Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 9,151 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am from Argentina and I was on vacation for 5 weeks in the USA. I would like to share my experience with all of you as I truly enjoyed your country. I first visited California cities of Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco and I really enjoyed all those cities but I did notice that California has a lot of Hispanics which helped me quite a bit at times due to the Spanish language. I visited Disney land, Hollywood, Venice Beach, San Diego zoo and alcatraz while in California. I than went to NYC and wow so much to see and do but too many people that made me feel boxed in. I finished my trip in Miami and I felt like I was in South America but nicer. The beach was nice but the people were very self absorbed and act like they are better than others.
Overall I thought California has it all and hopefully one day I can move their and I love Mexican food so that would be a plus. I also noticed an interesting thing in my travels and that was a lot of commercials on TV had a lot of black people that it would have seen that the USA was mostly black but I only saw a lot of blacks in NYC. Since in Argentina we don't really have blacks it surprised me how much the media promotes blacks in your country considering they are only 13% of population. I didn't see Asians or Latinos in commercials when I watch TV and my girlfriend was wondering why only blacks? Either way we had great time and hope to come back to California soon.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 PM

105 posts, read 169,528 times
Glad you liked it but why are you so concerned with commercials. Yes blacks are only 13%of the population and overreprented in both TV and print ads but who cares.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,154 times
Which parts of California were the best?

Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Just be careful with California. It has the highest cost of living in the nation. You must be rich to live comfortably there, unless you're in Sacramento or Inland Empire or some other inland place.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Which parts of California were the best?
I really liked San Diego the best as it has great weather and a very relaxing atmosphere. There is also a lot of outdoor beach activities as well. Many Mexican restaurants and Mexico next door lol. I didn't like Los Angeles that much because it is really spread out and too many homeless people everywhere. San Francisco was nice to visit but I couldn't see myself living there. San Diego won our hearts.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just be careful with California. It has the highest cost of living in the nation. You must be rich to live comfortably there, unless you're in Sacramento or Inland Empire or some other inland place.
Yeah I looked online at California cost of living and noticed it was extremely expensive to truly enjoy it. I think my girlfriend and I would do fine since we are studying computer science and those jobs pay well and we are taking English classes as well to better ourselves.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Don't listen to nep321. My family has been living in California for four generations now. We're comfortable and aren't rich by any means. They shouldn't generalize so much.

The entire state of California is not expensive. Lancaster, which is an hour away from the city of Los Angeles (Lancaster is in LA County, though) has very affordable housing. Palmdale as well. You can make it happen.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Don't listen to nep321. My family has been living in California for four generations now. We're comfortable and aren't rich by any means. They shouldn't generalize so much.

The entire state of California is not expensive. Lancaster, which is an hour away from the city of Los Angeles (Lancaster is in LA County, though) has very affordable housing. Palmdale as well. You can make it happen.
Your family has been living in CA for generations though. The OP is an immigrant just starting out in America and going to college. If the OP is planning to buy a house, there is no way on earth he will be able to afford even a modest standard of living in coastal California, unless it's in a not-so-good neighborhood, anytime soon. Renting? Sure.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Your family has been living in CA for generations though. The OP is an immigrant just starting out in America and going to college. If the OP is planning to buy a house, there is no way on earth he will be able to afford even a modest standard of living in coastal California, unless it's in a not-so-good neighborhood, anytime soon. Renting? Sure.
I was replying to your ignorant comment about having to be rich to live comfortable, in which you generalized millions of people, not just foreigners.

Do you personally know the OP? How do you know about their financial situation and means?

Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentinafutbol View Post
I really liked San Diego the best as it has great weather and a very relaxing atmosphere. There is also a lot of outdoor beach activities as well. Many Mexican restaurants and Mexico next door lol. I didn't like Los Angeles that much because it is really spread out and too many homeless people everywhere. San Francisco was nice to visit but I couldn't see myself living there. San Diego won our hearts.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Yes, San Diego is a nice place. But not only is it expensive but it is a hard place to find good paying jobs. The economy there is based on tourism, the military and some bio-tech. Not much else. Basically, lots of people want to move there and the competition for the good jobs that do exist is fierce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.