last edited by nmdynamic; 01-10-2015 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: now best information provided
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.