Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 PM

96 posts, read 100,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Look at the votes for Obama vs. Romney. Is that subject too?

Is Maryland a blue, purple or red state?

Red states and blue states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What these past few years proved that there are intelligent voters in Maryland to have voted for the current US President and recently the new Maryland Governor in which I hope he does well and better than the last Republican Governor.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM

96 posts, read 100,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Religion, economy (that's definitely a no), wealth, sports? All of these factors has nothing in common with the south.

Beside Louisiana which is highly catholic as well.
Lets say your statement holds any weight then that will make Virginia along with North Carolina a Northern State.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
Lets say your statement holds any weight then that will make Virginia along with North Carolina a Northern State.
Religion - highly catholic. This does not occur in either Virginia nor North Carolina. Especially North Carolina.

Wealth - Maryland is the richest state along with Connecticut as a tie. Has one of the richest counties "Howard County" and has some the richest zip codes in the country. This only occurs in northern VA because it's a DC suburb but for North Carolina all of that is nonexistent.

Sports - Lacrosse is the most popular sport like in many northeastern states and is a hotbed. Yeah North Carolina is just a straight no for that one.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/articl...-numbers/20953

Economy - One word.... Washington DC, nothing in North Carolina can compete with that.

We can definitely cross out North Carolina. That's a big stretch but yes Virginia and Maryland are alike.

Last edited by Deluusions; 01-08-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
Hey $mk2395, nice to have you back. I like your new screenname.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
^^If you're from Norfolk, then why didn't you look up to DC or Baltimore as the "big city?" They are closer.
I don't look up to NONE of them...but my family ties in Philly were stronger. Also, back then when Hip Hop was booming in the street...Philly was that next best spot to easily get the fashion and record the music onto TDK/Maxell/BASF etc. A whole summer worth of recordings of -Street Beat with Lady B- kept a young bol ahead of the game my friend. Sometimes I had to stay in Maryland a week or two with my dads side of the family...only then for some odd errand/traveling with aunt to Laurel/Bowie would be the only reason to go round that way at that time. Even back then people on the Shore gravitated to Philly. Baltimore was a forgotten city until well into my adult life.

As I got old enough to travel on my own, Ive been up DC but they definitely was into their own Go-Go ,Madness, DC, love boat world. Only thing that got outta DC was those Da Link Went shirts. They get fresh though. Im sayin...Philly was the big city... DC was crack city (doing its own thing) and BMore was just....I guess a redheaded step child IDK. IFW Bmore though. People might not wanna hear it, but for real...Philly was "Up top" at the time and DC/Bmore was more like local or at least not in the NY/NJ/PHI bracket. DC had serious beef with NY cats. Somebody even got killed in my dorm while I was at NSU behind that type stuff. SMH. I must say, NY made a lot of enemies from running their big azz mouths and funny style attitudes back then. NY(tri-state) cats was feeling themselves a little too much. Now look at them. SMH. People use to go up north to shop...NYC-Philly...at first. That's not really necessary anymore and hasn't been since at least the early-mid 90's. There are other reasons one might float up DC for somn (at one time) or Bmore for somn, but I dare not really speak freely on here bout that. Those reasons though are strong ties too though. Might not be the answer you were looking for, but hey.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:06 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Maryland has been catholic since its founding. Do you disagree that Maryland has historically been a Southern state?

The South is becoming very Catholic, btw. Texas and Louisanna have been all along. Louisville KY probably has a large Catholic base going back to its founding. Does Memphis? It seems that all of the Mississippi and Ohio River towns are Catholic.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Maryland has been catholic since its founding. Do you disagree that Maryland has historically been a Southern state?

The South is becoming very Catholic, btw. Texas and Louisanna have been all along. Louisville KY probably has a large Catholic base going back to its founding. Does Memphis? It seems that all of the Mississippi and Ohio River towns are Catholic.
We're talking about the present.... It's 2015 not 1875

Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 PM

Philly probably isn't that much longer of a drive from Norfolk than DC. It is so much easier to drive up the Delmarva Peninsula. When I was a kid our family would take that route to NYC. Back then I95 didn't even suck that hard. It now takes me as long to get to Washington (from Richmond) as it used to take me to get to Baltimore. I hate 95 because I second guess trips up north that I used to take on a minute's notice.

Washington and Baltimore seem more out of the way from Norfolk (because Philadelphia is a straight shot) even though they are probably closer.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 PM

Yes the present.
Do you believe that Maryland with its huge catholic population was historically Southern?
If so, how does a large Catholic population make them Northern now (especially considering that the South has the most rapidly expanding Catholic population). Also consider that FL, TX, LA and cities like Louisville have a huge catholic population...in the present and historically.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Yes the present.
Do you believe that Maryland with its huge catholic population was historically Southern?
If so, how does a large Catholic population make them Northern now (especially considering that the South has the most rapidly expanding Catholic population). Also consider that FL, TX, LA and cities like Louisville have a huge catholic population...in the present and historically.
Well I have not thought about Texas because it's debatable that it's in the south for some people. I'm not trying to get into that argument with Texans who believe it's not. Although the whole state of Florida isn't catholic, you're referring to Southern Florida. Northern Florida is still very much baptist. Yeah I've already excluded Louisiana and as for Louisville.... Thats a city. Why would you compare a small city to a whole state. That's not a good comparison.

Yes Maryland of course is historically southern. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously high or something. Although again like I said it's 2015 not 1767 when the Mason-Dixon Line was formed. The line is 248 years old and completely outdated. Maryland is nothing like it was 248 years ago or even 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.