Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:24 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Meh. There's a subset of the population that raves about it and a subset of the population that loathes it. I personally think a majority of people fall into the same category as me - we don't give a *&^% and we're tired of hearing about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:27 PM

172 posts, read 292,017 times
Why do people seem to forget that Washington State legalized recreational marijuana at the exact same time that Colorado did? There are stores selling marijuana across the state. Not to mention, Seattle hosts the biggest HempFest in the world every summer.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:39 PM

114 posts, read 241,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
Why do people seem to forget that Washington State legalized recreational marijuana at the exact same time that Colorado did? There are stores selling marijuana across the state. Not to mention, Seattle hosts the biggest HempFest in the world every summer.
Probably because Colorado got a big head start. They city of Denver has 70+ recreational dispensaries open (not including suburbs) and Seattle only has 4. With Colorado leading the way making the first step into this uncharted territory the media also seems to be more focused on that state, therefore getting more of a spotlight.

Last edited by Shane73; 01-09-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 PM

172 posts, read 292,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Probably because Colorado got a big head start . They city of Denver has 70+ recreational dispensaries open (not including suburbs) and Seattle only has 4. With Colorado leading the way making the first step into this uncharted territory the media also seems to be more focused on that state, therefore getting more of a spotlight.
Both measures passed in November of 2012. Colorado got a head start over Washington in terms of opening more dispensaries more quickly, but not in terms of when it was actually legal to smoke. Also, Seattle has been slow but other cities in Washington State have a lot shops more per capita (Spokane, Bellingham, etc.) and they can easily be found in cities throughout the State.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 PM

114 posts, read 241,366 times
Quote:
. Colorado got a head start over Washington in terms of opening more dispensaries more quickly,
That's your answer to the question you asked. They rolled out something that was the first of its kind in the world; retail recreational marijuana. They did that six months ahead of WA, thus having more media focus and attention there. Colorado also has neighboring states with draconian laws on marijuana, two of which are suing the state challenging their legal status and taking it all the way to the US Supreme Court.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:55 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
Well for one, Colorado still has more lax laws than Washington regarding marijuana. For instance, unless you're a licensed grower, it's still illegal to plant and grow marijuana plants in Washington for recreational use. Growing a few plants (I believe the number is 6 total - 3 mature) for recreational use is legal in Colorado.

Another is that Colorado has a longer and stronger head start. Both states *voted* at the same time, but Colorado's dispensaries opened 6 months before Washington's and there's a lot more of them.

Colorado is much closer to states where marijuana is completely illegal. For all of the illegal states, Colorado is simply easier to get to, to purchase legal recreational weed, so I think it stands out more in people's minds.

Lastly, I think people associate Washington with Seattle, and Seattle has a strong national brand - coffee, hipsters, bookstores, tech companies, etc. Denver's brand was 'mountains'. So now it's mountains and weed.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
I'm proud of CO for having the balls to be one of the first to legalize, as well as I am of my home state of WA... but aside from that, I don't look at CO any differently than I did before legalization. I still think of ski resorts before I think of bong hits.

People smoked weed there (and here) before it was legal, and now they smoke it legally. Big whoop. It's great for the economy. That's all I care about.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I have a vacation place in CO. I haven't really noticed any changes.

That being said I do not support it being legal.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 AM

242 posts, read 413,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Meh. There's a subset of the population that raves about it and a subset of the population that loathes it. I personally think a majority of people fall into the same category as me - we don't give a *&^% and we're tired of hearing about it.
For me you'd be describing the Broncos with such a statement. (all "pro" sports fall into this category here)

Yawn.

As far as weed, I've seen no visual changes in my area from "legalization". The MMJ dispensaries were already here/selling weed (since 2009)...and most folks who were truly into weed entered into that realm many years ago, pre-Amendment 64.

The cars in the parking lots today at the rec shops are almost always from out-of-state. Nobody I know who lives here BUYS pot from these stores. Most folks who are into it are growers or simply know someone who grows and they source their weed from those folks rather than giving the Gov't a dime or be seen coming/going from a local (small town) pot shop. With employment NOT protected under these laws like alcoholism is protected/etc. it's an easy firing should your boss not like you/feel the need and force you to go pee. Needless to say, for many folks this is all still wayyy under wraps. It DEFINTELY isn't in any way shape or form "treated like alcohol"...past, that is, the $$$ dropped into the Tax man's greedy hand.

In the end, I'm not a fan of the retail end of this. Not only will it turn the game over to the corporations, but the entire "sales" scenario is merely going to keep the $$$ in the plant...whereas, if the Federal gov't waived a hand and said "Over 21..grow 6/possess all you grow/ NO SALES whatsoever"...the $$$ would soon die out because of the old "supply/demand" ratio/scenario...much like any other "produce" that is grown and sold and not >over-regulated< or seen as a tax cash cow.

But...the stoners are...and will...continue to play/profit and the Black Market will STILL EXIST as long as the Gov't keeps the laws and this new PROFIT game in motion. Take the $$$ away, take the crime away.

sadly, they are too stupid to see it and like many folks with their head firmly up their ***, think that "laws" will stop folks from participating. Pffft. LOL. They will never learn.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Unfortunately, it's tarnished. I always had Colorado on my list of possible places to move when my gf finishes school, but she is really turned off by it because the only thing it is known for now is marijuana. I don't really blame her. Who wants to live in what's considered the stoner capital of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.