Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago is around 13 million I believe within 100 miles.

The other is probably Detroit, which from what I found is 10,400,000 if you include the Canadian side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Chicago one....Detroit is the other.... Detroit brings in parts of Canada that border it. Detroit, minus Canada, is about 9.2 million.
I misunderstood the question. I thought it meant everything in 100 miles from point A to point B, rather than drawing a full circle that would go 100 miles in every direction. In that case, yes, Chicago does grab Milwaukee.

As for Detroit, I'm not certain if I'd count it the Canadian parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I misunderstood the question. I thought it meant everything in 100 miles from point A to point B, rather than drawing a full circle that would go 100 miles in every direction. In that case, yes, Chicago does grab Milwaukee.

As for Detroit, I'm not certain if I'd count it the Canadian parts.
Why not? Its an international metro area. Windsor, Ontario is closer to downtown Detroit than All Detroit suburbs.

You can center the radius at Jackson, MI and get a clean 10 million, but that would be a slight overlap into the Chicago 100 mile radius...basically NW Indiana. It would basically be the Detroit-Flint-Ann Arbor-Toledo-Lansing making up the bulk...with NW Indiana from metro Chicago. If you center the radius in Rockford, Il, and Jackson, MI....then they would not overlap and one would be 13 million (basically Chicago, Milwaukee) and the other 10 million (Basically Detroit-Toledo-Flint-Lansing). The Detroit 100 mile radius, however, totally excludes any overlap with the Chicago 100 mile radius, but includes parts of southern Ontario Canada.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-05-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Chicago one....Detroit is the other.... Detroit brings in parts of Canada that border it. Detroit, minus Canada, is about 9.2 million.
By your standpoint of a 100 miles radius

Houston - San Antonio is 197 miles
Houston - Austin is 162 miles.

You could pick a random spot at the center of that triangle and easily calculate parts of those metro areas, add to that much of Houston's new growth has been west of the city.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

You could pick a random spot at the center of that triangle and easily calculate parts of those metro areas, add to that much of Houston's new growth has been west of the city.
Cadwell, Texas as center of radius, is 7.5 million

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Why not? Its an international metro area. Windsor, Ontario is closer to downtown Detroit than All Detroit suburbs.
Different countries/governments, different currencies, and you have to go through customs every time to cross. I know they're both right next each other, but I always think of Windsor as being different because it's Canada. Maybe it's just me.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Different countries/governments, different currencies, and you have to go through customs every time to cross. I know they're both right next each other, but I always think of Windsor as being different because it's Canada. Maybe it's just me.
It is a different country....but there is no Berlin Wall. Thousands of people go back and forth daily.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

La Grange TX = 8.2 million

Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Almost everywhere outside of the Northeast, however, cities are simply spread further apart. It's not surprising to me at all that no area of the South has 10 million people in a 100 mile radius. It's simply less dense.

If you open it up to 150 miles, a circle easily includes Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Waco, Temple and Corpus Christi. Over 12 million people in that circle. Move that circle northeast and it would include most of Houston and Dallas along with Austin, the 35 corridor, etc. Easily over 15 million people. Finally a circle around 175 miles centered east of Temple would net about 20 million people.

There are a couple of 150 mile circles you can draw in other areas of the South/Southeast that fit 10 million. There's people there, they're just spread out a little more because the principle cities started out farther apart. Back when the country was founded, New York, Boston, and Philadelphia might as well have been different countries - now they're so connected we have mashup names for their over-lapping regions.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
would think somewhere sort of a little SW of maybe Akron OH might also be close - not the SE though

I think a location a little north of Trenton NJ might have the largest 100 Mile radius population in the US

Old 01-05-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
would think somewhere sort of a little SW of maybe Akron OH might also be close - not the SE though

I think a location a little north of Trenton NJ might have the largest 100 Mile radius population in the US

Wow....no doubt! Pennington, NJ = 29 million in 100 mile radius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.