Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hot or Cold
Hot 96 50.26%
Cold 95 49.74%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times

Advertisements

No way is 80+ extreme. Maybe 90+, but 80s is nice. Lol. This is what drives up all the swimming suits sales in the midwest when throngs of midwesterners spend thousands of dollars to escape the cold and go somewhere tropical where it is 80s.

Who spends money to do the opposite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:21 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Who spends money to do the opposite?
People who go to Aspen, Vail, Park City, Breckenridge, Stowe, Saddleback, and Whistler; or people who go to see the Northern Lights in Iceland; or the 70,000 people who travel to see the Ice Castle in Minnesota each year; or...

Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times

Whose to say that those days aren't good weather? I don't think you seem to understand that I'm talking about ridiculous heat. 90+ at 90%+ Humidity or worse.

I'm NOT talking about low humidity 80's (by comparison). This thread is about extremes, not about comfortable summer weather.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
A damper maybe on outdoor nightlife, you would certainly be able to recognize plenty of indoor night life.
edit: before you jump on this, I'm simply conceding that there are fewer people outside in the winter, though I never contested this.
And that's what makes summer nightlife better. You can be indoors, on a rooftop, in a pool, in a courtyard, on a boat, etc. During the winter, it's pretty much all indoors.

Quote:
Provided it's not hellish weather like it gets here in Florida. You know what happens when it gets over 90F here? People stay inside! Clearwater Beach turns into a ghost town until the sun goes down!
You know what happens when the sun goes down (around 4:30) when it's 24 degrees outside. Pretty much the same thing that happened before the sun went down. Cold during the day, cold during the night, all around sucking.

Quote:
Ya sure, I never contested that... but this thread is about extremes, not nice 60-80F weather
I can't imagine it staying 99 degrees around the clock, but I would take that over 4 degrees year round. I actually like to see my skin.

Quote:
Yeah, up north. Down here it stays hot and uncomfortable to the point where I won't even go outside after the sun goes down.
Up here, it stays so cold that people don't want to go out during any time of day. Then all you hear is people complaining about cabin fever. I mean, there is no "break out" for winter weather the way there is for hot weather. The only thing people are breaking out for winter are coats and sweaters.

Quote:
Come on down! Spend some summer months in south Florida!
I've spent whole summers in the Caribbean. I can do a South Florida summer...easy.

Quote:
You didn't but it sure seemed like you do!
I didn't say anything that indicated that.

I don't like January or February. That's two months out of the year. I don't mind cold weather around the holidays...it's sort of welcome at that point. But beyond that, it is truly terrible.

Quote:
I agree it's temporary and you deal with it. When the snow starts coming I start enjoying some winter sports! The cold weather allows for great sky viewing (if you're into star gazing) and there are plenty of things to do in the cold.
I enjoy going somewhere to do winter sports. Otherwise, I prefer walking out of my front door with swim trunks and a wifebeater. The few ski trips I will make over the course of my entire life are not worth the several weeks of agony.

Now swimming is different. I love to swim. And I can do that in pretty much any city.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Whose to say that those days aren't good weather? I don't think you seem to understand that I'm talking about ridiculous heat. 90+ at 90%+ Humidity or worse.

I'm NOT talking about low humidity 80's (by comparison). This thread is about extremes, not about comfortable summer weather.
That's what the OP states, but that's not what we were talking about. Either way, I'd still take extreme heat. There's relief to be found when the sun goes down. The only relief to be found with extreme cold is inside of a house.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
The Caribbean seems to be a bit cooler than South Florida -- this is just one page that I found though.

Caribbean Weather in August: Temperature & Rainfall Averages - Current Results
Florida Temperatures in August - Current Results

I'm not saying you can't do it by any means... but Florida heat is atrocious lol

Old 02-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
The Caribbean seems to be a bit cooler than South Florida -- this is just one page that I found though.

Caribbean Weather in August: Temperature & Rainfall Averages - Current Results
Florida Temperatures in August - Current Results

I'm not saying you can't do it by any means... but Florida heat is atrocious lol
Depends on the island and depends where on the island. Also, a lot of the houses in the Caribbean don't have central air like they do in the States, so all you can do is turn on a fan or open a window.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
I say cold because I enjoy dressing in layers and I look better in winter clothes than in summer clothes.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
People who go to Aspen, Vail, Park City, Breckenridge, Stowe, Saddleback, and Whistler; or people who go to see the Northern Lights in Iceland; or the 70,000 people who travel to see the Ice Castle in Minnesota each year; or...
No. I don't spend money to go to cold when I go to Vail, Breckenridge etc, I pay to go skiing. And I should know since I've done it before. In fact, one of the things that make Colorado an attractive resort area (besides the sheer amount of resorts and good terrain) is that it isn't as cold as some ski resorts in the midwest or the northeast. I love skiing when it's above freezing, something easy to do in Colorado.

I never knew of anyone making a trip to experience cold, whereas all you guys do it during the winter for warmth. This is why Miami is packed right now, with midwesterners, north easterners, and northern europeans getting their warmth in.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I say cold because I enjoy dressing in layers and I look better in winter clothes than in summer clothes.
Guess it's time to get in the gym...

To me, it seems that people who live in warmer climates generally have healthier looking skin. That's just a general observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.