Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:22 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times

Advertisements

From 95 headed north I'd say around Wilmington, DE..... cuz after that you see all signs to Philadelphia, Jersey and New York.....and it feels oh so northern.

DC burbs feel more "sunbelty" to me...

Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
From 95 headed north I'd say around Wilmington, DE..... cuz after that you see all signs to Philadelphia, Jersey and New York.....and it feels oh so northern.

DC burbs feel more "sunbelty" to me...
That's a first, it doesn't feel "sunbelty" at all. Architecure wise especially.... Alexandria, Old town Alexandria, Middleburg, Rockville....

Old 01-08-2015, 02:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAreTheStatistics View Post
Well I misspoke, the drivers start cutting you off again somewhere in PA, but they don't start honking at you while doing it until a bit further north towards dc as you say. I still say it starts around PA though, the transition OFFICIALLY STARTS in PA but is not complete until DC.
Oh ok I totally get what you're saying but what I meant is that the around DC there are many drives who feel entitled as if they own the road.

Last edited by Deluusions; 01-08-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
To me, anything south of Philly or Central Jersey begins to feel southern. I agree with the comment about the DC suburbs feeling sunbelt-like as well, but without the accents.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
My sister lives in Hampton/Norfolk area.....thats the furthest south i've ever been.lol...so its like once we hit the area of Wilmington im like "We almost home" even though its still in our Metro Area. Once i see bridges and train poles im good. lol
I used to spend my summers in Philly as a youngin, so I hear ya. 13 was the route. Wed start off with excitement cause of the CBBT then after awhile it was sleepy time. When one of my family members moved out of Philly to S.Jersey the DM Bridge was the big climax-anti climax moment because we would end up going into (cough-cough) the country to visit them first to get it out the way. The whole -Welcome to Cowtown- vibe can give you a different perspective on some things LOL. But we always knew Philly was nearby because of the radio.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAreTheStatistics View Post
I see you are breaking down the NE in terms of which part has more rude drivers and saying up north are "polite" what I'm trying to figure is where north of you could you possible be referring to, certainly not Providence (or the next city north) Certainly not Hartford or Springfield (although not as bad as Boston) and what other places north of you are there? You must not be going very far, are you staying in your own rural vicinity, maybe people know you?
My remark was meant as a joke. North and south are cardinal directions as well as regions, I'm breaking the Northeast relative to where I live. I live a bit north of Springfield, maybe drivers in Springfield city are rude, but I don't go there that often. People don't honk much in the towns here compared to further south of me.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Much of central and western PA may feel appalachian, not really sure midwestern to me at least
I agree. Southwestern PA (where I grew up) feels more Appalachian. Northwest PA is more mid-western than anything else. Harrisburg/York/Lancaster are starting to have more of an east coast feel as more east coast transplants move here, demographics rapidly change and traffic gets worse (urban sprawl is also starting to connect the cities).

Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
To me, anything south of Philly or Central Jersey begins to feel southern. I agree with the comment about the DC suburbs feeling sunbelt-like as well, but without the accents.
Wilmington, DE feels southern to you?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I agree. Southwestern PA (where I grew up) feels more Appalachian. Northwest PA is more mid-western than anything else. Harrisburg/York/Lancaster are starting to have more of an east coast feel as more east coast transplants move here, demographics rapidly change and traffic gets worse (urban sprawl is also starting to connect the cities).
yeah the mountains are sort of the divide in many ways for PA - Harrisburg, York, Lancaster etc are all east of the appalachians

Have never really spent much time in NW PA - have heard from people from NE Ohio who say there similarities say by erie - guess makes sense as they are pretty close and the other side of the mountains - SW PA is still in the mountains - on the whole PA is probably by area covered as much appalachian as anything - though the majority of the populous lives east of the mountains in what would be more NE feeling

Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM

34 posts, read 36,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Really? I don't find anything southern about New Jersey, Delaware or Maryland. They aren't New England but it's decisively northern in politics, culture, economy, you name it. There are different regions of the north just like there are different regions of the south. It doesn't begin to get southern until you get somewhere into Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.